Amlogic Color Space / Depth information addon

Nothing to do, as per the first post. As long as you are using devel-1555851841 or later then it’s included as standard. All you need to do is play a video and press O on the keyboard, or remap a button on your remote to the correct function which if you use Keymap Editor is:-

“Fullscreen Video” > “Other” > “Show codec info”

Roidie,
are you able to add HDR10 + detection?

What shows in Kodi using the displayinfo script?

1 Like

No, I just display what the kernel reports, that would be a kernel level change.

roidy… Y not IE :laughing:

1 Like

sorry, the Google Web Translator, allowed himself to change your nickname. :smile:

1 Like

Many thanks for this good tool!

Could you please explain if the information shown in Kodi is the actual coding information of the file or how it is played back by Kodi?

I did a quick test and the result is very odd.
File #1 has 8 bit color depth (according to Mediainfo). During playback the Display information shows 10 bit. The color gradient is smooth on the screen.

File#2 has 10 bit color depth (according to Mediainfo). However, during playback Display information shows 8 bit. The color gradient is heavily posterized on the screen.

This File#2 has no color banding either on my PC or on the internal player of the TV. Only my CE box plays it with color banding. This is what I was investigating when found this topic.

On the left, the information of the video source, on the right, is the video information output, after decoding.

I too have some problems with color banding.

Try forcing a different bit depth, if you echo during playback then you’ll need to stop and restart playback to see the changes:-
echo 8bit > /sys/devices/virtual/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr
or
echo 10bit > /sys/devices/virtual/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr

You can also change the chroma sampling:-
echo 444 > /sys/devices/virtual/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr
echo 422 > /sys/devices/virtual/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr
echo 420 > /sys/devices/virtual/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr

I’m not sure if the values reported by the kernal are even correct, for instance if I echo 8bit,444 then displayinfo reports 8-bit, YUV444 which is correct however if I echo 8bit,422 then it reports 14-bit, YUV422.

Thanks for your help. My issue has been solved.
Let me explain if it helps anyone struggling with color banding.

File#1 had 8 bit color depth but CE/Kodi converts it to 10 bit output ->OK
File#2 was more tricky. The source was YUV 4:2:2, 10 bit/25fps, however Kodi plays 25fps content with 50hz refresh rate. The resulted YUV 4:2:2, 10 bit 50Hz on HDMI has high bitrate (>18Gbps) which would have needed support by all components over the path.
My HDMI cables were OK and also set the HDMI input on the TV (deep colour or HDMI enhanced mode) however the AV-receiver was not configured well and due to this the color depth was limited to 8 bit by Kodi.

Solution:

• Configure the enhanced HDMI mode on the AV-receiver as well, OR
  • Disable all 4k 50…60Hz resolutions in the settings/system/display/display mode whitelist.
1 Like

Hi, would hear if any one out there has the time and skills to make this feature available with
Arctic: Zephyr 2 skin, I have tried myself for days now and to be honest I don’t know what I am doing so haven’t come close anything useful at all, it will be highly appreciated.

Arctic: Zephyr 2
DialogPlayerProcessInfo.xml (9.2 KB)

Thank you so much @roidy for helping me with this, sadly it didn’t work with first try.

I wan’t to show you the original compared to your edit.

Original:

Edit:

Strange because it works perfectly fine on my N2 using Arctic: Zephyr 2 skin… The only thing I can think of is my Arctic: Zephyr 2 is outdated. I’ll have a look and see if it need an update.

Umm… I just checked and i’m running the latest Arctic Zephyr 2 0.9.37-alpha3 and it works perfectly for me.

1 Like

Yes that is indeed strange I’m on the same skin version and tried again download your file fresh but I get the same outcome as my last image, checked yesterday with Estuary where it still works.
I haven’t uninstalled your script yet after it got included in CE, which files need to be deleted is it only the one in .kodi/addons/script.amlogic.displayinfo or are there more?

1 Like

You should be using the one included with CE called CoreELEC Display Info version 9.1.100, If you still have the original called Amlogic Color Format v0.1 then uninstall that one.

Check to see if there is an uninstall button for the addon in Kodi, if there isn’t then you’re using the right version that ships with CE.

1 Like

Jubbi, it works now @roidy, but only after I choose “Run” under the add-on/script after reboot it won’t work again until the script is run.

1 Like

It works now after reboot also @roidy, I noticed 2 lines was missing compared to your Estuary MOD V2 .xml and added them the same place, dosen’t that sound correct to you?

<onload>RunScript(script.amlogic.displayinfo)</onload>
<depth>DepthOSD</depth> 

Thank you very much this is so cool to have :smiley:

1 Like

Doh!!!.. Well spotted, sorry my mistake. It worked for me because the script had already been run on my system. You don’t need the depth tag that’s just for the Estuary skin, but you most definitely do need to run the script in onload for it to work… LOL, sorry about that :grin:

1 Like

can anyone make a mod of displayplayerprocessinfo.xml for embuary skin?

I don’t have much success with your latest .xml have you tried it yourself?
I see you have added compared to the first.

<visible>Player.HasVideo</visible>