Amlogic S928X

Yes, it’s the wording, as usual. Looking at AVS forums it seems they’re using conversion to 8.1 or something

Dolby Vision profile 7 FEL

• The media player supports direct playback of Dolby Vision profile 7 FEL double-track and double-layer files. This is the most advanced Dolby Vision format. The media player plays video in this format using both tracks/layers. The important Dolby Vision information from the second track/layer (Dolby Vision RPU metadata) is transmitted to TV together with video data from the first track/layer. The passed video data uses 10-bit color depth - the maximum color depth supported by OLED-panels in OLED TVs, i.e. this fully uses the capabilities of OLED TVs. Combined with the full use of Dolby Vision metadata this gives an excellent Dolby Vision picture on the TV screen.

Widest support for Dolby Vision file formats

• Dolby Vision is supported for all popular file formats (MKV, MP4, TS, M2TS, ISO, movie folder structure). All popular Dolby Vision profiles (P5, P7 MEL and FEL, P8) are supported. The media player supports the largest number of variations of Dolby Vision file formats of any other media player.

Playback of Dolby Vision ISO/folder structures

• The media player supports direct playback of movie ISO/folder structures in Dolby Vision format (MEL and FEL). The extended Dolby Vision information is used and transmitted to the TV to improve the picture quality. This is possible due to the unique video playback and output engine created by Dune HD.

If you look at their other offerings it says the same thing and Fel does not work.

A friend of mine got one and broght it to me to compare with my AM6B+. It reproduces P7 FEL but does NOT play complete P7 FEL from any container (or we didn’t know how to display it); so it is presently on sale, with intention to buy AM6B+

They can say anything they want…
Until someone tested and confirmed it, it’s just marketing…
Their other device, with the same marketing wording, had been tested and confirmed to not play the FEL.

What we need exactly to be 7 FEL support ?

Decode 2 video streams in parallel

(below is a slight simplification - but useful enough to give an overview)

• Decode first track (BL) HEVC video

• Decode second track (EL) HEVC video

• Compose the first and and second track into a final video image with 12 bit colour depth.

• For DV-LL (Player Led) apply the RPU from the second video track to the final video image as tone map according to the display and send over HDMI to the display.

• For DV-Std (Display Led [tv-led]) encode the RPU data into the video image and send over HDMI to the display, the Display will then decode the RPU data and apply to the video image when displaying.

In the above case the second track is called FEL because it contain meaningful video data, if the second track contains no meaningful video data it is called MEL.

FEL = Full Enhancement Layer
MEL = Minimum Enhancement Layer

3 Likes

It has been said many times that 928x does not support Fel, and 922xj supports Fel

So who can support that?
Ugoos ? Amlogic ? CoreELEC ?

Amlogic s922xj + Coreelec + dovi.ko file.

we hope to see S928 support FEL soon as well we saw it support CE.

As far as I know, there’s absolutely no indication that FEL will ever be available for this device/soc.

Don’t say that :sweat_smile: let us hope will see S928X support FEL someday.

My thinking is this is probably not the reason.

I would think the 928x can happily decode multiple HEVC streams, and would need to be able to do this to support picture-in-picture etc.

The semi-red flag is I have never seen mention in any specs the newer SoC support P7, they just list supporting P5 and P8, but not P7.

P5 and a less extent P8, is the direction for DV for the streaming generation, P5 is close to matching the Colour Depth of P7 FEL, only limitation is no one supports high-bit rate content that is close to the rates as encoded on 4K BluRay.

So it seems likely P7 was dropped out of the SoC support in the silicon in the later iterations - maybe the composer element or something else (speculation).

And noting P7 is specifically for BluRay so that would also make sense as the silicon is not designed for BluRay players, but TV boxes, something that may have been a bit more ambiguous previously.

Can still hold out hope it may yet be there and the above is not the right thinking, it needs analysis on what is happening when attempting to play P7 FEL on these devices.

Also with enough time and effort - given it very likely the SoC can decode two HEVC streams easily (not least because the EL is just a 1080p stream), if there is enough HP in the CPU then could implement an open source composer solution like DoViBaker given time and effort.

5 Likes

@Damas007 Liked my avatar that much did ya :joy:

As written in past already there is no interest to play P7 on a device with a physical drive.
It’s only because of not legal BD rips.

Formats for portable are commonly used P5 or P8.

Dune do just the same we do on non FEL supported SoC by convert to P8.1.

Yes, Dune/Zidoo technically can play back a FEL file, it just doesn’t say if the enhancement layer is actually used (it’s not). In fact they tell you that directly, just worded in a convoluted way:

The important Dolby Vision information from the second track/layer (Dolby Vision RPU metadata) is transmitted to TV together with video data from the first track/layer.

P7 FEL technically works, it just is played back as MEL (RPU only with base layer, no EL). Same as Shield Pro, Homatics, etc.

Bottomline, no FEL on S928X, it is SOC restriction. S922XJ still king. Only buy S928X if you need 8K or AV1.

are you sure it is Soc limitation?

Should be based on the dovi.ko module. If the SOC specific dovi.ko module doesn’t support FEL, then nothing can be done since it is closed source.

In S922XJ, the 64-bit dovi.ko module is from Fire Cube Gen 2, which ran the same SOC so still works on Am6b+.

1 Like