An update is available, would you like to update now?

I don’t see what the big deal is. The nightlies work well and seldom break things. The team made a decision a while back, and carrying on won’t change it.

It’s free software, deal with the “minor inconvenience” of a reboot most days or deal with lack of Bluetooth. Eventually a stable will be released and it’ll all work out for you.

In the meantime, don’t question the decisions of the team, it’s their work and their rules.

Why do you write such the obvious and clear things? I’m just asking now if the proposed solution doesn’t break add-ons’ update :slight_smile:

Should we expect something like 9.2.1?

Or do we just wait a while for 9.3? I jumped onto a nightly for multi channel LPCM,
but would prefer to be on a stable build.

1 Like

Eventually there will be a 9.2.1 that will be enabled for auto up. The developers just want to sort out a few remaining issues first. Which has been slow because some of the developers have had holidays, and real life stuff impacting their available time to do so in the past month.

1 Like

Sounds great, I wasn’t sure if those just happened every now and then. Thanks team for all that you do!

So I keep you my fingers crossed (still not possible to donate while I know why you havent organised that :slight_smile:), look forward to that needed version :slight_smile:

Can we at least have some SSH method to disable it? Really annoying.
(EDITED)

This issue has been discussed in Nightly’s thread and you can read the team’s stance on this issue there.

1 Like

I didn’t want to open a new thread,so I ask here.Are we going to wait a new stable release soon or not?

Something strange happened. I don’t get Update notification any more, but earlier got them on every Kodi restart.
Has something changed? Are the nightlies updates working?

My version is 20191101

This thread should be closed. All info is available in the nightlies thread.

1 Like

not possible to find any convenient solution there, the only one is this one:

put into

hosts.conf

127.0.0.1 relkai.coreelec.org

thx to a user here who has given a very strong hint for this solution, just changed the link

1 Like

So the devs can’t force us update the nightlies every day such way, and some of us have no other reliable choice than use nightlies.
Having that, I think forced notifications are just useless.

Still, we need everybody respect the rules when reporting bugs.
I suggested use github bot to check and labeling reports, as Kodi does.

Why are you wasting your energy. Ignore update notifications and move on - or simply move on and shut up bitching about it.

Shoog

1 Like

What about another proper solution?
I could just stop creating nightly builds. This way you would never be bothered again to update your installation.

Seriously, we said multiple times, why it is important, that everyone is on the latest nightly version. Forced updates are disabled at the moment, so all you get is an update notification after rebooting your device. But people can’t stop bitching about it and provide “solutions” to prevent even those notifications.

If you don’t like those notifications or regular updates, then just STOP USING NIGHTLIES.
You always have a choice…it’s really easy.

Btw.: In this post I don’t speak for the whole team - it’s just my own frustration about the behavior of some people here.

10 Likes

No reason to be frustrated.

I think the whole problem is caused by some misunderstanding and maybe some corner usecases where not so obvious or known when the decision has been taken.

In my humble opinion, instead of saying it is important everybody in the whole world is on newest nightlies I would say it is important people reporting problems/bugs are on newest nightlies. This popup/info could be displayed when user activates debug logs or when he/she connects via ssh. Just my humble 2 cents.

1 Like

I would love to agree with you, but it doesn’t work this way.
We provided nightlies without any update notification in the past, and most people were using versions as their daily driver, which were several weeks or months old.
They don’t come to our forums and proactively provide a debug log or even have a clue how to use ssh. They just discover a problem in their installation and report it with as less information as possible, even if it was already solved several versions ago.
That increases the support burden a lot.

Some people forget, that we are not providing those nightlies for production use, but to eliminate any bugs before distributing the next stable version. We expect everyone using our nightlies to help us by reporting any bugs. This only makes sense, when always the latest version is being used.

Do you even know the notification pop ups no matter of what every 6 hours, provided new build exists?
It pop ups even if you pressed No and never touched your Kodi since then.
https://github.com/CoreELEC/service.coreelec.settings/blob/62e888364f2733af65ac4fd3573adf5c20eb99d7/src/resources/lib/modules/updates.py#L587

And how often do you see those popups after spending a few seconds actually updating your device?
Exactly, next time an update is available.
Did you bother to read the warning section on the nightly website, which is available since a few months?

@anon88919003 Can we make the user’s “No” decision persist until next reboot, for example?
https://github.com/CoreELEC/service.coreelec.settings/blob/62e888364f2733af65ac4fd3573adf5c20eb99d7/src/resources/lib/modules/updates.py#L521