Best device for Coreelec in 2022/2023

that can play all sound formats with passtrough

you mean that sends sound formats directly to the AV receiver ? If yes the N2+ also does that.

And what is real tv led ?

Real TV-Led Dolby Vision. TV-Led Dolby Vision (and to be honest, Dolby Vision in general) is at least partially broken or ā€˜fakeā€™ on every other media streaming box.

See below video on why TV-Led DV is desirable

1 Like

Thank you a lot !
My device had ā€œDolby Vision Processingā€ set to Auto, and was in fact Player-Led :man_facepalming:
I watched movies the wrong way during all these years :sob:

I donā€™t expect everyone to agree with me, of course, but, this being one of the threads I read the most on the CoreELEC forum, I always thought that (is only my opinion) it would be a good idea to ā€œseparateā€ the debate into several parts.

From my point of view, if you read the title of this topic and you consider it literally, the best device for CoreELEC, for sure, has to be an expensive device. Around ā‚¬100, maybe more.

So, devices under ā‚¬50 cannot, almost by definition, be ā€œthe best device for CoreELECā€, for sure.

However, for many users (including me), perhaps the most interesting question would be ā€œThe best (quality)performance-price device for CoreELECā€?

In this sense, I, personally, would recommend a Vontar X4 (S905X4), for example. I have bought a couple of 4/64 units for ā‚¬40 and, for their price, they work very well (I always put a fan underneath them to control the Temperature), and they provide me what I want (VPNs: Tailscale, Zerotier, Wireguard ) + tvheadend server + client + wellā€¦ of course, good video playback.

And, perhaps, another ā€œcategoryā€ would be interesting: ā€œThe best really cheap device for CoreELECā€.

I have never bought a really cheap TV Box (less than ā‚¬25), but there are people who have some with S905W2 chips with CoreELEC, for example, around ā‚¬20 and they are happy.

Of course, you canā€™t expect the performance of an S905X4, or the devices that really are ā€œthe bestā€ in absolute terms, but in terms of performance-price they are probably a good option.

As I said at the beginning, it is just my point of view, I do not intend to convince you of it, but, perhaps, a division in this debate would be interesting:

1. The best device for CoreELEC in absolute terms
  2. The best device for CoreELEC in terms of performance-price in the mid-range
  3. The best device for CoreELEC among those with a very low price

Kind regards

2 Likes

How will we know itā€™s ready by the way ? An announcement on CE website ? Forum ?
Can you share the URL please ? :slight_smile:

I like devices that dual boot CE and full Android support with Widevine L1, Netflix certification and Dolby AC4 so Homatics 4K and SEI variants are my ā€œbestā€. I like the advanced BT remote with the G2 myself since I use number keys a lot. AV1 in h/w is a bonus and potentially important even with CE only. Plus I donā€™t have any DV media or the knowledge or tools to create my own mkv files anyway.

Im more than happy with S905X3. (X96) I even have 2 x H96 (S905X2) that perform faultlessly. I have no need for DV as I find HGR10 is more than enough :slight_smile:

Hello coreELEC team can I run coreELEC on formuler z11 pro max with amlogic S922XJ??

So right now, if I want the best device to play my local media with the most support then the best option is the am6b+? I have a dune hd homatics box but from what Iā€™m seeing even though the am6b+ is older is much stronger?

@GreyFoxRTX yes, AM6B+ is more powerful

Itā€™s also fully supported - itā€™s available in the device list:

After some figuring things out on my part, Iā€™m having good luck with the La Potato. Itā€™s pretty quick with the sd card and emmc.

Where did you find that list?

Itā€™s under downloads (top of page) ā€œSelect your deviceā€.

1 Like

you can also see here: coreelec:devsupported [CoreELEC Wiki]

3 Likes

Is this right? According to the Wiki the AM7 can run both ng and ne:

|Ugoos AM7|4G|sc2_s905x4_ugoos_am7.dtb|S905X4|Amlogic-ng|

AM7|4G|sc2_s905x4_ugoos_am7.dtb|S905X4|Amlogic-ne|

Since SC2 Amlogic-ne is preferred.

Hello everyone, do you know what the Khadas Edge 2 is compared to the Vim4 ? On paper, this box seems to be one of the most powerful currently. Are HD audio formats well supported on CE ? HDR10 ? ā€¦

The Khadas Edge 2 uses a faster SOC than anything Amlogic currently offers. But CoreELEC only runs on Amlogic SOCs, not Rockchip SOCs.

1 Like

I thought things had changed. I thought this document listed the platforms compatible with CE, but now I see the titleā€¦ A column should be added to specify CE compatible. Thank you for this information YadaYada.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if the Ugoos AM6B+ can software decode AV1 at 4K? The SoC is beefy, but Iā€™ve yet to find out if itā€™s beefy enough.