Best device for Coreelec in 2022/2023

Yes, but the setup is more completed.

Great news about this progress on the SOC S928X. Thanks to all the devs.

Now, question focused on GUI display. The Khadas Vim4 has better multitasking capability thanks to its more powerful GPU and more RAM, while the AM8Pro has much better CPU performance with its Cortex-A76 cores. Therefore, in reality, which of the two in your opinion does the best to display the Kodi/CE graphic interface in 4K with a greedy Skin like Arctic Fuse for example ? Do you know if there are any existing comparisons and measures in this direction ?

(Confirmation that a Vim 5 is in preparation: VIM5 (S928X-K)? - #3 by numbqq - General Discussion - Khadas Community)

1 Like

Itā€™s debatable which is a more powerful SOC, the A311D2 or S928X. The S928X is only ~1 year newer than the A311D2.

S928X - 1xA76 core + 4xA55 cores
A311D2 - 4xA73 cores + 4xA53 cores

The S928X has one fast big core compared to 4 slightly slower big cores on the A311D2. The major drawback of the VIM4 is that it is not DV licensed. Khadas makes developer boards, and none of their devices are DV licensed for that reason.

Iā€™m not sure how the S928Xā€™s newer Mali G76 GPU compares to the older G52 GPU. The GPU on the S928X has 2 shader cores with a newer GPU architecture vs 8 shader cores on the A311D2.

Know idea about skin rendering between the two either. Iā€™d assume this is mostly CPU and not GPU dependent.

1 Like

After considering the ToX3 and Kinhank G1, I saw a bargain on the Ugoos AM6B+ on AliExpress:

There was no options for which power adapter I wanted and skeptical about this site so hereā€™s hoping I get what I ordered.

FYI - I chose the G10S BT remote although I use the Yatse app on my phone to control Kodi.

1 Like

Beware of this seller, he seems to be a scammer, especially since the price is very low, and there are no reviews for this seller, and there are no sales on this device from his store.

You wont get anything. Im sure. Happened in other users too.
I hope you will get back your moneyā€¦

I agree with you really in AE you have to be careful when you do business with them but regarding your money donā€™t worry you can refund but the matter will take time till get your money.

I finally got the chance to actually watch some movies on my Ugoos. Everything is great except for one small issue. I havenā€™t had a ton of time to trouble shoot, but I thought I would throw it out here in case someone has a quick fix idea.

Playback is perfect until I use left or right to skip forward or back 10 seconds. Then playback it very stuttered until I pause it for a few seconds and resume playback. Any thoughts?

AliExpress side with the buyer, they want to be known internationally so they are as good as Ebay, if you have any issues and the parcel didnā€™t come they will give the funds back to you. Saying that I would still not buy from a new seller without history and when itā€™s almost half the price of other boxes I would definitely not buy lol

seems like it was a scam because the listing has gone

Yes
Read the Ugoos install guide
Ask your questions in the Ugoos Thread

Not this Thread

Any news on your box?

I had both the Ugoos AM8 and the X96X10 Pro in my cart.
After discovery no profile 7 fel playback
Already have that with Kinhank G1

So jumped on the Ugoos AM6 Plus Bandwagon.

On aliexpress seller was SZBOX store
50 plus units sold

sorry for my bad English. Iā€™m very interested in the Ugoos AM8B + box. From what Iā€™ve read, itā€™s currently the best for CoreElec. Iā€™m also interested in how the remote control works to turn it on and off. Iā€™d also like to use my Harmony Hub. It doesnā€™t have an infrared receiver, does it?

Yes it does have an infrared receiver and the hub can connect via Bluetooth.

no I want infrared and no Bluetooth

The AM6b+ is the best, not the AM8.

2 Likes

Where you read that am8 the best?

I think @DayOneX meant to say AM6B+ but in error said 8B+ā€¦ which doesnā€™t exist.

How does Ugoos SK1 compare to AM6B+ in terms of running coreelec? Any advantages for paying a bit more and buying a SK1? Thanks

Same discussion as above, you will pay more to get less.

The SK1 has AV1, 8k playback, 4K UI. It uses a newer 5.4 linux kernel, and will be supported by CE for longer. The AM6+ works with kernel 5.15 (CE-NO) but has no DV there. CE support for the AM8 is still new, and there are some audio issues that may or may not get worked out.

The main benefit of the AM6+ is DV FEL support, if you donā€™t care about that then an AM8 might make more sense.

1 Like