Best device for Coreelec in 2022/2023

Or the Kinhank-g1 which is half the price,or more.

And latest rumor,update to Android 12 is on the way.
How this affects CoreELEC
Unknown

1 Like

Hi,

I would like to thank you in advance for your help and apologize in advance for not being a technical expert. I have tried to inform myself as best I can in advance.

Iā€™m currently using an Orbsmart S86 (Beelink clone with S922X) and use it together with CoreElec to play videos and audio from the LAN. So far, it works great and I have no problems.

Since I also take the box with me when I travel, I have set up a WireGuard VPN connection so that I can access my LAN while on the road and donā€™t have to take any additional SSDs with me. The connection works fine in principle, but the connection keeps stalling and I havenā€™t been able to localize the problem so far (see Link).

Now I would like to test the whole thing again on a different box with a different SoC, to maybe get to the bottom of the issue (but rather on a laymanā€™s level, Iā€™m not a programmer or anything like that)

But if I invest in another box, I would like to choose a newer generation so that I can look a little further into the future.

Although I have now read a lot in wikis, Wikipedia, forums and websites with tests, I am still not quite clear about the SoC generations, which is why I am turning to you here and asking for your kind support. This is what I have researched so far and I would like to know if this is correct and if I have overlooked a version.

=> I would only want to test boxes that are officially supported by CoreElec (CoreELEC - Device Trees).
=> In addition, I have noticed that many boxes are currently not available for purchase. This further limits the selection.

(Currently: S86 with hexa-core CPU AML S922X)

According to my research, I consider these boxes to be an improvement:

AML S922X-H, e.g. Beelink GT-King Pro
AML S922X-J, e.g. Ugoos AM6 Plus
AML A311D2, e.g. Beelink GT-King II
AML S928X, e.g. Ugoos AM8
AML S905X4, e.g. Ugoos AM7 or DuneBox
AML S905Y4, e.g. BuzzTV HD5

=> but according to my research, none of them are (almost) available in Germany or Europe?

The question: Do these boxes provide any significant improvement at all? And if so, does anyone have any tips on where I can buy them?

And: Have I overlooked anything? Are there other SoC that I should consider?

Thank you very much,
SHC

go for Ugoos AM6B Plus if you want full support FEL and CE.

Any box with the s922xj.

Ok, got it.

With regards to the supported devices it is ā€œUgoos AM6 Plusā€ and ā€œMinix NEO U22-XJā€, right?

Just out of interest: what is the advantage of an S922X-J over an S905X4 or S905Y4? As far as I have read, the S905X4 and Y4 are newer SoC, right?

And what are the disadvantages of the A311D2 (apart from availability)?
What means ā€œFELā€?

Thank you very much!

Alot / all of your questions have been answered many times.

It will require more reading/research on your part.

If you do not know what fel is.

You probably wonā€™t need the Ugoos or minix
S922X-j

You were right @freddy, it was a scam. Luckily Aliexpress paid me back without me needing to do anything - they detected the tracking number wasnā€™t valid.

Would love to hear your thoughts on Tox3 vs Kinhank G1 vs Ugoos AM6B+.

Have heard good things about Tox 3

Kinhank G1 is impressive working excellent with CoreELEC NE!!!

Also now have Ugoos am6 B plus
For FEL playback and to test cpm Builds
This Box is Awesome!!!

The best of all i have now!!!

1 Like

Iā€™m facing the same question now, my S905x3 is running out of USBs for WLAN (H96 Max X3 TV Box 4GB Ram 32GB).

Ugoos AM6B Plus is, if at all still available in DE, well over 150ā‚¬, is the price really justifiable?
On Ebay you can find the hardkernel ODROID N2+, 4GB RAM for under 70ā‚¬ with shipping.
Too bad CoreELEC is not available for x86. (N100, sometimes available for just over 70ā‚¬ with AV1 dec.)

$150-200 is what people are willing to pay, even if that is a bit expensive considering the s922x is 2017 tech. Itā€™s the same as Nvidia with the Shield.

You can also look for the Minix U22XJ new or used, but itā€™s going to be in the same range. You may be able to find a 2nd gen Cube for $50-100 on eBay, same SOC, same CE video playback capabilities (including DV FEL). It does have to be a new Cube, to be unlocked to run CE.

If you donā€™t care about DV, the Odroid N2+ is the best option as far as price. This thread has gotten limited DV playback working on non-DV licensed boxes, and would work on the N2+.

Or you can get an S905x4 box with DV support (just no DV FEL) for $80-120. That newer SOC has AV1 support and a newer kernel version for longer future support with DV.

1 Like

The cheapest that you can find the AM6b+ in China is about $115 add in the international shipping and you can figure out the amount of price gouging.

1 Like

Over the past 2 years i have referred to/posted about 3 or 4 boxes.

Tanix TX5 Plus Deluxe Amlogic S905X3
Flawless!!!

Hk1x4 Amlogic S905X4
Some issues with wifi in NO 5.15.119 kernel

Kinhank G1 Amlogic S905X4-j
Excellent Box great price

Ugoos Am6b Plus Amlogic S922X-j
Recent purchase August 6th
Lots of testing left on this one yet!

*** if you do not have a 500 Gig/Terabyte/Movie library/remux Dolby Vision FEL profile 7
Or no interest in that form of Dolby Vision Playback.

Then you probably dont need the Ugoos

*** Of course the other pro about this Box is the Testing of cpm builds!!!
Hopefully will be moved to CoreELEC in the future

Its all up to you/the user
What your needs are ???

Happy Testing

2 Likes

Hi folks, I am trying to figure out which box is best for my use case, but am a bit confused by all of the different recent versions of hardware out there. My requirements are pretty simple: AV1 support, full passthrough audio support, HDR/DV support (not that worried about FEL), and ideally, can support Plex.
I bought a new Zidoo P30 Pro (based on AML S928X) in the hopes that it would be the device that delivered everything, but itā€™s got some growing pains. So, a few questions:

Does anyone know if a generic version of Coreelec can be installed on the Zidoo P30? I recognize itā€™s not officially supported, and I donā€™t see an SD card slot on the device, so not even sure how Iā€™d be able to try/test this?

If not, is there a AML S928X based device that people recommend - perhaps the Ugoos AM8? Ideally one that will be fully supported (ie, not one that needs a generic build). Iā€™m leaning in this direction primarily because of the newer hardware, but donā€™t want to make the same mistake I did with the Z30.

Finally, if there isnā€™t a S928X device thatā€™s working/supported well (ie, no significant bugs or issues, or real concerns that those issues wonā€™t ever be solved), is the fallback recommendation still the Ugoos AM6b+? Iā€™m a bit worried about this one because (if my reading/research is correct), it doesnā€™t support AV1 - but Iā€™d love to be proven wrong or pointed in the right direction! Perhaps a Dune device?

Really appreciate your latest thoughts in this space - thank you!

You can trying loading CE on a USB stick and booting off of that. Youā€™d need to find the Zidoo P30 mechanism to enable USB booting. It could be a pin hole reset button that you have to hold to a certain duration. The P30 will likely need a number of dtb fixes to accommodate the different hardware, but maybe it is compatible enough with the generic dtb to at least boot.

Youā€™ll get most of the same CE capabilities with the s905x4 as the s928x. The s905x4 has been around longer and itā€™s CE support is more mature. AV1 is working in CE on the s905x4, but not currently on the s928x. The s905x4 are also a bit cheaper. The s928x does have a 5th A76 CPU core that makes it faster.

Otherwise the AM8 has the best CE support out of the s928x boxes.

1 Like

At least my AV1 encodes did work the last time I tested on the Ugoos AM8 Pro.

2 Likes

Android boxes with the S905X5 and ATV14 should be coming out next month and weā€™ll probably get support from Coreelec soon. I would probably hold tight and see what the near future brings.

2 Likes

Due to the hardware AV1 support, I will probably switch from my AM6B+ to the AM8 Pro once CE stabilises. I donā€™t have that much need for DoVi FEL support as I mostly play back my own encodes anyway and itā€™s easy to bake the layer in those.

Thanks everyone - sounds like the AM8 Pro is a reasonable bet to explore. Also cheaper than the Z30 Pro, so will return the Z30 and try to get more aligned with you all! Appreciate the feedback!

Thatā€™s not how FEL works. You cannot just ā€œencodeā€ the EL into the regular video stream. You will always lose information if you leave the EL out.

Dovibaker works very well

1 Like