Best device for Coreelec in 2022/2023

heads up for anyone interested, aliepress have a back to school sale on, you got a $12 discount on the Ugoos AMB6+

I think 5 days left on the sale

Thereā€™s a much cheaper one (50% off) here (not sure how reliable the seller is):

EDIT
URL deleted, it no longer exists. Was probably a scam.

1 Like

It can be extremely close. Screenshots credit to R3S3T_9999ā€™s DV stuff doc:

Three comparisons that show DV FEL to an encode. Basically the same:

I think it is better to watch a good FEL encode vs a higher bitrate remux that falls back to P8 only. Marginally more grain with the P8 remux, but the colors can be far off. The encode is more similar to the disk source and the grain/detail loss is marginal vs a remux.

Of course proper FEL remux playback with a S922XJ player like Am6b+ is still the best, but not everyone wants the storage space penalty that goes with remuxes.

the offer I put on has gone now, only $1 off. No chance you getting 50% of what market price is from AliExpress. doesnā€™t work like that. The sellers page has also been deleted. so expect now to wait to get your money back. anything more than 20% from market price and Iā€™ll be sus about the purchase but 50%, why 50%, even at 30% itā€™s crazy bargain.
50% so people impulsively buy

I also fell for this but Aliexpress reimbursed me.

When you ordered, could you choose a plug type?

I did not order, I already have one. I found the link on the Kodi forum, but there theyā€™ve also concluded that itā€™s almost certainly a scam.

I didnā€™t order, but yeah the link I posted you could. aliexpress have sales on throughtout the year. this was a good sale $134 (pre tax) I think

I expect to get another sale like this or slightly better in Christmas sales

Ugoos would want shelf space for their new box too

does Ugoos still make the AM6B+ boxes or have they stopped? Iā€™m thinking of buying one more as backup if there is any sale in futureā€¦or is there still plenty left in the market?

I doubt itā€™s going away any time soon. Theyā€™ll be making them for a while Iā€™d assume. wait for Christmas sales or next sales event

Greetings! I am new to CoreELEC and I have read quite a number of posts here already. I have many years of experience with Kodi in the past, using OpenELEC, later LibreELEC, and currently O$MC on Vero4K+.
I am looking for a replacement for my Vero 4K+ because it doesnā€™t support AV1.

I am not very keen on having DV L7 FEL, so the S922X-J is not my target, mainly because it doesnā€™t support AV1.

Performance-wise the S928X-K seems most interesting, but the boxes like Ugoos SK1 seem a bit expensive for my taste. Also this is a rather new entry in CE so I would expect that it takes a while ā€œto get it all rightā€, I am not so much up for that.

My current selection for the chipset is the S905X4 and there seems to be a variety of cheap boxes coming with that.

And I have lots of questionsā€¦

All the cheap boxes use the S905X4 without -K or -J. The Boxes coming with -K or -J cost around 2-3 times as much as those without -K/-J.
(1) Does that mean that I wonā€™t be able to use Dolby Vision content with these boxes?
(2) Do I need a S905X4-K or -J so that CE can play DV?
(3) The RokTec G2 and the Ugoos X4Q Extra seems to be the only boxes that comes with the ā€œ-Kā€ or ā€œ-Jā€ version. Are there others?

In an older post I have seen that CE needs to dovi file on the android installation to play Dolby Vision content, and one would need to keep the android partition.
(4) The S905X4 builds donā€™t support dual boot, so when installing on eMMC, would this overwrite also the android partition that is needed to real the dovi file?
(5) Or is ceemmc meanwhile able to preserve this partition when installing CE on eMMC?
(6) If not, it means I need to boot fro SD card or USB storage to be able to play DV content o S905X4?

Most of the cheap S905X4 boxes come with a 100Mbps NIC only (which should suffice anyway, but hey, if I can get a 1Gbps NIC for nearly the same price, why not): Tanix X4, X96 X4, X96Max Ultra, HK1 rbox X4S

(7) The only cheap S905X4 with 1Gbps NIX seems to be the Vontar X4, right?
I have seen that it seems to run quite hot.
I saw a report that someone who bought the 64GB eMMC version had problems with the eMMC installation, while this was working fine with the 32GB eMMC.
(8) Is this a confirmed or a solved problem?
(9) When choosing the Vontar X4, should I use the 32GB eMMC instead of the 64GB or 128GB version?

I really need BT to work with the box because I want to use my Harmony hub with a BT keyboard mapping to control Kodi.
(10) Are there machines where it is known that BT isnā€™t (properly) working? Would I be able to mitigate the problem with a USB BT adapter, would CE support that?

(11) Wakeup via BT would also be very good to have, are there boxes that support this? Which?

So far these are quite a lot of questions. I may edit my post if something more pops to my mind before someone has responded.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond to my barrage of questions from the noob corner!

I have Vontar X4 and Ugoos X4 Pro 32GB 1Gpbs eth running ne aarch64 21.1 Omega from eMMC (it keeps Android). Vontar was cheaper (say 60 eu) but Ugoos was not expensive either (say 100eu). They perform similar and indeed Vontar gets 10 degrees warmer (say 60 degrees compared with 50 degrees).
Ugoos feels more robust, but Vontar performs just fine.
I tested https://www.elecard.com/storage/video/CityHall_3840x2160.webm in Ugoos X4 Pro. It shows just fine. I guess also on Vontar X4 (which I keep up to date but only use when traveling).
BT works fine. I did not test Wakeup via BT.
On Vontar I bought and use wireless remote on Ugoos I bought and use use BT remote. I guess they both support both.

Is that elecard stream a DV stream?

So you are saying (2) one doesnā€™t need a -K or -J, i.e. licensed chip to play DV?

Do you use a Vontar 32GB or larger eMMC? Does it make any difference anyway? (all my content is coming over NFS, locally stored yould just be thumbnails and skins and possibly subtitles).

Have you verified that your Vontar X4 is using 1Gbps mode on ethernet? I donā€™t care about Wifi at all.

From your description hardware-wise there seems to be no benefit in buying the ugoos over the Vontar. I understand that Vontar counts as generic device and is unsupported.

Does the generic sc2_s905x4_4g_1gbit.dtb work with Vontar X4 and your BT remote?

Is that elecard stream a DV stream?

I got it from https://www.elecard.com/videos it mentions 3840x216 AV1 Webm 16000 kbp. I can test something else if you like.

So you are saying (2) one doesnā€™t need a -K or -J, i.e. licensed chip to play DV?

If I indeed tested what you expect.

Do you use a Vontar 32GB [ā€¦]

32GB

Have you verified that your Vontar X4 is using 1Gbps mode on ethernet? [ā€¦]

Yes (ethtool).

From your description hardware-wise there seems to be no benefit in buying the ugoos over the Vontar. I understand that Vontar counts as generic device and is unsupported.

As opposed to Ugoos which is explicitly suppprted, Vontar counts as generic device indeed (and you choose sc2_s905x4_4g_1gbit.dtb)

I may be an idiot but AFAIK AV1 is not Dolby Vision. So you did not test whether Vontar is able to play DV. Dont ask me where is a test file. I am basically just having this on my requirements list without being able to test it due to lack of hardware supporting and lack of test files.

ah you meant DV=ā€˜Dolby Visionā€™

I have no Dolby Vision installation to test ā€¦ sorry

Ive just ordered a KINHANK G1 .

Will post up when I get itā€¦

2 Likes

That looks like a good box. Iā€™m looking to replace my Beelink GT King as nothing new plays on it now (eg DV)

I think, it has no gigabit lan, 100M.

Is that an issue? My other box is the same speed 100M and works streaming etc ok.

Iā€™ve had my vim 3 pro since launch and always solely used coreelec on itā€¦ Iā€™m now looking at upgrading to a device which supports Dolby vision. What device is recommended for coreelec with DV?
Thanks