Best device for Coreelec in 2024

no you would not pay $200 for a device after that Kinhank G1 stuff you pulled. :slight_smile:

holy shit! 25%! yes let me try . thankyou sooo much! wow
will be like end of this and I’ll report back. also it’s my father who uses that hardware so I’ll ask him about it

lol I never had any intention of buying KinHank. I pay for quality that will last and I make sure it’s supported by CoreELEC. I got carried away with KinHank.
I was in love with the price and the features it had. you have to admit if they didn’t lock bootloader that it would be fire. even so I still won’t personally buy it. I might get it for a family member though.

I also paid like $120 for my Odroid N2+, that was five years ago, that was considerable amount to spend on a CoreELEC back then and was the best so I got the best. I’ll do that again on the successor to s928X , since the N2+ might be getting 25% more speed! hell yeah!

N2+ is supported in NO and ce-22. I’d say you have 4 to 6 more years with the beast if you want. I really see CoreELEC ending before the support for that family is dropped.
The problem is DV and FEL support for the rest of the “family”. We’re always hoping on a breakthrough in newer kernels so the team can focus on improving one kernel and each generation of Kodi. It’s a long way until ce-21 is dropped. Let’s wait where life leads us.

7 Likes

It’ll be such a sad day if/when CoreELEC ends. Been with you guys even on OpenELEC
Thanks for everything you do! you guys should really consider taking donations so the foundation can carry on as new members come and it should help

2 Likes

On am6plus is possible going also with kernel 6.1. according to this case: Ugoos Am6 Plus(s922xj) · Issue #464 · ophub/amlogic-s9xxx-openwrt · GitHub

No hardware decoding of media or Dolby Vision.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: [S922X] Ugoos AM6(+), Help & Support

Just logged in to say I completely agree and would happily pay/donate to the developers here at Coreelec to keep development going! I’ve had a Plex server for over a decade and use 100% physical media as sources (ripped from legally owned/obtained UHD and Blu-ray via Makemkv) so Coreelec has been an amazing discovery using the Ugoos AM6B+ for true Dolby Vision 7 with FEL support.

As a new user here I really hope Coreelec becomes more popular and is sustainable into the far future. It’s the only platform I will be using in my Home Theatre and recommending to Plex users and friends going forward. Amazing work!

4 Likes

Ok, …at least but i see that 4.19 kernel have security support to 2029. So is not need EOL for CE21. civilinfrastructureplatform:start [Wiki]

Hi Astrotrain, as you mentioned s905x4 data partition can be stored on emmc, is there any guide for this? TKS

In regards to AV-1, Netflix abandoned it and wrote their own, which is apparently superior. Google followed suite as Netflix and I don’t think there is any in house developers left working on it. Apple and Hulu never glanced at it. Amazon mentioned support for it but never contributed to it and has yet to support it.

No one cares about AV-1. It was never anything more than a royalty free “by Google, for Google” product just like VP9 and now it’s just a gimmick to sell a little silicone. The focus needs to be on VVC/H.266, don’t let AV-1 derail that focus, just let AV-1 die like VC-1.

2 Likes

Do you have sources for this? A brief search didn’t bring anything useful on this.

5 Likes

Also Intel has been developing SVT-AV1 quite a lot recently.

VC-1 was microsoft shit vs av-1 is opensource codec which is used more and more. Only H264 is used more for historical reason, but also mpeg1 and avi (divx, xvid) were king before 20y. Live is changes, but your h.266 is proprietary shit as VC-1.

I’m a little wrong about Netflix, they’re apparently in the process of abandonment. Search https://www.theverge.com/2024/6/22 for this ““At this point, we see close to 30 percent bit rate reduction with the same quality compared to AV1,” Aaron explained. “I think that’s very, very promising.”” Since AV1 is already 10% better than H.265, now add that 30%; 10+30 == VVC?

The details of Netflix’s new codec are of course not revealed but, since there is already some VVC support in some/most televisions for OTA reasons, I’m guessing whatever they have is VVC’ish and ready to be streamed directly to the television.

As for the proprietary angle of VVC… that’s a joke to me. Amlogic is not open, are people still using their products? Nobody runs a RTX 4090 with open drivers, nobody. I assume everyone here is grateful for MPEG-LA technologies, how can they not be? I think if we’re honest, regardless of opened or closed, we’re content with anything so long as it is performative.

1 Like

Should all these posts above about VC-1 etc etc topic be in a separate post?

This thread is getting clouded :frowning:

Anyone with both sk1 and am6b+, which device feels faster in coreelec for browsing and opening menues with heavy skins. I am deciding between the 2 devices and don’t care much about either fel or av1.

@hdmkv is the man to ask, he has the sk1 the am6b+, the Homatics Box R 4K , the Kinhank G1, the x96… and others I don’t know about

this is his review on the x96 x10
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=376035&pid=3210358#pid3210358