Booting from SSD possible to turn on the micro SD?

Is it possible to boot from SSD (via USB) instead of micro-SD ? SSDs are more durable and priced the same.

I have the following Android boxes; x96 mini and Beelink Mini MXIII S905

Something else, since some time, also with the current Core ELEC update /(micro-SD) booting via remote control doesn’t work anymore, I have to reconnect the box with the power cable to make booting possible…

This error wasn’t there a few months ago.

I use CoreELEC installed on a SSD hard drive. It works impressively well, with 8GB permanent timeshift to watch TV and all tvheadend buffers increased 10 times. I have no problem, the device is flying at full speed.

I just have to comment on a peculiarity, the installation of CoreELEC generates a defective system partition that I always analyze and repair with Ubuntu ‘gparted’ (warning type: number of heads and cylinders does not match the hardware). This also happens with USB flash drives and microSD.

1 Like

:thinking: Hmm. Strange, I have never seen this issue. Perhaps a peculiarity / issue with the SSD hard drive? Maybe the devs can shed some info?

What I have commented (notice of discordance of gparted in the geometry of the disk) always happens (with USB SSD, USB flash, USB hard disk, and microSD flash).

If, with gparted, I change the system partition from FAT to FAT32, as gparted suggests, then CoreELEC stops working, which seems normal to me, for this reason, I only repair the geometry in the partition but if I do not repair the geometry then CoreELEC also works.

With other firmwares ‘img’ (to install with Windows Rufus or Windows Win32DiskImager) that I try (for example enigma2) this does not happen.

@ cubimol

How did you manage to install to your external SSD as with a Windows environment, it fails to allow identification of an external hard drive/ssd as storage that can allow Rufus etc to install an OS such as CE to it?

Windows 10 Home - Version 1809:

(1) Windows -> Disk Management -> Search for SSD disk, format FAT32, and assign E :, F :, G :, …

(2) Rufus (Windows 3.4.1430 Portable) -> Shows advanced properties -> List USB hard drives = checked. Install CoreELEC

(3) After installing CoreELEC on the SSD, Windows can no longer recognize the SSD (formatted in FAT and ext4), this is normal.

2 Likes

Thanks as this is exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers

Excellent - 2 happy customers at least! :+1: