CEC Wakeup Problem

so I think I might found a workaround which I can live with, tried this on both the N2 and Ugoos AM6, both of them just would not work like I wanted when using the standard CEC settings in CE, resulting in that I had to remove the power and put it back on, so I changed setting 2,3,4 to off/none, and I tried for couple of times now when I turn off the TV, the box will go to standby, but when I turn the TV on, it’s still on standby but as soon as I open an application for example Netflix or change to another HDMI source it will wake up and then I can choose the source for the box and everything is back where I left and it’s working, so might just do that for now and see if the new soundbar works better or if there will be a fix in future, so I might cancel the order on the Shield. :slight_smile:

Yes it’s the same for me. Turn TV off while on N2 HDMI port, N2 goes on standby. Switch TV on and N2 does not wake up until I switch to another hdmi source.

If on a non-N2 hdmi source and switch TV off, N2 goes on standby and wakes up when TV is switched on.

Doesn’t bother me tbh.

I am also on an Odroid N2 and cec wakeup only works when i switch to another device and then back.
I don’t see the workaround here, I thought this was the problem in the first place …

yes of course it’s a problem that hopefully can be fixed, but until then have to live with one extra button press…

i really dont understand that. the people here are working for free. is it really that hard to invest that f*cking 20 $ for that UART cable to help them?
otherwise, keep on hoping, but do not believe that this will ever fixed if people think like you.
and i am pretty sure none of the devs will help you, just because its too complicated to guess what could go wrong.

my problem (this thread here) is solved. for me, everything works as expected. and i guess it would make sense to close this thread @Portisch ?

maybe marantz behaves different than other devices with CEC. maybe its just one bit which is wrong, that stops your n2 to boot. maybe maybe maybe…

2 Likes

I found CEC is a bit on and off, it will always turn on for me, but sometimes not turn off.

Problem im facing is i dont want CEC at all, i like to turn my tv off then go stream live to in the bedroom with TVHClient. But whenerver i turn of my tv it shuts down the N2, ive disabled CEC in the menu and been through every setting in my TV just cant find an option.

You can turn off CEC completely in the kernel in config.ini.

Totally agree. Some people seem to feel they are entitled to moan and complain without actually contributing anything,

2 Likes

Just wish to add the comment that UART cables are a couple of £/$ on eBay. I’m sure that a small investment like this to potentially solve your problem is not a big ask.
The devs have already made logs easy to extract from CE so if a request is made for UART info is it really that hard or expensive to extract this information?
We get a great OS for free that is constantly improved and updated. Just think where all AMLOGIC users would be without COREELEC.

1 Like

Same problem with my N2 and Samsung TV. I’m thinking that this problem was introduced in 9.0.3.

I have also a problem with CEC.
After a while, the CEC signal loses the connection to the TV and my N2 responds to any command from the remote control.
That the connection is lost, that is not displayed, I only notice that no input causes anything.
Yesterday i have the strange thing, that my N2 starts very often without a reason.

Yeah I know the devs are really doing a great job here, I mean it’s still their free time.
I didn’t want to be rude, but this problem is really annoying me, so I ordered a uart adapter (it was really cheap) and hopefully I can provide a few informations in the next days.

1 Like

To all those who are having CEC issues and want it fixed, I would suggest ordering a UART adaptor, read how to use it (links in this thread) and then post the logs.

Nothing else will help otherwise.

Here is a UART Log from, where you can see, that my N2 starts withouts any reason.
UARTLOG.LOG (24.7 KB)

and here is the log, where CEC lost connection to my remote.
kodi.log (9.1 MB)

This happens for me all the time. I turn it off (through CEC) and about one hour later, it starts again. And the command is coming through the HDMI cable, not LAN (WOL) or something else. Tested by unplugging.

@Mister-XY your N2 is wake up because the TV wake it up. The TV is sending a Active source change broadcast to all devices on CEC bus. Also I have seen in log you are using a Phillips TV.
Search the forum about CEC issues and Phillips. Phillips do have different CEC handling than all other brands. There is a different setting needed for CEC & Phillips TV - I don’t remember, just search the forum.

1 Like

Hello Portisch, the strange think, i have this error not with version 9.2.0. Only with version 9.2.1 i get this errors.

Didn’t had this problem with my S905 box either, same TV dough.

Here is my UART log with version 9.2.0. With this image, i have no problems.
UARTLOG 9.2.0.log (12.5 KB)

This error comes, since change the u-boot-n2 (05.11.2019). With version 03.11.2019 i have not this error and with version 05.11.2019 i have this error.

The issue is this commit:

But the issue is it is needed for other brands and for Phillips not.

There is general mixup of this hdmitx= parameter in the cmdline and need to be cleaned. Maybe by flag to disable this function like the AUTO_POWER_ON_MASK