CoreELEC 19 Matrix Discussion (Kodi RC)

Is this the first time that you’ve used an NG build on that box? I experienced similar issues before I upgraded the boatloader on my S905X to one from an Android 7 image. I’d have inexplicable reboots and lockups, usually while doing something processor intensive or copying large files. The only cause I could see was in the command line, while de-compressing a tar.gz of my personal backup. I’d get a segmentation fault message and then the box would lock up and eventually reboot, of course with no log to share for support.

i did have ng build on last year, but at the time i was using nextpvr and it didn’t seem to like it with random reboots, but only when watching IPTV and i did get sometimes a crash log and could see stuff about nextpvr, as this is one if my main uses i put a non ng build back on. i never tried copying files at the time. i decided to give ng / matrix a go as simple iptv can pause in 19 (the reason i was using nextpvr in the first place). pleased to report no reboots with simple iptv client so far. will look in to updating the bootloader. not done that before only flashed the rom (i have xannytech P3 custom rom installed currently)

Thanks!!

The boot loader will be updated in the process of flashing an Android 7 ROM. Do you have a stock one for the box you have that you can go back to if updating fails in any way? Also, are you familiar with using the Amlogic USB Burning tool? I have a stock android 7 image from another box that has happily installed on a variety of S905X boxes over the years. I know @Betatester has a different Android 7 image that he and others have had success with, too. If you’re interested and have a backup of your stock ROM, PM me and I can provide you with a link to the one I have.

Dear KVIM3L CE-19 users: the pre-configured Khadas IR remote got removed in the dtb.
Enable it again by execute this command one time on a SSH connection:

echo "meson-ir * kvim.toml" > /storage/.config/rc_maps.cfg

Dear Portisch,
Thanks a lot for your fast answer.
Just tested and it worked, I can confirm IR remote is back on Khadas VIM3L with your command.
One more time, thanks for all your work.
Best Regards.

1 Like

thanks! if you could share a link that would be great. i don’t use my stock rom, it was pretty laggy. I have a custom rom in place currently and have played about with many roms in this box mostly from freaktab, but all on 6.0 except one for Android TV that was 7, but i prefer normal android over Android TV so went back to the xannytech rom which has been stable and fast…

Correct.

As a rule of thumb: always ensure having the latest firmware installed on your device.

I have good results on a Nexbox A95X-B7N (S90X) 1/8/100 with Android 7.1.2 stock firmware.

Thanks for your work : I have the same problem both with odroid n2+ and odroid c4 with pass through audio : for listening the audio I have to change the language and return to the selected one in every format; if I don’t change the track while I’m watching the video , audio doesn’t work.
My odroid are linked with a Denon avr 2700.
Sorry for my bad English.

I retired my Mecool M8s pro + box and set my new Odroid C4 today. So far so good. My previous issues with backup are gone too. Kudos to developers.

1 Like

Matrix 19 RC1 is here… :+1:

Time to move this party onto internal!

On latest build UDP streams hang up system completely. USB stick switches off. I have to power recycle manually. On previous builds system always rebooted itself.
Tanix TX5Pro.

I have been running some tests on the NexBox A95X-B7N 1/8 firmware Android 7.1.2 running the latest Matrix nightly (16/01/2021).

Regular playback appears to work fine (YouTube, Pluto.TV), however, addons using widevine (Netflix (CastagnaIT) and Amazon VOD (Sandeman)) have following symptoms:

When video starts playing, the screen flickers rapidly while displaying the media list instead of the video stream, the wait cursor stops spinning, the sounds starts playing briefly then stops, while the screen keeps flickering till I hit the return button on the remote. Then, after a few seconds, the video will start playing in the background, while the file selection list is still visible (overlay)

DVD drivers are latest kernel media build. I tried with CrayCats addons, same result.

I studied the log and it looks like either a framebuffer issue, an issue with inputstream adaptive or a hardware compatibility issue.

You do know what those drivers are for, right?

1 Like

All widevine add-ons use software decoding, others like youtube hardware. So it’s maybe related to the missing power of the SoC it can decode smoothly.

It’s no connection to DVB drivers as they are only for DVB hardware, nothing else.

1 Like

Yes I do.

I mention it in case it’s related (FYI: for this device you need the media build).

1 Like

Hardware compatibility issue is one of the possibilities, but then how come widevine dependent streams play after hitting the return key?

Everything is running fine on S905X2 and X3 SoC’s.
Testing the S905X with Matrix is something I am doing to see how far it can be pushed.

1 Like

:grinning: That’s what I’ve been doing too.

Not that it will be totally useful for stable usage, but on my X96 S905X, I’ve found in CE 19 using CastagnaIT’s Netflix add-on, I can get about 15-20 seconds of 1080p playback before the system starts dropping frames and becoming unwatchable. Reducing the max playback resolution to 720p delivers smooth playback on this device (watching Lost In Space as I write this). With the Leia Netflix add-on, I was lucky to get a stable 540p stream, so things have certainly improved.

For the sake of reference (as in not looking for support), I have similar seizure inducing behaviour with the netflix add-on with an S905X, only the video will start playing after about 10 seconds. This only seemed to be an issue when I set a max resolution in Inputstream settings.

As far as my usage and testing is concerned, CE19 is feeling pretty damned stable.

Thank you Coreelec team for your hard work and excellent and the best OS for TV boxes.
I’ve tried Android, LibreElec but since installing Coreelec more than 2 years ago I’ve never looked back. I’ve ditched android instantly, been on LibreElec for a while, but when CoreElec released I gave it a shot and the rest is history.
CE19 nightly (13/01) running rock solid on Ugoos AM6 Plus since…well, since 13th of January :smiley:
Up until then I’ve been using latest stable release.
Installed to emmc and working without any trouble whatsoever. I know it’s recommended to run it from SD for obvious reasons, but I feel proficient enough to recover the box if something goes wrong, and I did initially try it from SD on every tv box.
I use it for playing movies and tv shows from NAS, and also for watching and recording free to air DVB-T2 via Tvheadend, both server and client running on the same box. I must say it works flawlessly, the same as it always worked on stable releases.
So thank you for all your hard work and effort, it’s appreciated!
I’ve tried both single install to EMMC with stable release and dual boot install with android. Of dual boot installs I’ve tried both combinations: ugoos dual boot firmware and ugoos single boot android with official coreelec install as a secondary system. Ugoos dual boot fw doesn’t have latest stable ce, but it’s no problem to update with official CE install to emmc. For me it works faster when installed to EMMC but I guess it depends on the speed of the device itself, speed of EMMC and speed of SD card too if installed to SD.

@kshi on the bright side, Netflix and Amazon VOD addons are both working fine with Kodi 19 Matrix RC1 for Android.by Team Kodi. using inputstream adaptive.

@Portisch after reading kshi’s post, I started over with a clean install of the latest matrix build on sd card, followed by the latest versions of netflix and amazon.vod

The symptom changed to: when starting to play, the screen flickers for about 10-15 seconds, after which the stream plays successfully.

1 Like