CoreELEC 19 Matrix Discussion (Kodi RC)

I’ve used netflix addon in CE for a few days in VIM1@720p and worked perfectly. But i had one or two situations before of flickering video but couldn’t reproduce it again.

@Portisch @kshi

Resolved the flickering problem by switching display mode from progressive scan to interlaced.

1 Like

Device: NexBox A95X-B7N SoC S905X, 8Gb eMMC, 1Gb Ram, 10/100 LAN, WiFi.
OS: CoreELEC Matrix Beta 2 nightly 20210116 Generic running from SanDisk 64GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive.

Addons used for testing:

Netflix (CastagnaIT)
Amazon VOD (Sandmann)
YouTube with dev keys (Bromix)
PlutoTV (Lunatixz)
Radio (Tristan Fisher)
OpenVPN pre-release (Zomboided)

LAN, WiFi, Video, Audio and Factory Remote work out of the box.

Widevine: Yes (If screen flickers set display to interlaced)
CEC: Yes
4K Video: Yes
5.1 Surround Sound: Yes
Suspend: No (device powers off)
Tvheadend: Yes

@Betatester @Vascobraga Was the flickering continuous even after the video started playing? With mine it was the red progress wheel that strobed intensely until it disappeared when the video started. Once the video loaded it was all good. I’m just stoked that I can do 720p software decoding with this old box.

Just for a laugh I’m gonna attempt to fit a better heatsink to it because the CPU gets really toasty with all this software decoding.

Same as yours, once the stream started playing everything was back to normal. Changing display type to interlaced made the stream start immediately, without flickering.

So far I haven’t seen the Nexbox go over 56 C.

~75°C after a solid Netflix run with mine :hot_face:

Do you know if the minix u22 supports Dolby vision profile 7 ?

I installed to internal on mine. Works great

DV support is just beginning. For now it was just a proof of concept and I had to switch it on manually in sysfs. We need to add support in the Mediacenter. We are in contact with Minix discuss some things and hopefully we will br able to work this out. But let’s be clear. It will only work with Dolby Vision licensed SoC’s like the u22.
I don’t really have any DV video samples to say.

Hello,
a bit side question. Is there any possibly chance to have Kodi 19 backported to the 3.14 kernel? Or there is no chance at all… From posts I have feeling, that -ng kernel will not make older device like C2, because there are a lot of problems to solve. Just wondering, if there wouldnt be less problems, taking just Kodi 19 / python packages into old kernel? Or is it no go?

Thanks for answer

None. Even if it were possible the CE developers have their hands full with the ng kernel and have declared 3.14 EOL.

Shoog

Ok thanks, u22 is what I have.

It is possible if someone puts lots of work into it for a dead end. We decided that we don’t want to take on the support burden. If someone in the community wants to take it up we would be happy. None of us even uses 3.14 devices anymore afaik.

According to this article, sounds like it does :grinning:

Having an odd problem with each of the Matrix Nightlies; USB drives can be read fine in file manager and can play fine from the drive, but in the Settings: Media: Videos section they can often not be read. It might return an invalid path notice or just spin for ever. In scanning it is hit and miss. It has taken an hour to scan a 1T drive with 150 files and only read 100 of them to library. Subsequent scans will pick up the remaining files. On a 4T drive it is hopeless. This is on N2, C4 and the Vim3L. The behaviour is consistent. It does not occur on NFS drives or NAS drives. It also doesn’t occur on 9.25.
There is nothing in any of the logs.

Hi Folks, i anyone facing issue accessing smb shares with the new RC nightly?

i cant get in at all, was working on Beta2. i tried messing with SMB settings in Kodi forcing 1, 2 ,3, and setting legacy, but cant find a combination that will work for me.

i also tried fresh install to a spare SD, copying over my password, mediasources and sources xmls (smb in to the box is fine) but still the same issue.

my shares are all on a Win 10 PC…

Thanks

Hi Cubase,

Do I understand that your problem is:

• You have folders on a Win 10 PC shared by SMB
  • You want to access those folders from Coreelec device
  • When using Add Source in Coreelec, you can’t find the SMB shares.

Have you tested that you can access those SMB shares using another device?

HI Thanks for the reply. i am not trying to add the sources, they are already configured in Kodi but i can no longer access them on the new nighly. it is working in Beta2 and also Leia no problem, but since updating one of my boxes to the new RC nightly i cant get in with that box.

i see an odd entry in the logs, see below, i dont know what that ip is, it is not configired on my system, the host name below is correct however.

ERROR : SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : ‘smb://USERNAME:PASSWORD@10.5.0.2/’
unix_err:‘6e’ error : ‘Connection timed out’
2021-01-18 10:38:18.315 T:5206 ERROR : GetDirectory - Error getting smb://itunes-server/

Update

so i got it working, sort of…CoreELEC / RC version does not seem like hostname, i can ping hostname from coreELEC but cant access the shares in file manager or for playback using hostname. updating my sources for file manager to be IP fixed the connectivity there, and i can get in to my Win10 shares again, but my Library is using hostname for all the shares so i cant play anything back atm… tried updating mediasources to be IP but it didnt help. CoreELEC seems to not be using my usernames and an odd 10.5.0.2 IP when connecting using hostname. see below

ERROR : SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : ‘smb://USERNAME:PASSWORD@10.5.0.2/G/Kids%20Movies/Godmothered’
2021-01-18 11:54:13.727 T:5361 ERROR : GetDirectory - Error getting smb://itunes-server/G/Kids Movies/Godmothered/
2021-01-18 11:54:23.760 T:5361 INFO : SMBFile->Open: Unable to open file : ‘smb://USERNAME:PASSWORD@10.5.0.2/G/Kids%20Movies/Godmothered/Godmothered.2020.1080p.10bit.WEBRip.6CH.x265.HEVC-PSA.mkv’

Update x2

i just rebooted in to android and tried Matrix RC, and can connect using hostname and playback is working fine there. it just seems to be the CoreELEC version that does not like hostname (fyi i use a remote sql install for my DB so all my boxes use the same library)

Configure it with an ip address, e.g. smb://192.168.x.x/…

thanks i did that and it works for file manager, but not my library. i would need to delete my library, recreate all my sources using IP and scan in fresh. re scanning takes about a couple of days for a total rebuild. movies / TV shows are done in an hour or two max, but my music library takes a very, very long time and some does not scan well, i would need to re-do all the manual fixes i did over time, also need to reconfigure all my custom menu and sub-menu items in Nox that have custom artwork. and re configure RCB and re-scan my few thousand roms, that takes many hours to scan also. using droid for now and will see over the coming days if there is a nightly that sorts out host name. i guess if no fix by the time we get a stable i will just have to bite the bullet and start again using IP. i used to use IP, but my crap suberhub 3 would not let me set 192.168.1.x addresses that i has used with hubs 1 and 2 (and every router i had before them!) so i decided few years ago when i got SH3 and became aware of its limitations, to start from scratch. It was a massive job re-jugging everything so i decided to use host when doing that to avoid a repeat scanrio…just my luck ha