CoreELEC 20.0-Nexus Amlogic-ng Discussion

Hello:

I have 2 TV-Boxes (both X96 Max+, S905X3, 4/64, gigabit) with CoreELEC 19.5 Matrix (ng) installed internal (eMMC).

Should I consider “safe” updating them to 20.0 ( https://github.com/CoreELEC/CoreELEC/releases/download/20.0-Nexus/CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-20.0-Nexus.tar to update folder; reboot) or should I try other method to use 20.0 ng in eMMC in these 2 boxes?

When I say “safe”, I do NOT mean that everything works perfectly when updating from 19.5 to 20.0. I guess that some add-ons might not work, etc. (this will NOT be a big problem). When I say “safe”, I mean that, when updating, the TV-Box boots with 20.0 without giving errors that prevent the system from loading.

That’s what I did with my Odroid N2+. Just dropped the .tar file into the update folder on my 19.5 build. No issues so far, but I don’t run any add-ons apart from “Radio” that I use to stream IP radio stations.

There have been many posts
Regards to this method

Not recommended
Always clean install on prepared media

Maybe use CoreELEC tools on one of the boxes
And send from emmc back to external SD
Keep in safe location

Now prepare new media SD/USB…

And Test 20 ng on one box to compare.

Happy Testing

I’m running this on N2 and use the superb audio output thro the jack to feed a stereo amp.

I’m starting to notice clicks/pops when starting/stopping video and audio that I’m certain we’re not there in 19.5. I can’t be more specific at this time but I hope to be in the coming days when I’ve had time to swap to nightly and do more direct comparison against 19.5.

I just thought I should mention this now in case it is something that’s known about.

Hello:

The part of 20.0 testing in a microSD was done and it was OK for me.
Even the part ot migrating from19.5 to 20.0 in a microSD and testing was done, and, also, OK for me (some addons did NOT work, but no big problems) :rofl: :rofl:

My doubt was specific about doing that (the same things) with CoreELEC in eMMC, because I’m worried specifically about all the bootloader stuff and I don’t want to brick the TV-Box.
I do backups frequently, so the problem is not losing the configuration. The problem for me would be that the tv-box would not start after 19.5 to 20.0 in eMMC.

Well… finally I did it in one of the boxes (migrating from 19.5 to 20.0 in eMMC; .tar file to update folder). I did it in the “less critical” one :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: , a box that I use as tvheadend client.

Report:

• Samba, ssh working without issues
  • All 3 VPNs (Zerotier, Tailscale, Wireguard) that I was using via entware, working perfectly well
  • PVR HTS tvheadend client working perfectly well
  • Most of the addons that I use (3rd party sources) working well (in some cases I had to update “manually”, .zip file, etc., but no problem at all)

So far so good!

Next step for me: doing the same thing with the other TV-Box with CE in eMMC (the “critical” one :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ) that I use as tvheadend server in a place where I don’t live. Same addons (even less) than the other… but tvheadend server inside.

1 Like

Here is test image for playing DVD folder from network. Feedback welcome.

look for a nightly link little down

Good to see you also had no issues using the .tar file update. In my case, I could always go back to a clean install and re-scan my audio and video libraries, but others may have a big or complex setup which they may not want to risk.

Have CE 20 on SD on N2. CE 19.3 is on the eMMC. Trying to replace 19.3 with 20 using the ceemmc tool and get this:

##############################################
#                  CoreELEC                  #
#            https://coreelec.org            #
##############################################

CoreELEC (official): 20.0-Nexus (Amlogic-ng.arm)
      Machine model: Hardkernel ODROID-N2
     CoreELEC dt-id: g12b_s922x_odroid_n2
      Amlogic dt-id: g12b_w400_a

N2:~ # ceemmc

Starting CoreELEC eMMC installation tool...

System is not supported: g12b_s922x_odroid_n2!
N2:~ #

You don´t need ceemmc on N2(+)

The image is for Amlogic-ne. Would it be possible to provide an image for Amlogic-ng as well?
Thanks.

My setup:
Odroid-N2 with CoreELEC 20.0 connected to Amplituner Denon connected to TV.
Kodi database Maria DB on Synology NAS.
Library on the same Synology NAS accessible by NFS.

I started watching a concert with chapters and as I started jumping back and forth through different chapters, Kodi eventually started to freeze, but once everything was fine, I noticed that Maria DB was using almost all the CPU power on the Synology NAS. There was still high CPU usage even a few minutes after I stopped watching this concert, so I finally decided to restart Odroid-N2.

I don’t recall the same issue with CoreELEC 19.5.
Later on today I will try to reproduce the issue.

Already in nightly build
https://relkai.coreelec.org/Amlogic-ng/ce-20/CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-20.1-Nexus_nightly_20230204.tar
https://relkai.coreelec.org/Amlogic-ne/ce-20/CoreELEC-Amlogic-ne.arm-20.1-Nexus_nightly_20230204.tar

All DVD folders that I have tested can now also be played properly from the NAS.
Thanks! Then nothing seems to stand in the way of switching to CE 20.

1 Like

I’ve noticed an issue with text subtitles in which the manually set placement is reset on the screen even though the video calibration screen shows the correct height. Simply put, the subs are shown in the default place at the bottom of the screen while I have set them to show higher on the screen.

I experienced this a few times earlier and was very baffled about it but I think yesterday this happened after I had paused the video. The situation was fixed by stopping and restarting the video.

Does the debug log catch this by default or should I enable some specific component? I could try and reproduce it tonight.

When you select “Manual” subtitle position, it overrides position set by calibration. With these subtitle settings subtitles don’t change position on my N2:

Position on screen => Manual
Override subtitle styles => Position
Vertical margine => Set any number that suits you from 1-10. I use 3.85, but that depends on your display, so experiment is needed. With this value you can set vertical position anywhere on screen.

Hmm… why does the video calibration then change the position? IIRC, if the subtitle position is set to other than manual, the option is not even available to use there.

I’ll have a look at the margin setting, thanks :slightly_smiling_face: I didn’t take a too thorough look at those options as I was used to using the calibration.

Something is really wrong.
My Odroid-N2 with CoreELEC 20.0 suddenly just freezes while watching a movie.
Now it doesn’t respond to CEC commands, I can’t connect to SSH, I can’t connect via WinSCP using the SCP protocol, but it responds to ping.
I was looking at CPU and memory usage with netdata app on my phone - nothing wrong was there.

Dirty reboot and… no crash log :frowning:

I have no idea how to solve this problem…

BTW. I have installed fresh CoreELEC on this Odroid-N2 device. For several years I had have no problems with version 19.x and there have been no such cases like freeze.

Hello! Is it possible to update directly from 19.5 to 20 without losing the addons and all the settings?

Thanks for your reply.

Then what tool should I use now as I remember using a tool when I first purchased the N2 to copy from SD to eMMC?

TIA

https://wiki.coreelec.org/coreelec:odroid#install_to_μsd_card

Read here