Disable hdr

set

SDR-to-HDR=off
HDR-to-SDR=auto
reboot

Then your TV will receive no HDR signal, only tonemapped SDR on case of HDR input material and the original SDR in case of SDR input material. This is true with my N2 and my SDR-only TV.

You don’t receive hdr signal, because your tv is sdr. That’s backward compatibility. But with hdr capable screen connected, Coreelec always delivers hdr signal if played material is hdr.

No matter what I set. If hdr screen detected, there’s no any conversion to sdr performed.

On MiBox if I set the same option in AndroidTV settings (tone hdr to sdr) it works always - even if hdr screen is connected.

Can we consider it as CE bug? I think when “Tone hdr to sdr” option is set to Active, hdr should be completly disabled, even on hdr tv, auto should perform conversion only when sdr tv detected (it works this way now), disabled should never perform any conversion and hdr should be delivered even on sdr tv.

From my test, curtently it works always in “auto” mode, enabled and disabled option both have no effect.

you are right, I see it in the same way as you…

Question:
is this by design or a fault of CE?

It´s no CE fault, it´s just a bad working TV

Bad working what exactly? That option in CE does nothing actually. I wrote how it works on Android TV, shouldn’t it be the same on CE?

If it’s by design… I don’t understand

CE is not Android
Your TV can´t handle HDR.
If You want to watch HDR files, You need a better HDR TV

My TV can handle HDR & SDR, there are TV settings HDR/SDR
Converting HDR to SDR is a bad idea, will never work perfect

Set SDR to HDR to Off, HDR to SDR to Auto or On and reboot.
Run the following in SSH: echo 0 > /sys/module/am_vecm/parameters/hdr_policy
And try again. Let me know if that changes anything for you.

@Tim_Taylor you are correct that CE is not Android, but technically we use mostly the same kernel code. So the general capabilities should be similar. We have made some changes for better compatibility, but we strive to provide users with the best experience we can. Although I personally would never use HDR to SDR, if a user wants to use his device that way, we’ll make an effort to at the very least see how doable the request is.

1 Like

Me too. But with my monitor, I am forced to use it.

It makes hdr enabled always - even when playback is stopped.

You don’t understand, never said it works perfect. But in my case it will work better than shitty hdr on my tv. Such option is there, but not working. I am asking either to see if you can fix it, or remove if not, because it’s confusing.

I’ll try to dig around the code some more in the upcoming few days, but it’s complicated.
I think cdu13a knows a lot more about this stuff, but he’s currently unavailable.

1 Like

Could it be the same thing that is happening here as well:
Khadas VIM3 Pro SDR to HDR fault

I’m not sure, I don’t think so. I went over the code last night, and I think that these SDR to HDR and HDR to SDR controls we have in CE settings no longer have any effect at all.
If I have time to figure it all out, I may give it a shot. If not, we may have to wait for cdu13a to take a look at it when he can.

Conversion HDR->SDR is actually possible. Because it’s performed when SDR TV is connected. So, problem is not related to conversion itself, but rather when it will be done.

Need to look if we can force it to be performed always, or never (although, never has no much sense, because sdr display won’t show any picutre in this case, that’s why Android does not even include such option).

HDR is great standard, but not always, sometimes implementation of it on tv is really poor (this is my case).

It works with SDR TVs because the path the code takes with an SDR TV is completely different.
These settings we have in the CE Settings worked in the past, but since then we updated the kernel, and it probably broke, and no one noticed. We’ll need to fix this.

1 Like

Ok, so new bug has been found. Now it does not work anymore.

I pushed a fix for this.
Now both HDR->SDR and SDR->HDR work correctly, at least as far as I can tell.
You should see it in tomorrow’s nightly build (so on Wednesday). Please test it and report back any issues.

1 Like

Sorry, next 2 weeks I’m on vacation so I can’t test now. Maybe somebody else could try and confirm. Or I will test later

Ok, no problem. We’ve confirmed in internal testing that it works.

Yes, it works, thanks.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.