Do amlogic-ng builds work well on GXL(S905X/S905D/S905W) devices?

Mecool M8S Pro+:

Boots from sd card
No wifi/bt (non-ng build didn‘t have it either)
Works good on playback, immediately saw some issues resolved from the old build

But won‘t boot from mmc after ceemmc -x without sd card. Never gets past box logo.

No big issue for me, it is actually my third box and was unused for quite some time. Should be good with a nice fast sd card, the emmc of this box is hellish bad anyway

FYI - For my NEXBOX A95X-B7N box, suspend never worked in previous non -ng build and did the same as yours
Adding inject_bl301 & updating config for the power key - it works great on ng builds

Perhaps I don’t understand how to use inject_bl301 but I don’t have that option in my menu.
But I probably wouldn’t use Suspend anyway. I use a HDMI switch and my box didn’t like devices being switched behind it’s back. It would awake to a black screen if things were different. I was just going to check if things were better with the -ng version.

I have been testing the -ng version extensively on a NexBox A95-B7N and besides the suspend option from the power menu rebooting the device (which can be fixed by injecting the bl301 blob), the unit works just fine and even can be installed on eMMC and dual boot with Android…

Hope that helps.

Could someone point me to how I get to the point that inject_bl301 is available in my Settings>CoreELEC>Hardware menu?
Thanks

Never mind, I think I found it.

We have a guide:

on GXL inject_bl301 does not show in GUI, you need to ssh into the box and use shell to invoke the command

1 Like

On my S905D device, there is no wake-up problem with the non-ng version. The wake-up issue only happens with the ng version. My problem is: Every time I turn off my TV, CE-ng wakes it up immediately through CEC. So I can never turn off my TV. I can see kodi logs like this:
2020-09-05 12:49:44.012 T:4093665856 NOTICE: OnSleep: Running sleep jobs
2020-09-05 12:49:44.157 T:4093665856 ERROR: Keymapping error: no such action ‘lirc.stop’ defined
2020-09-05 12:49:49.683 T:4093665856 ERROR: Keymapping error: no such action ‘lirc.start’ defined
2020-09-05 12:49:49.765 T:4093665856 NOTICE: OnWake: Running resume jobs

KODI wakes up immediately after sleep and this turns on the TV.
Is inject_bl301 supposed to work in this case?

If not already done, yes as you can adjust the wake up features. You need to run inject_bl301 from console. After a reboot new settings in ce settings/hardware become available.
When this wakeup still happen try first to disable the CEC wakeup option “active route”.

But be sure to use last nightly image for inject_bl301 & GXL!

OK, I will try that.

Try this

Special attention to:

It solved my problem of not booting from mmc

The problem is, the install option 1-4 are no longer offered now. Ceemmc detects CE already being installed to emmc and only offerers overwrite or backup options. I used 3 on my attempt (like I always do) because I don‘t care about Android and always use 3 to have it just as a CE box.

I will try again but I think the emmc of the box is kind of stuck now. I can‘t even install non-ng now. Installtointernal complains about something missing. My guess there were changes make to the bootloader.

I used gxl_p212_2g from the ng build. Also tried the slowemmc version. The Mecool M8s Pro+ will complete ceemmc -x without any kind of error message but won’t boot from it.

No big deal for me as I only reactivated the box because I was curious about the ng build for it.

Anyway, it boots works fine from sd card. So no big deal.

Rebooting from ce menu won‘t help either btw… I had a box in the past where that helped but unfortunately not so much here.

I think it is amazing that there even is a ng build for those old boxes.

A95X S905X (2+8G) installed successfully, no problems.
X96 S905X (1+16G) originally stuck at Coreelec logo. Following upgrade to Android 7 firmware (I used A95X firmware), Coreelec booted normally, no problems.

2 Likes

Everything work fine on my Khades VIM1 (SD and emmc) and on LePotato (SD card) but not on Mini M8S II box (S905X 2+16Gb).

I can boot Mini M8S II from SD (and USB) using new NG build and everything work fine but ceemmc -x fail to install on emmc.

Previous post from @intelmorino make me think about cross-flashing the box and … eventually today I burn the A95X firmware on my Mini M8S II then ceemmc -x succeeded to install to emmc and the NG build boot normally from emmc.
Everything work fine now on my Mini M8S II (after the cross-flash and CE install on emmc).

Working fine on an MXQ pro+ 4k (s905x). I use it with ceemmc without problem.

I’ve been using the latest ng build on my X96 Mini for a couple months now.
All was well until earlier this week when I encountered 2 separate media files that would not play smoothly, in differing ways.
One of the media files was a 1080i film, it was unwatchable, 80% of the frames were getting dropped. I tried another 1080i film and the problem was the same… so there appears to be an issue with 1080i media for some reason.

The other problematic file was not as severe. stuttering audio and occasionally dropping a bunch of frames every 10 seconds.
The codecs were nothing unusual though, blu-ray quality 1080p avc and stereo pcm s16le audio, the same format as 90% of my media files but for some reason this particular file had issues.

I’ll try the latest non-ng build to see if these issues present themselves.

Edit:

1080p VC1 content does not play correctly either. Loads of skipped frames, but they’re not counted by Kodi’s debug overlay.

More details in this thread: No Disable Deinterlacing option on ng builds?

TX95, while NG loads & seems operational, no playback is possible for mp4 with 6 channel AAC

In NG you should use HDMI Milti Ch PCM in audio settings

Absolutely what I am using since ever. I mean it does not play, it means does not play (not just no sound, it hangs on video playback after 5 seconds)

http://ix.io/2EhK