Dolby Vision for Minix U22X-J (Max) and Ugoos AM6+

My understanding is that the box will upscale regardless unless the “Whitelist” is utilized, in which case the selected resolutions will be passed as is to the TV to upscale.

The GUI resolution only impacts the GUI, and the time of the refresh rate delay. If GUI is 4K while playing 4K content, then only refresh rate update. The black screen is shorter before content begins. That’s why so many here prefer GUI @ 4K and 23.98FPS. Film content starts quickly without any screen blacking since no need for res/refresh rate change.

And also, if my GUI is left at 1080p, the interface cuts off on the edges on my 4K TV. I think it looks better with GUI set to 4K.

Happy to be wrong though and learn more. Though I feel that upscaling is table stakes at this point since the algos are very mature. Box vs TV makes very little difference now. I let the TV handle post-processing like sharpening or edge enhancement, but upscaling on the box is fine.

Without the configured whitelist, anything with a resolution lower than the GUI resolution is upscaled, so:

• 1080p GUI:
    • input resolution <= 1080p results with 1080p output
    • input resolution > 1080p results with original input (eg. 4K = 4K)
  • 4K GUI: always 4K output

In my case, I can turn on Ugoos without using the included remote control, by selecting it as the active HDMI source (Sony TV here)
This works even when Ugoos is fully powered off.

1 Like

Got it that makes sense, thanks for clarifying. Whitelist with 4K GUI would get TV to scale 1080p.

For me, I don’t mind the box upscaling as I think the results are more or less identical to the TV when testing on SD content. But I do value the shorter HDMI switch delay since most content I watch is native 4K.

The 4K GUI fitting my panel is a bonus, it looks a bit more polished especially if I’m building the box for others.

I have minix, How do i do this bl303 & cec on lg c6 tv, any instructions please?

3 Likes

create a file under .config/autostart.sh and put that line in the file to auto-apply on boot/reboot.

Thanks, already done.

Are these expected behaviors on CE 21 (with an AM6b+)?

1. Screen goes black for a sec when RW/FF through a DV video. HDR10 and SDR just stay on the current frame until the jump to the new spot.

2. When enabling the “Disable GUI Scaling” option (makes the GUI actual 4k, improving clarity of artwork, etc), I get major screen corruption when playing videos. DV and HDR playback are both affected but in different ways.

I hope the “Disable GUI Scaling” option that breaks DV playback will be adressed soon… The GUI is much better at 4K 60Hz without scalling, similar to Apple TV 4K, in native 4K rendering

I have tried to install on Minix u22x-j with cemmc -x and it fails in the same way a
this report.

Is cemmc broken on U22x-j?

Single boot has been disabled so that files needed for Dolby Vision can be retained and mounted in CE. If you look at storage info, you can see the mounted directory.

@rome1931 Thanks for clarifying this.

1 Like

@loddie

Disable GUI scaling was left as an option as we found that it works ok on some devices. But most devices don’t work well with this option.
I think we tracked this down to lack of memory bandwidth or something like that. In other words, it’s a hardware limitation that we can’t do much about if you experience a problem with it.

Hi All

Been a Long long long time user of XBMC to Kodi on a PC and looking to upgrade my tv to a new 4k prob a LG G4 and have been reading a lot that my pc cannot support Dolby vision and many android boxes have the same problem until i was told by some helpful people in Kodi and avsforums that the AM6+ will. I would like some input before i commit to this device that now supports all formats.

so does the Am6b+ do

1. All audio pass through to amp to decode for audio such as atmos and dtsx and all HD audios as i use passthrough on my pc
  2. Will Kodi and AM6+ do a better job at video picture quality than my 12 year old pc ati card running kodi meaning a much better image in SD, HD and 4K.
  3. Will the AM6+ auto fame switching like 24fps from 50
  4. Will it handle all dvd and Blu-ray formats from old encodes like mpeg2 and avc and other older Bluray and DVD formats
  5. Run all demanding skins in kodi ?
    6 have no lip syncs issues as I had a few with my pc and had to fix them using the advance xml.
    7 play the most demanding high bitrate 4K Blu-ray untouched rips
  6. Play web-dl Dolby Vison or any other HDR format
    9 play hdr10 and hdr plus or do you not need this support.
    10 plays SDR AND 1080P better than a pc can in picture quality as I have some SDR videos
  7. VC-1 codec blu rays what happens if there is a problem there and is there a way to fix it
    the VC-1 codec blu rays what happens if there is a problem like the shining, and is there a way to fix it as i have many olde Blu rays like

Video

ID : 1
Format : VC-1
Format profile : Advanced@L3
Codec ID : V_MS/VFW/FOURCC / WVC1

will these play
12 is there any problems with using a usb dongle and Logitech keyboard with tis unit
13. using any remote like a Logitech
14. can you leave this box running all the time or is it best to power it up from cold and can you boot Stright into Kodi
15. any problems to watch out for with this AM6+ or once its up and running it just works?

any other help would be great thanks

so is this the ultimate box to get now as can this finally replace the PC ? i have been told that the minix u22-xj might be better than the AM6+ is this true ?

And it’s the Ugoos AM6B Plus 2021 box as there seems to be three versions.

And there’s

Says 2024 version but link says 2021 ??

It’s their own official site I think something about 2024 firmware.

All yes, even the VC-1. I hear someone recently pushed a patch for progressive content :wink:

Specifically you can set to suspend instead of power off. For some reason running trim against freshly booted, triggers about 24GB in “writes” to the eMMC, at least according to iostat. Not sure if it’s actually writing when that happens, but if you leave it on/suspend it’ll only trigger incremental writes on subsequent runs.
And yes that 2024 box is nonsense rofl. Ugoos official firmware still 0.5.4.

No need to buy the specific “2024 updated” one.

I hope the ‘2024’ update doesn’t block DoVi in CoreElec…

I ordered the 2021 version less than a week ago. Should arrive next week. It’s just cleared customs.

the firmware on there site is dated 2022-10-14 11:14:00 so i dont know what this 2024 version is. why would they block options if people want to use the box the way they want.

what is the best place to buy this box in the uk

Probably only “Snake oil” :wink:

but is that not their official selling site ? trying to fig where to best buy these