Dolby Vision for Minix U22X-J (Max) and Ugoos AM6+

So been meaning to ask:

Anyone else encountering a bug where occasionally the audio channels get mapped wrong? The most obvious symptom when this has happened to me is the center channel gets mapped to the right rear channel. Didn’t think this could even happen with setting passthrough and using even lossless Atmos. But it is. I can’t for the life of me reproduce it in anyway and it is incredibly sporadic when it occurs.

It’ll wake up if you’re using the remote that came with it. I think the bl301 injection is more if you wan to use a single remote for all functions other than the included UR-01.
Personally I don’t bother since you can configure CoreELEC to recognize multiple remotes simultaneously and then just (hopefully if you’re cool enough to use one :P) program the relevant buttons.

Otherwise it’s the HDMI-CEC triggering the wake up based on how you configured it to behave.

Yeah, wakes up with TV remote when I switch to HDMI. I never use the remote it came with.

I’d rather never suspend but with CEC, earc breaks after couple of cycles of TV turning on and off.

The purpose of the additional parameters are to override e.g. change the existing behaviour

Original behaviour was bt2020 for tv-led
Advice to the CoreELEC team was that was wrong and should not have a flag for tv-led

The bt2020 was cleared but that did not actually clear the flag but instead it then defaulted to bt709 as per HDMI specification. (This then became the new default bt709)

I preferred the bt2020 so added the bt2020 parameter to override that and allow you to use bt2020.

Finally I added the no colorimetry parameter to override everything and allow you to have the true no flag option.

Very clear infos. Thank you @cpm

Yep, this happened to me the other night and just restarting the movie fixed it.
Also, yesterday I had a power outage and I’m no longer able to get a gigabit connection, it’s stuck to 100mbps no matter the cable or ethernet port I use. All my other devices are fine.

My understanding is that the box will upscale regardless unless the “Whitelist” is utilized, in which case the selected resolutions will be passed as is to the TV to upscale.

The GUI resolution only impacts the GUI, and the time of the refresh rate delay. If GUI is 4K while playing 4K content, then only refresh rate update. The black screen is shorter before content begins. That’s why so many here prefer GUI @ 4K and 23.98FPS. Film content starts quickly without any screen blacking since no need for res/refresh rate change.

And also, if my GUI is left at 1080p, the interface cuts off on the edges on my 4K TV. I think it looks better with GUI set to 4K.

Happy to be wrong though and learn more. Though I feel that upscaling is table stakes at this point since the algos are very mature. Box vs TV makes very little difference now. I let the TV handle post-processing like sharpening or edge enhancement, but upscaling on the box is fine.

Without the configured whitelist, anything with a resolution lower than the GUI resolution is upscaled, so:

• 1080p GUI:
    • input resolution <= 1080p results with 1080p output
    • input resolution > 1080p results with original input (eg. 4K = 4K)
  • 4K GUI: always 4K output

In my case, I can turn on Ugoos without using the included remote control, by selecting it as the active HDMI source (Sony TV here)
This works even when Ugoos is fully powered off.

1 Like

Got it that makes sense, thanks for clarifying. Whitelist with 4K GUI would get TV to scale 1080p.

For me, I don’t mind the box upscaling as I think the results are more or less identical to the TV when testing on SD content. But I do value the shorter HDMI switch delay since most content I watch is native 4K.

The 4K GUI fitting my panel is a bonus, it looks a bit more polished especially if I’m building the box for others.

I have minix, How do i do this bl303 & cec on lg c6 tv, any instructions please?

3 Likes

create a file under .config/autostart.sh and put that line in the file to auto-apply on boot/reboot.

Thanks, already done.

Are these expected behaviors on CE 21 (with an AM6b+)?

1. Screen goes black for a sec when RW/FF through a DV video. HDR10 and SDR just stay on the current frame until the jump to the new spot.

2. When enabling the “Disable GUI Scaling” option (makes the GUI actual 4k, improving clarity of artwork, etc), I get major screen corruption when playing videos. DV and HDR playback are both affected but in different ways.

I hope the “Disable GUI Scaling” option that breaks DV playback will be adressed soon… The GUI is much better at 4K 60Hz without scalling, similar to Apple TV 4K, in native 4K rendering

I have tried to install on Minix u22x-j with cemmc -x and it fails in the same way a
this report.

Is cemmc broken on U22x-j?

Single boot has been disabled so that files needed for Dolby Vision can be retained and mounted in CE. If you look at storage info, you can see the mounted directory.

@rome1931 Thanks for clarifying this.

1 Like

@loddie

Disable GUI scaling was left as an option as we found that it works ok on some devices. But most devices don’t work well with this option.
I think we tracked this down to lack of memory bandwidth or something like that. In other words, it’s a hardware limitation that we can’t do much about if you experience a problem with it.