Dolby Vision for Minix U22X-J (Max) and Ugoos AM6+

HDR/SDR (high-dynamic range/standard dynamic range) has nothing to do with resolution - it is not interchangeable with UHD, HD (high-definition) or SD (standard definition). There is 4K UHD, SDR content (eg Super Mario Bros (1993)) and there is 1080p FHD, HDR/DV content (search 1080 hybrid DV). You can even make SD (480p), HDR/DV content.

Just maintain one and the highest resolution/bitrate of the file you can afford and use Plex to transcode/tonemap as needed when files are being played from 2K or lower TVs. Maintaining multiple resolutions is completely unnecessary and a solved problem via transcoding.

VS10 is used as a chroma upscaling/downscaling engine, eg turns HDR into DV or DV into SDR. But it absolutely does not transcode your 4K content into 2K. Resolution =/= Dynamic Range

appreciate the technical validity of your point, but in practice I find there is > 99% 1:1 mapping (for my library) between resolution and HDR/SDR. The only 4K SDR film I have is The Great Escape. So sure, we should probably be discussing HDR vs SDR displays, but either way CE doesn’t offer watchable SDR conversion at present on the Ugoos.

OMG
CE is not a professional product
The developers receive no money and sacrifice their free time

hardly called for. Just making a statement re current functionality.

Jellyfin will tonemap HDR to SDR without having to pay a fee

Maybe if you have the money/can afford?

Would be best to upgrade to 4K Dolby Vision TV.

Then can playback all your content!!

Also would end discussion in post in this thread about resolution /HDR SDR

He he

Happy Testing

Which build did you install? If stable, then first try the latest nightly before starting over.

Hello.

1. I have several movies in bluray.iso format. Movies have Dolby Vision. I noticed that very often when I turn on such a movie for the first time, I get a black screen and only hear sound. Stopping the video and restarting it helps. Sometimes you have to stop several times to start the video. Has anyone had this problem with bluray iso? I will try to publish logs from such playback.
  2. If I play a bluray ISO movie in normal KODI playback mode, I always get English subtitles if I turn on the subtitles no matter what language, for example Polish. Changing through the Kodi menu does not help. The only thing that helps is to turn on the movie via the bluray menu and select the appropriate subtitles. Is there any way to fix this?

The Great Escape actually has a DV FEL version - check your remux and update accordingly.

Most disk 4K films do have HDR/DV, but some examples from my library that don’t:

Annette
Big
Big Short
Branded to Kill
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Casque d’Or
The Conformist
Daybreak
Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Hateful Eight
Great Silence
High and Low
Hitch
The Hitcher
Ikiru
In the Heat of the Night
Kagemusha
The Mad Adventures of Rabbi Jacob
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Memories of Murder
Narrow Margin
For a Few Dollars More
A Fistful of Dollars
Super Mario World (1993)
Wings of Desire

If we’re talking WEB 4K releases in SDR there are even more, like all of the James Bond films without UHD disk releases are 4K-SDR.

So we cannot use HDR interchangeably with resolution, it’s not accurate and not what VS10 is meant to do.

Did not know the Amazon Fire TV Cube 4K had all the same support is it worth going for one of these ? Any info on the install as I thought these were locked down. Any pitfalls like powering the system on and off by remote as u can get these cheap.

Thanks

Install guide here:

https://xdaforums.com/t/usb-bootable-os-coreelec-21-0-for-firetv-2nd-gen-cube-raven.4616307/

crash logs:

ugoos:~/.kodi/temp # paste kodi_crashlog_20240728154334.log
https://paste.coreelec.org/CandlesOptimism
ugoos:~/.kodi/temp # paste kodi_crashlog_20240727213525.log
https://paste.coreelec.org/PocketFatty
ugoos:~/.kodi/temp # paste kodi_crashlog_20240727213636.log
https://paste.coreelec.org/LapsesProve

My UGOOS AM6B+ updated this morning to the newest nightly 07/27 build and now all my DV movies appear extremely dim. I’ve checked all the settings on my A95L and Kodi and everything is the same as before the update. I tried rebooting the TV and UGOOS. Anyone else having issues? Also, is there a way to downgrade to a nightly that doesn’t have this issue without a complete reset?

I have a similar question. Where can I download the older nightly builds? I was using an old Ce-21 build for months without any issues and two days ago I upgraded to the latest version and now lossless audio is out of sync at least 200MS. Thankfully I had a second flash drive with CE20.5 but I would prefer my old CE21 build.

On another subject, HDR10 black levels are wrong/raised on any build I tried FYI.

Not sure if this is related but have you tried the CPM build that addressed the issue with reading MDL of the ATEME encoded files which caused the display to tone map incorrectly

This should direct you to older builds
https://relkai.coreelec.org/?dir=Amlogic-ng/ce-21/archive

No, they are not for me, at least on one mine and 3 more AM6B+ that I “maintain”. HDR10 black levels are spot on for all 4 devices.
Maybe you should check your display settings/possibilities…

Everything is fine on all my other HDR10 devices so it’s not my settings or my display.

I’ll have a look with my capture card when I get a chance. I only watch DV so I don’t care much about HDR10

thanks, I’ll try.

Unless I’m missing something, I can only see as far as 2024-07-27 which is exactly the version I upgraded to, two days ago… I’m looking for one month old builds

That would suggest that your device is “raising blacks”, don’t you think?

what? That would suggest that the ugoos is raising black…