Dolby Vision for Minix U22X-J (Max) and Ugoos AM6+

I just made some tests too.
SONY A95L + SONY x800m2:

• any DV profile (P7 FEL, P7 MEL, P8, P5): no color space, no color depth, no chroma, RGB
  • HDR10 (UHD): BT.2020, no color depth (?), 4:2:2 chroma, YUV
  • SDR (FHD): BT.709, 12bit, 4:4:4 chroma, YUV

So I think BT.2020 shouldn’t be set. Moreover, the color depth should not be set either.
Maybe it’s the 8bit color space combined with the lack of BT.2020 that causes the color saturation problems?

DV P7 FEL, UHD:

DV P7 MEL, UHD:

DV P8, UHD:

DV P5, UHD:

HDR10, UHD:

SDR, FHD:

1 Like

I am having an issue where I get into a boot loop whenever the sd card is inserted into the ugoos. I am trying to boot into coreelec off the sd card. I tried a factory reset and wiped the SD card and tried everything again but it still happens. It boots to the AMLogic splash screen and then just reboots. Does anyone know what may be happening and how to fix it?

Update the Android OS to 0.5.4 first.

Take out the SD card. Let it boot into Android9. Then go to the Android settings and update. It should update to the latest firmware, 0.5.4.

After that. Shut down, put the SD card back in, you should be good to go

It is already updated to Android 0.5.4 :-/. What had happened was that I had been running the 20.4 DV build off the sd card and it had worked. Then I took the sd card out and put 20.5 normal ng generic build on it, and now it’s doing the boot loop. I even tried putting the original 20.4 DV build back on and it’s still not working. It boots into Android just fine, but if the SD card is in, or I have it in a usb adapter in the OTG slot, it does the boot loop :-/. I am not sure why.

Nevermind I fixed it. Sorry about that. I forgot a few steps there. It had been a while since I did this.

I just got my AM6b+ today and got the latest 21.0 nightly installed with the kernel module. I’m seeing dv capability 7 in my dmesg logs but when I try to play a Dolby Vision video the player just stays on the loading circle screen until I back out. Disabling DV or playing a non-DV HDR file works. Trying to switch to player-led DV doesn’t help. Anyone experienced this before?

I might not be related but I did start out installing the latest 20.5 nightly SD card image by mistake but then upgraded via tar file to 21.

DV FEL was broken in the latest 21.0 nightly (0327). Will need to wait for tonight (hopefully) to fix.

1 Like

Hello. So I am on the 20.5 ng generic build with the Dovi.ko file on the amb6+. FEL works fine, but it appears that Chroma Weight is not working for cm2.9 or cm4.0. Can anyone confirm? Was support for this added in a nightly past 20.5?

That was added after 20.5 You’ll either want 21-rc2 or the latest 0330 nightly.

EDIT: Looks like the latest nightly fixed FEL. Some test films are playing again.

@cpm @MacUsers

echo 512 > /sys/module/amvdec_h265/parameters/dynamic_buf_num_margin

What is this flag doing, is it still needed in the 0330 nightly as FEL playback is working again?

Thanks, I missed that info. Looks like a new 21.0 nightly just dropped and it seems to have fixed DV FEL, at least I can play Ronin 4K now.

It’s running much better. However I did find some FEL titles that have problems skipping chapters, and resuming:

despicable me 2
kindom of the crystal skull
John Wick chapter 4
Menace II Society starts with quarter screen
Midway starts with quarter screen
Scream 3
Spiderman Homecoming
Star Trek First Contact
Star Trek Generations
Star Tre Nemesis
Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
The Untouchables

These all resume fine without issues for 20.5

@Randy420 What do you mean by “chroma weight”? Never heard of that term, and Google returned no relevant hits…

nice testings! The Sony player is set to Tv led, right?

I did some testing with the latest 20240329 CE 20.5 nightly. Picture in DV movies is good and skipping chapters works, but the sound stops working sometimes or gets broken with strange noises. One example ist lone survivor whrere it happens very often, on 1917 it happens once in a while

how did you test that?

Maybe ask DMDReview to do some testing. He is the pro when it comes to DV testing with all its kittle nuances…

For me, FEL videos are playing with a quarter screen.

are the two branches now eqal in terms of dv playback or which one should we use for latest testing?

20.5 until playback issues gets fixed.

@liquidion 20.5 have chroma weight stuff too thanks to tv led working correctly. I wouldn’t suggest 21, It has issues with certain fel movies.

This is seems to be a known issue with Amlogic HEVC driver, not having enough dynamic buffers. Not sure if it’s still needed but won’t harm having. Some details are here in this old thread.

Mine is very strange - one time it palys everything perfectly fine, without a single issue and the next time it doesn’t, especially when some friends around and I like to show-off :joy:
Just updated to Omega-nightly-20240330 and see what that brings in for me. :slight_smile:

Downgrade to 20.5. Just look at a couple post above how all those movies are just fine on 20.5.

@PurplePlayer

At around 1:33 this video tests for chrome weight, among other things: Level 8 (cmv4.0 trims) - Google Drive

Does the 0330 nightly have the @cpm patch built-in?

There is no 0330 build for 20.5, there is one from yesterday.

As far as I know everything, including color space stuff, is included in 20.5 too.

It’s the version cpm started working on after all.