Dolby Vision for Minix U22X-J (Max) and Ugoos AM6+

thanks, I know DV is not supported on my tv but how does this work with Blu-ray 4k players as i would of thought 4k discs would be tone mapped correctly to match a 1080p tv or do they also play with muted colours and a darker picture and they are not compatible with 1080p tvs as i thought these would need to be compatible with older tvs.

so 4k files that don’t have DV will play in normal colour and brightness it’s just DV that causes problems on 10870p tvs.

I am looking to upgrade to 4k tv so i just thought get them now but as they dont play i might have to get 1080p and get my 4k rips later.

All DV discs have a HDR10 fallback layer, so on any not DV device its like a regular HDR10 movie. Bluray players and corelec too have tonemapping in them to map 10 bit colors to 8 bit colors more or less accurately. If you play hdr file without any tonemapping it will throw the colors off. Also profile 5 DV videos dont have a fallback layer, so on non dv devices all colors will be green/purple.

so when playing this back on a pc i get dull colours

Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, Profile 5.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU

the thing is i have the minix as one front end and a pc on another which is 1080p and my work pc with normal monitors, with 1080p content i can watch on any system, the problem is if i start getting 4k videos and the minix plays them right on a 4k tv which is great and might add fantastic work on getting this to work but when i play these files back on a pc in another room on a 1080p tv and a pc with normal monitor how can i get that to work ?

the thing is the colours look right just muted and dark no purple or green tints

thanks

t

CE currently have a missing feature to mix down the colours of p5 to non-DV screen. When I get some time later try again with next nightly as it is already fixed but not yet merged.

Thanks for that, no rush just thought i would post as was not sure what was going on as i will have a mix of 4k tv and 1080p in the future.
I also noticed Andor has the same problem and its info is

Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, Profile 8.1, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, no metadata compression, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, Version HDR10, HDR10 compatible

just in case you need that info but not sure if you mean once its fixed it will work with all profiles or just profile 5

thanks
Great work by the way you made a 20 year Xbox XBMC / PC Xbmc / Kodi user move to android type device for the first time. lol

FYI
CoreELEC is not Android.

1 Like

a android box i mean as i have always used pc and xbox to run the front end.

The fix will be included tomorrow with next nightly.

So any CE DV capable device will play DV of any profile in correct color on non DV capable screen (SDR or HDR only). This include P5 as well.

Hint:
We are currently working for “upscale” from SDR/HDR to DV to. But this will require a bigger rework of the booting strategy as CE is not designed to use DV with always on.

And DV on/off/on/off as example on any channel switch with a PVR client is just annoying. So DV need to stay on whole the time.

5 Likes

is there a fix on the way for the lipsync issue with the next nightly build?

This is a dolby vision thread, there are other threads to ask about lip sync.

Set the delay in the OSD when video is playing

if only it was a fixed delay.

There is a problem with ‘perfect days’ FEL profile 7 remux. The bars of kodi are black during the movie. Someone noticed?

I don’t understand what you mean, the bars of Kodi are black?

If you mean pillarboxing, the film is shot in 4:3, that’s to be expected:

Aspect ratio of 1.33:1

i know that. but if you play the movie, the info-screen of kodi is also black. please try and you will see.

No issue for me, change your file.

i did that already. so you can see the playback, time, chapter info etc. if you play the movie? is it the 2160p remux version?

the movie itself plays fine, but the info is blacked.

Recently got AM6 plus (thats what the box says and serial number begins with AM6plus…). Though the latest androind firmware says just “am6”.
Literally followed the guide with copying dovi.ko to the storage root folder of the latest ng nighty.
But i dont get DV! No options in system-coreelec menu and dv video shows purple.
What am i doing wrong?

That’s an OSD problem, try rebooting the box and then playing it again.

What does Kodi show as HDR Capabilities under System Information → Video?

Also, did you set the HDMI port on your TV or receiver that the box is connected to to the correct settings? Usually something like “Ultra” or “Enhanced” or something similar.

Kodi shows only hdr, hdr10. No DV
Hdmi port on samsung “the frame” tv is “enhanced”. No problems with hdr content.
Dovi.ko is at the right place.
My main doubt is that my am6 isnt really “plus” version. How could i ensure the exact model? Android says just “am6”