[Guide] S922X-J (Ugoos AM6b+) CoreELEC installation and FAQs

I’m having similar results, the HDR to SDR tonemapping results in a pretty dark & dull image. In comparsion, the HDR to SDR tonemapping of an Apple TV playing back the same content on the same device is much brither and more colorful.

The AM6B+ is connected to a projecter that handles SDR much better than HDR content, so I’d love to be able to fix this. Later down the line I’m gonna get a good DV capable TV, which is why I went down the AM6B+ route in addition to an Apple TV for bitstreamed audio.

Q1) I tried watching Spartacus 1960 full mkv rip with DV. I had some strange issues when i got a red screen while skipping forward in scenes. Had to stop play back and start again. Or the audio was playing while it is a black or red screen. Need to try other movies to figure out if it is specific to that MKV.
Q2) works fine for me
Q3)not sure

interesting to hear this. Do you get better SDR conversion from DV content? The few I tried were excellent. HDR10 content is terrible, nowhere near the ATV/Infuse or the Vero 4K / V.

Got my Ugoos AM6b+ today. Followed the guide and I have now CoreELEC installed as dual boot (boots to CoreELEC).
I tried to do single boot but it was giving me errors I then saw others had.
My first question concerns this: there is no way to remove Android completely?

My Storage system info shows three partitions:

/dev/CE_FLASH with size 511M, used at 48% (mounted at /flash)
/dev/CE_STORAGE with size 24.9G, used at 3% (mounted at /storage)
/dev/vendor with size 248M, used at 89% (mounted at /android/vendor)

Where does Kodi save its db, thumbnails, etc.? I guess in storage, but I’d like confirmation before starting to populate its db.

Thanks for the help and for the easy to follow guide.

1 Like

I haven’t compared DV content yet (I think), I’ll do so soon and let you know!

Soon there may be better sdr conversion, Dolby Vision - VS10 Engine on Ugoos AM6+ - Development / Development & Testing - CoreELEC Forums

You guys can just try the dev build posted there.

If I understand correctly, that topic is about SDR to HDR conversion? We’re talking about the opposite, HDR to SDR.

I’ll definitely take a look though :slight_smile:

It also does the opposite.

1 Like

Don’t know why somebody would want to “upscale” SDR to Dolby Vision. Being an option, good for those who want it, I guess. But it remains a mystery to me. :smiley:

Seems to be great for HDR though, it ruins SDR in my opinion. (colors look dark and dull)

1 Like

I might have an incomplete idea about what it does.

You mean you can apply the processing to HDR10 material? That might make more sense, since in most cases we’re tone mapping anyway (I use an OLED with about 700 nits of peak).

Read the last posts on that thread, it’ll give an idea of what it does. There are tests done by dmdreview.

Storage. Removing Android removes DoVi.

Hi Everyone,

There’s been a few comments about using the AM6B+ with a Logitech Remote to turn it ON and OFF. However I don’t seem to have a clear understanding of what needs to be done to make this work via IR.

There’s mention of adding a Zidoo Z9x Device but I’m unclear how to set it up in the Logitech App.

If someone has been able to do this using IR could give me the steps it would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

@andyxoxo44 @Dolbyatmos1
have you tried 20.5 nexus instead of latest nightly build? I read on reddit that people find 20.5 to be very stable.

Q1) Why are people installing latest nightly over 20.5 Nexus?

Q2) If I want to install 20.5 Nexus with P7 FEL mkv playback which image do I download and how do installation instructions differ?

Sure, if I wanted a purple screen for DV content on my 85" Sony then I would use that old version :wink:

According to this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1jBIGF8XTVi9VmDBZ8a5hEyongYMCDlUiLHU9n1f_S74/htmlview#gid=427220017 it is perfectly stable and no glitches and perfect fast forward, revind, etc.

I assumed that the 20.5 was fine, I appreciate your input this will save me time once the device gets shipped to my place.

I use an old Logitech Harmony 650 IR remote (reluctant to part from it :slight_smile: configured for XBMC (X-Box). The power button is configured by capturing/transferring power code from original AM6B remote control…

1 Like

@Flynn84
Can you share your remote conf file for homatics remote, what work in ugoos?
Thx

I just used the remote.conf from the remote repository. Under AmRemote you can find the folder for the Homatics box and the corresponding config. The remote works much better than the Ugoos remote.

However, I now have the small inconvenience that the remote shuts the device down completely (LED completely off) and is not able to start it up again once thats the case. You can still turn the device on via the power button at the side but it’s a little inconvenient. If someone has a suggestion on how to fix this or for a workaround that would be much appreciated. I think it has something to do with the IR code for the Homatics remote for the power button being different from the Ugoos remote and the device not recognizing that and the remote.conf only takes effect when already booted into CoreELEC and not when the device is off.