How to configure VFD

Ok, as I look in the addon git sources I can see that is a few python scripts to use the already running driver/service, so must be a way of controlling some other way to turn the icons on/off.
I’ll investigate further and see my options, thanks.

Hi TheCoolest,

I have a Vontar X3 S905x3 box. Any idea which vfd.conf I need to use? I’ve tried the hk1-x3-vfd.conf, as somebody claimed this is the exact same box. I do see the clock during boot up, but once Kodi is shown the clock disappears immediately.

dmesg: shows:
OpenVFD: Select FD628 controller
OpenVFD: SW SPI 3-wire interface failed to intialize. Invalid CLK (475), DAT (474) or STB (-2) pins

So I changed the STB to 0 and then I get the same behavior, but no error message anymore in the dmesg:
OpenVFD: Select FD628 controller
OpenVFD: SW SPI 3-wire interface intialized (LSB mode)

Thanks for making this possible.

Ahhhh, found it. I had the advanced settings on in the Addon. After disabling that I get the time and the network icons.

Thanks. Problem solved :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Same vfd have also X88king, and not going with config from A95x-R2 and with installed openvfd. Maybe also need this device customized dtb for vfd.

I would need a screenshot of the following command in Android’s terminal:
cat /sys/kernel/debug/gpio

Here is full dmesg.log (169.8 KB)

Try this file and let me know how it works. If it still doesn’t work, post dmesg | paste and systemctl openvfd status | paste URLs
x88-king-vfd.conf (1.2 KB)

VFD now is started to run on coreelec. It is going nice timer. Usually under android is turn on also the white led of top incsription “X88KING” on cover box, but not missing for me and maybe others (too blinding of room). For me is now good setting of vfd. Thank you @TheCoolest ! Maybe it will be possibility for changing of this white led on top cover for RTC baterry or FAN (but in this time it is OK that is power-off of this 2-pined white led on top cover).

Outputs from command are:

dmesg | paste: http://ix.io/2qNA

systemctl openvfd status | paste: Unknow operation openvfd!

Thanks for testing. I’ll add the X88 King config file to the vfd repository.
Regarding the top led, I don’t think it’s VFD related, there must be some other way to control it.

you had true, top led is function of booting proces before a turning of led display on android.

@TheCoolest
I’m using openvfd for RK devices and can confirm it works well. However: I noticed gpios won’t be taken from vfd.conf since some amlogic specific properties are not available in RK devicetrees … so I’m configuring the driver via devicetree only - see: https://github.com/knaerzche/LibreELEC.tv/blob/libreelec-9.2/projects/Rockchip/patches/linux/rockchip-4.4/linux-1002-rk322x-dts.patch#L23-L30 - I just couldn’t find out what the correct syntax for the vaules of vfd_chars and vfd_dot_bits would be - so: can you guide me?

They are a byte array, if I remember correctly.

Following vfd works with Tanix TX5 Deluxe Edition. Remember to save as RAW ( or copy paste in vi using ssh terminal ).

Tanix_TX5_Deluxe_Edition.vfd.conf (1.3 KB)

I’ve a Tanix TX5 Plus Deluxe Edition (4 / 64 / S905X3 / 1G) but your vfd.conf doesn’t work on my device, I don’t know why :thinking:, but this vfd.conf works perfectly:

TaNix_TX5_PLUS_Deluxe_Edition.vfd.conf

I bought it from Amazon EU.

@notFound Do you happen to know your board number? Mine’s U211.

@Betatester, build.prop:

ro.product.name=u211
ro.product.device=u211

@notFound Thanks. Interestingly enough, both configurations work on my box.

I need help with the display of a tx3 mini with FD655 regulator.

You have carried out instructions from OP ???

You have installed the VFD addon from the CoreELEC Repository ??