How to configure VFD

Is this output from Android? If it is, I don’t know what I can help with, there’s no info about the pins for the vfd.
I suspect they may be using the I2C or SPI bus directly, so the pins don’t show up in cat /sys/kernel/debug/gpio command.
It’s a long shot, but can try to run the following commands in Android and check for any useful output.
lsof | grep vfd
lsof | grep fd6
lsof | grep hbs

Another possibility is the DTB from Android, it’s possible, but unlikely that it might have some useful information.

• This is the output of Kodi in CoreElec via SSH
  • How can I connect SSH in Android ?

With the Terminal app

In Android via SSH the commands
lsof | grep vfd
lsof | grep fd6
lsof | grep hbs

are accepted, but nothing happens!

In CoreElec via SSH output is:
*gpiochip1: GPIOs 410-495, parent: platform/pinctrl@ff634480, periphs-banks:
gpio-445 ( |amlsd ) out hi
gpio-458 ( |amlsd ) in lo
gpio-482 ( |sdio_wifi ) out hi
gpio-483 ( |sdio_wifi ) in lo
gpio-493 ( |bt_rfkill ) out hi
gpio-495 ( |bt_rfkill ) out hi

gpiochip0: GPIOs 496-511, parent: platform/pinctrl@ff800014, aobus-banks:
gpio-498 ( |avout_mute ) out hi
gpio-499 ( |key ) in hi
gpio-507 ( |? ) out hi

see above:

Please run cat /sys/kernel/debug/gpio in Android Terminal

here you go : thanks

Can you also take a picture of the working display in Android? I just need to see what type of display it is (the icon config it uses)

Also, try the x88-king vfd. Make sure to get the raw file content and rename it to vfd.conf, then reboot CoreELEC.

The x88-king did it !!!
as soon as I reverted all OpenVFD to DEFAULTS it started to work flawlessly - you can add this file to the repo :-). TYVM !!

X99MAX_s922x_vfd.conf (1.2 KB)

1 Like

I’ll add the file to the remote package.

This is for the vfd, not remote.

1 Like

I know. I have it seen included in some other packages like for the remote of the TaNiX TX3 and TX5, and found it a good idea. I grandfathered it in.

1 Like

Hi there!
I know this question is a long shot, but I believe you can help me.
I have an X96 air p2 and the vfd works fine, but I find it small and too blue.
Do you know if I could replace the Vfd/Lcd or even use a graphical display to indicate more info, even the actually playing content’s name, etc?

So tldr: Can I replace the vfd on the x96 air p2, and if so, which are compatible? Thanks :slight_smile: i am not afraid of soldering of course!

Technically it’s possible. Practically I can’t recommend anybody to do it.
Depending on the internal structure of the device, you would have to de-solder the display controller and the display itself, and then solder in the connections for your replacement display.
You can replace it with an I2C SSD1306\9 or SH1106 OLED display, a HD44780 alphanumeric display (with I2C backpack). It’s possible to use an SPI display, but only if it requires at most 3 control pins, as that’s all that you have available.

Hi All

I have a A95x Max v.81 box… display works but showing only time or boot… is that all it can show under CoreElec …

Kind regards…

Did you read the first post in this very topic? If not, then I suggest that you do.

Yes i did… and display does work with time and boot… But no wifi or other symbols…

i did copy a file for this from an other tread… and that made it work with time and boot… otherwise it was only boot… ))

Just wonder if more option could be activated…

Regards…

Reread step 4.

Wonderfull It Works …!! Thank you very much…

1 Like