How to configure VFD

First of all, make sure that you DO NOT have the OpenVFD addon installed. Since your display doesn’t have any indicators besides :, you don’t need it.

Second, is the time _0:41 or 0_:41? Are the minutes 100% correct?

But basically, the layout of the chars is < D,H,H:M,M > Order of display chars (D=dots, represented by a single char)
So you need to leave the first 2 where it is and then play around with different combinations of numbers from 0 to 3 (perhaps try 4 and see if the missing hour digit appears)

Now I get this

Awesome, change to vfd_display_type='0x00,0x00,0x00,0x05'
Which of the two files did you use as basis?

Used file 2, changed to 0x00.0x00.0x00.0x05

Clock in the mirror reflection

Try this:
2-m96x-ii-plus-vfd.conf (1.2 KB)

Everything is fine now, but no icons are displayed

I still need some guidance here. You’re right it says _21:1 (time was 12:12). I tried changing the 3rd digit to different value, but fail to see the logic yet. For instance, vfd_chars=‘2,0,4,2,3’ gives:

3:72

Actual time: 12:37. So the display is missing the 1st digit and the : is in the wrong place.

vfd_chars=‘2,0,3,2,3’ gives:

4:0 - actual time 12:40

Did you install the OpenVFD Service addon?

Nope, I double checked: it’s not installed.

Openvfd service Installed

What I mean is that the display has HH : MM display.
By _ I meant a missing character. You can’t have _21:1.
If vfd_chars='2,0,4,2,3' gives _3:72 (rather than 3_:72), then try the following:
vfd_chars='2,1,3,4,2'

The service costs but the icons are not displayed

Got it!! I misinterpretated “moving around”. The correct sequence is:

vfd_chars=‘2,1,2,3,4’

For future reference I’ve included the complete vfd.conf:
vfd.conf (1.2 KB)

1 Like

Just for kicks: when I opened up the TX I saw something that looks like an on/off LED. When I boot Android this LED doesn’t do anything, so not sure if it works, but is there a way to get this to work? Not that this is necessary, but it would be fun to try. This is a picture of the PCB and the mentioned LED:

If you mean the part above the display, that is the IR receiver.

Ah yes, of cource…silly me :-). Pardon me for my ignorance!

Not sure why changing it to a different display type “break” the icons. As long as you didn’t change the first vfd_chars entry, it should work correctly.

0х01,0х00,0х00,0х05
With this parameter, the icons work but the clock is displayed upside down