How to configure VFD

Try other numbers, 0x02,0x03,0x04,0x05,0x06,0x07,0x08,0x09

The icons work only on the combination that I indicated above, the other icons do not work

Not sure what to tell you, but it should work the same with all the other display types.

Thank you very much for your work and help, please add the file to the repository, the display with the clock is already working well, but from the icon and I will try to play with the configuration again, if it works out I will definitely let you know …

thanks again

1 Like

Is it possible for your driver to compile for android?

It’s possible, there’s nothing “non-standard” in it.

This is weird. I bought 2 additional TX3 mini’s. These have the same hardware (I verified by opening up the box). But the vfd.config I used for the other box isn’t working. I managed to get the display working by using:

vfd_chars=‘0,1,2,3,4’
vfd_display_type=‘0x00,0x00,0x00,0x06’

However I can’t get the : to appear, no matter what I try. Also, nothing is displayed on boot (the other box displays: “boot”). Might that be a missing kernel command line parameter?

Also, I don’t get why vfd_display_type=‘0x00,0x00,0x00,0x03’ doesn’t work: all 3 boxes have the FD650B-S controller. And if I understand Arthur Liberman’s github page correctly the 0x06 is an entire different controller. And accoring to dmesg the vfd driver identifies it as a FD6551.

** confused **

The story gets even weirder. I’d created an image of the Android installation of the first TX3 I’d ordered. Today, I wrote that image to one of the new TX3 boxes, booted that and (of course) the display worked. Next, I booted coreelec from and presto, the display is working perfectly, using the same config as the first TX3.

I’m not exactly sure what’s going, but I’m happy with the result. I suspect that for some reason with these devices you must first go through the Android installation process and only then install Coreelec - in order to get the display to work correctly.

Did you try to unplug power from the box and then power it back up?
Did you install CE on a SD card or in internal memory? Which method did you use if you installed on internal.

These are the steps I took:
1st TX3 box:

• boot Android
  • boot CE from SD and create image of /dev/mmcblk0 (= Android) using dd
  • install CE to emmc

2nd TX3 box:

• boot CE from SD card and install CE to emmc.
  • boot CE from emmc: found out display not working correctly, etc.
  • boot CE from SD card, restore Android image of 1st box to /dev/mmcblk0
  • boot Android
  • boot CE from SD card (vfd.conf from 1st box included): display now working corretly from the start-up
  • installed CE to emmc

Just notice a side effect: the MAC address changed. Was afraid that might happen. Not sure how and where the MAC address is acquired during the boot process. Is there anyway to restore it, permanently (i.e. nog using ifconfig or the likes)?

Correction: the 4th step on the 2nd box (“boot Android”), isn’t necessary. Just tried with the3rd box: after restoring the Android image I booted CE from SD Card and presto, the display showed “boot” immediately (and the time after the boot process had completed).

I suspect this might be a u-boot thing, but that’s just a guess. I’m not really familiar with this stuff.

Yeah, I don’t think I have an answer for you. Maybe the original bootloader was messing with the vfd controller, and the new image you used worked better.
In any case, if it works now, then great.

Works perfectly on my T95 (X96 Max Plus Android 9.0 Smart TV Box Amlogic S905X3)

vfd-configurations/x96-max-1gbit-vfd.conf at master · arthur-liberman/vfd-configurations · GitHub

Copied txt file into notepad. Saved as vfd.conf
Copied file into root directory on box using windows. In my case \192.168.0.1xx
Also put a copy into configfiles directory. Dont know what location made it work but after a reboot up came the time :slight_smile:
Also installed the addon from Coreelec (Addons/services/OpenVFD ) in Addons under tools.

My box…
X96 Max Plus Android 9.0 Smart TV Box Amlogic S905X3 Quad Core 4G 32G/64G 2.4G&5.0G Dual WIFI BT4.0 8K HD Set Top Box PK X96 MAX|Set-top Boxes| - AliExpress

X96 Air S905x3 P3 revision and X96 Max S905x2 VFD minor inconvenience/question.

Everything is working as far as I can tell, but I don’t see the WIFI icon at any time. Is there an extra step to see the wifi icon displayed or is it that these boxes don’t have a wifi icon??

I see the HDMI, USB, APPS icons etc. All icons are selected in the OpenVFD addon. Wifi is connected. I used the following vfd config file for both boxes:- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/arthur-liberman/vfd-configurations/master/x96-max-1gbit-vfd.conf and used the following dtbs:- sm1_s905x3_4g_1gbit.dtb and g12a_s905x2_4g_1gbit.dtb respectively.

This is running CE Matrix 19 rc1.

To see what the display can show, open the box back to the original Android and check what the VFD shows there. Take a pic for future ref.
In my mind though the symbols are too small to be of any much use anyway.

I recently bought a H9x3 and dtb sm1_s905x3 only. It boots CE fine, but the vfd from GitHub - arthur-liberman/vfd-configurations: vfd.config - A collection of configuration files for linux devices with a front facing display. are not working (chip AIP650E0).
Report from Android

gpiochip1: GPIOs 410-495, parent: platform/pinctrl@ff634480, periphs-banks:
gpio-448 ( |amlsd ) out hi
gpio-458 ( |amlsd ) in lo
gpio-482 ( |sdio_wifi ) out lo
gpio-483 ( |sdio_wifi ) in lo
gpio-493 ( |bt_rfkill ) out hi

gpiochip0: GPIOs 496-511, parent: platform/pinctrl@ff800014, aobus-banks:
gpio-498 ( |avout_mute ) out hi
gpio-502 ( |fd650_scl ) out hi
gpio-503 ( |fd650_sda ) out hi
gpio-507 ( |? ) out lo

Report from CE
/storage/.config$ cat /sys/kernel/debug/gpio
gpiochip1: GPIOs 410-495, parent: platform/pinctrl@ff634480, periphs-banks:
gpio-448 ( |amlsd ) out hi
gpio-458 ( |amlsd ) in lo
gpio-482 ( |sdio_wifi ) out hi
gpio-483 ( |sdio_wifi ) in hi
gpio-493 ( |bt_rfkill ) out hi
gpio-495 ( |bt_rfkill ) out lo

gpiochip0: GPIOs 496-511, parent: platform/pinctrl@ff800014, aobus-banks:
gpio-498 ( |avout_mute ) out hi
gpio-499 ( |key ) in hi
gpio-507 ( |? ) out lo

20210420_120320

Can you help me?

Try this and let me know if the clock and colon work correctly
h9-x3-vfd.conf (1.1 KB)

If instead of the colon you see another icon blinking, try changing the first 2 in vfd_chars to 0 or 1 or 3 and see which one lights up which icon, and let me know which number blinks which icon.

It is not correct. I tried all. Nothing blinks. The time on display is 8 29, it should be correct 19:28

Now the clock work correcty, but colon do not work.
vfd_chars=‘0,4,3,2,1’
Also icons (net, wifi, usb) do not work.