Interesting DV

How much work would it take for a 32bit CoreELEC?

I did it once but with lots of stuff disabled. Itā€™s possible but too much work too little time.
If I would guess I would say 3-6 months if someone works full time on it.

2 Likes

Can you upload an alpha test version with disabled stuffs? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I donā€™t think I have it anymore.

Hi all,

Probably been asked before, and also probably a noob question but I would appreciate an answer.

I have an Odroid N2 running the latest CE Matrix thatā€™s connected to a compatible DV TV. I know CE and the N2 do not support DV, but what is the result if I try and play a DV video?

TIA and sorry about the noob question again.

EDIT: My reason for asking is Iā€™m having issues streaming a 4K 18Mbps DV video on the N2 from a Hosted Plex Server. The video is very jerky, buffering and skipping forward just 1 minute or resuming just gives me a black screen forever and the waiting symbol.

If I have the same video, 4K 18Mbps, but in HDR and not DV thereā€™s no issues at all.

Wrong colors - not watchable

1 Like

The results of trying to watch a DV video, depends on the type of DV video you are trying to play.
It can range from doesnā€™t play to color being off to nothing noticeable besides it just not being played in DV.

I have some Dolby Vision .MP4 files that are only supported on my Android TV with a modified/special (but old) version for Android ā†’ GitHub - fandangos/Kodi-HDR-Edition: Kodi HDR Edition
(The issue is the typical green/violet coloring. Same issue with Kodi-Nexus on Win10 and Android)

Will this issue be sorted out in future Kodi/CoreElec releases?
(I can give info on the file/codecs, if you tell me how) :slight_smile:

When you would have used the board search function you should have your answer already.

1 Like

@4ltj4 the answer is a couple of posts above:

Releases Ā· fandangos/Kodi-HDR-Edition Ā· GitHub maybe this is of some use to you? Aarch64 with DolbyVision support

Only thing that can help us is a 64 bit dovi.ko kernel module. Ray pointed out that it might be in the 5.4 kernel but that kernel dropped support for older devices. Newer devices that would be of interest to us is not coming with Dolby vision license so far.

You mean S922X-J is already considered ā€œolderā€ CPU without 5.4+ kernel support?
That is very unfortunate if AML already dropped support for itā€™s flagship CPUs.
There are definitely armbian builds with 5.10 and 5.15 kernels available, not sure whether the module is there: Releases Ā· ophub/amlogic-s9xxx-armbian Ā· GitHub

I gave up on Dolby vision, sold both my minix boxes and replaced them with the vim 4. HDR looks great on the C1. MKV files probably wonā€™t ever work properly which is a deal breaker for me.

I have upgraded from my old Ugoos AM6 to AM6B+ and DV is working quite good on Android via ā€œMaven Kodi 19.4ā€ (and Kodi 20 Alpha), but I donā€™t like rebooting between CE and Android.
I still prefer CoreElec in general and havenā€™t given up hope for DoVi working with some future CoreElec versions. Never say never :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If we were to organise a fundraiser, would none of the developers be able to port CoreELEC to 32 bit? We have in our hands the best pciture quality SoC, which is also unique in being able to decode the Full Enhancement Layer and we canā€™t exploit it. 90% of the movies released today are already Dolby Vision.

I think in the future we will see it eventually. Not with the current SoCs, but with 5.4 kernel and if there are vendors going with DV enabled SoCā€™s of the next generation we will be able to make it happen.
Itā€™s not a question of money.

The Vim 4 supposedly Dolby Vision enabled. 64 bit android image available also.

DV is supported since G12B but only available with SoC what do include the extra license for big :money_mouth_face:

So, no. VIM4 will never do handle DV.

2 Likes

On January 11th, the kodi nightly edition will support DOVI, and hopefully CE will keep up.
Thank you.

2 Likes