Khadas VIM3 testbuilds

Sorry my bad, But the img should work with USB Stick right ?

Don’t have a VIM3, I don’t remember exactly. I think it should work.

Thanks will give it another try tonight.

If you follow the installation guide correctly, using the correct image and device tree then you will have no problems booting from USB.

Thank you Dear. Will try it tonight.

Appreciate your support.

Your work in the latest nightly has fixed the glitchy gui bug, thankyou!:grin:… CEC is also improved, it’s still not working perfectly but now I can turn off the tv without it turning back on again. After switching sources ie from hdmi1 (ce) to TV and back again cec stops but then by playing a video sometimes it starts working again. I’ve attached a log where I rebooted the vim3 changed source then played a video and cec worked again here is the link http://ix.io/1TLa

Also in system information cpu speed is shown as 1.8ghz is there a way I can get the full 2.2ghz the a113 is supposed to be?
Thanks for your continued work :smile:

You are getting the full 2.2GHz. 1.8GHz is the A53 core cluster.

1 Like

Finally got it to work. It was my mistake of not using Key mode to boot from USB.
Coreelec is cool for Media Centre use :smiley:

But I think the update killed it as soon as it asked for reboot, I did it and it didnt boot. Well will give it a full try this weekend.

Good work guys :+1:

Edit: Everytime I have to do Key Update mode to make it boot from USB CoreElec :frowning: otherwise it boots in Android.

Anyways Thanks. testing more tonight.

VIM3 can’t HW decode this 1080i h264 4-2-2 26mbps sample video.

and I read A311D specs. it’s support:
AVS-P16(AVS+) /AVS-P2 JiZhun Profile up to 1080P@60fps,
AVS2-P2 Profile up to 4Kx2K@60fps

but So far coreelec can play AVS/AVS+, but support not so well, sometimes you need to open it serveral times, then it playback normally ,
and for AVS2, coreelec can’t playback. I uploaded two sample files for testing
AVS HD sample.TS
4K_AVS2_AAC5.1.ts

H264 422 is not HW supported

OK,thanks for reply

@vpeter @Portisch @anon88919003 installtoemmc now works for V12 version. thanks

But there is a problem,Once CE be written to emmc, VIM3 can not be shutdown or suspend,no matter ce boot from emmc or SD.

1 Like

If the 4-2-2 refer to the chroma sample, it is not within the BD/UHBD white paper spec. 99.999999999999% media file from BD/UHD disk is 420.

Has anybody else with the vim3 added a thermal pad between the bottom of the board and the metal plate?
I did mine a few days ago and since then my max temp I’ve been able to get is 52•. before it would be 60•. (Heatsink only no fan)
It’s really easy to do you just dismantle the vim3 removing the heatsink, board and bottom of the case and you will see a rectangle in the case that’s held in with 4 tiny corner tabs. I used a #11 scalpel to slice it off and then you can position a 4x3cm thermal pad in that space so it sits on the metal bottom plate and makes contact with the bottom of the board when you reassemble.
So now it has the heatsink at the top and a huge heatsink at the bottom.

2 Likes

I ordered the pad & fan 2 days ago. I saw the video https://youtu.be/wQ94N7LQMhw?t=125
The Pad can be ordered https://www.khadas.com/product-page/heat-pad-for-metal-plate
Note the height dimensions 5mm.
Dimensions: 38mm (L) x 28mm (B) x 5mm (H)

Is it just me or does it look like this guy has used tape to create a kind of tunnel so air is passed along the fins of the heatsink?

1 Like

I didn’t realise it was actually a “official” way to cool it, I thought I’d discovered a neat trick :sweat_smile: luckily I already had some larger sheets of thermal pad material I was able to cut to size. I’m still waiting on my fan to be delivered, according to khadas it will be shipped out around the 13th sept when they get them in stock but by looking at my temps now I don’t think it’s actually needed anymore but it will be interesting to see how much lower the temps drop with a fan aswell

1 Like

It does, it’s hard to tell from that screenshot but if the fan has side intakes and outtake out of the top centre then some tape creating direct airflow through the fins could be quite effective

You’re right Adam. I just went back to the video and he’s definitely got something in clear over the whole fins.

Yep because it’s also covering the fan, that is a dust magnet in the making if hes using sellotape, I can see the build up now :face_with_hand_over_mouth: but at least I guess you can visually see it when it happens.

Let us know what temperatures you get before and after with the fan attached.

1 Like