MeCool KIII PRO does not boot

While copying large files in the ‘File Manager’ of Kodi.

File copy operations have the following sequence: SSD_read -> USB_2.0_port -> RAM_memory -> USB_2.0_port -> SSD_write. Total reading speed + writing = 80 MB/s.

Although the SSD can reach read speeds of 500 MB/s and write speeds of 450 MB/s, the limitation is found in the USB 2.0 port of Mecool KIII Pro.

USB2.0 has a Bitrate of 480Mbit/s (brutto), which will result in max. datarate of 40MB/s (netto).
Weird…:thinking:
But you may be right, 40MB/s for read + 40MB/s for write = 80MB/s :wink:

An issue with SD card? What do you exactly mean?
I’ve never had a problem with a new clean installation. Just like the box changes some files that destroys booting sometimes. I don’t think the SD card is corrupted, tested.

I said SD card reader, not SD card itself.
Edit: Try to use external SD card reader with the same SD card to see if the problem is with INTERNAL sd card reader.

of course, I forgot to write the word “reader” :slight_smile:
but can you please specify it more what you know about?

have a look here:

1 Like

The maximum speeds shown by Kodi exceed 80 MB/s but evidently the average speed can not exceed USB 2.0 speed values of 35 MB/s or maybe a little more. However, SSDs work very well.

Try to do the test of copying a backup inside Kodi (and inside your flash memory) and tell me your speed values.

Installations that boot from either SD or USB devices, as recommended, are fully supported :wink:
Only installs that boot from internal storage (of devices that do not incorporate a manufacturer provided dual boot function) receive no support from the devs

@rho-bot Thx! I have no problems on running with my SD card, just the ability of booting is lost many times and when I rewrite the files on my SD it boots but with an error (taken from another installation, but the error was expected - the reason I’m asking which minimum files to rewrite could fix that). I’ll try an USB SD card reader.

@Poida We know

In my experience since Openelec on RPi it is enough to copy these files from .tar to SD card:
KERNEL -> kernel.img
KERNEL.md5 -> kernel.img.md5
SYSTEM -> SYSTEM
SYSTEM -> SYSTEM.md5

That is enough if there is no problem with data partition. I do it often to update to new versions, or to downgrade if needed…

1 Like

So, your claim of … and the speed of writing to disk exceeds 80 MB/s without any problem is totally a bogus and misleading. AFAIK, a USB2 specification clearly says its read (probably slower in write) performance is @480 Mbps (no more than 60 MBps). In reality, I would be surprised if anyone can get even beyond 35 MBps write performance. Thus, prompted me to ask how you achieve such an 80 MBps write performance.

This definitely sound like a contact problem of the internal SD slot. If contact isn’t proper, there will likely occur read and/or write errors to the SDcard.
I suggest to do a fresh install & put some tape on top of the sdcard, to make it thicker and increase pressure on the contacts.
But if you prefer fixing biterrors, just go ahead

1 Like

Ahh good!. Didn’t want less informed folk being misled by the incorrect statement:

You’ll get support for any installation using approved methods (not just SD) :wink:

@Sholander @rho-bot thx guys, I’ll arrange myself acc to your advices!

I’m only just starting out with CoreElec on a Mecool KIII PRO and have it installed on SD. Didn’t know it could be installed on a USB device. How do I do that? ie can I just copy the SD card to a USB stick and expect the system to automatically boot from it?

You can take an image of the SDcard and write it to USB device.
Best solution is probably to;

1. Make a CE backup of existing install to (or copy backup to) external media
  2. Download (.gz) image for new install from CE and write it to USB device
  3. Restore CE backup from external media (after booting from USB)

Don’t forget, to boot from USB, you have to remove SD card that contains present CE installation :wink:

Can I just dd if=SD of=USB then insert USB after removing SD, switch on and expect to boot from USB?

Dou you have an uSD to USB adapter? If so just put your uSD card to the USB adapter, and try to boot from USB. Try all USB ports, and if CE does not boot then it’s not supported on your box.

1 Like

I tried my SD card in a USB adapter and it booted in all four USB ports which surprised me as I thought you had to use the TF slot…

Try it. If it doesn’t work, try what I said :thinking: