Nightly builds (NEW)

I hadn’t made a post about it yet but I’ve had this exact problem on the nightlies. USB devices randomly getting disconnected and dmesg showing those xhci-hcd messages. I’m glad there’s a patch, hopefully it can be implemented in the new kernel without too much trouble.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, does anyone have any insight as to why HDR2SDR behaves differently on the nightly builds on the S905X3 to the stable on the S905X? Is it likely to be hardware or software related? Thanks!

What do you mean by behaves differently. Most likely it’s because there is a different tone map in the new kernel.

I mean that the saturation/contrast on the nightly builds is not the same. It’s dull and washed out compared to how it should look (and I’m not just basing the ‘should’ on the stable build on the S905X, but on multiple sources).

I could probably take pictures if it helps to illustrate?

Is it set to on or auto?

Tried both on every nightly build so far, no difference. If I set it to off it’s clearly not performing any conversion, but while on or auto do something, it’s not as it used to/should be.

Is the HDR2SDR works OK on nightly builds for S905X?

I don’t know if this is the right place to post my problem with tp link ue330, but it manifests in Nightly builds.

I would like to update the driver for the tp link ue330, it is practically impossible to use on the S905X3 as a usb hub. I think the version 1.08.9 that is installed creates problems, I downloaded r8152.53.56-2.12.0.tar, but I don’t know how and I didn’t have linux installed on any PC. Maybe at a future nightly build you can help me, it’s not a rush. In the stable version is the driver v1.09.10 and seems to be ok, but on the S905x3 I can not put the stable version.
I could not download v1.09.10, only found r8152.53.56-2.12.0. I also attach the driver, if you manage to make time for it.

https://mega.nz/#!1jxTTKZL!NfsIC-bX2QMzeZE-Pn-Ny7B7iQT_-qTz4nqTgpdN8Gc

Thank you in advance,
Borza

x96max plus 4g+32g s905x3, use the last nightly, can’t get the correct CPU information. thanks.

S905X3 is a new SoC
I don´t think it´s a big issue and would be solved soon.

It does, but again I’m not sure if that’s because there’s a software difference between the two.

I use a BeeLink S905X box with CE 9.2.1 (old kernel) and an Odroid N2
with latest nightly 20191227 (NEW kernel).

My TV does not support HDR, so I use the HDR2SDR
function of CE with setting to auto when playing 4K/BT.2020 content.

In my opinion HDR2SDR works much better on my old S905X-box. Colors are
not washed out, but pretty good and strong (but not too oversaturated).

On N2 the picture is too dark and there are sometimes heavy artifacts
(see my post Artifacts with HDR2SDR function)
The artifacts are vanished when HDR2SDR is disabled.

Concerning the too dark picture on N2 I have to use another TV-setting/profile and tune up
the backlight and contrast to maximum. The picture is better then but not as good
as with the S905X-box. With S905X the picture is more vivid and there are no artifacts with S905X.

This behaviour on N2 is exactly the same in the NEW kernel and in the old one also (with 9.2.1).
So it has nothing to do with the kernel-switch.

@anon88919003 mentioned the tonemapping is burried deeply in the kernel, so the CE devs cannot help.
So who can manage to change the tonemapping in the N2-kernel?
Can you give me a link to file a request? I don’t know how to start with this…

If logs or more infos are required, please ask me.

This is done by amlogic, I don’t know who you can address a change request to.

Can bootloader be involved in the HDR2SDR tone mapping?

Nope.
Tone mapping - amlogic

Hi,

Having problem playing 4k content on last nightly (same as stable release)
X96max (2/16)
Here is media info : https://pastebin.com/G247T8cW
Nothing on screen (even seek bar, button, … nothing), no sound.
When I stop the movie on remote, it stop and i’m back to the library.
Using a usb3 gigabit lan adapter and os installed on µSD.
It’s not a problem, i’ve DL the 1080p version and it’s working fine.
But if it can help to handle all formats, i’m glad :slight_smile:
Cheers

PS : I’ll provide logs later, forgot to dump it…

I see there is a nightly posted today for generic devices. I own an S905 one, what changes does it bring to mine?

Is there a no signal to TV? Try setting 4K GUI resolution and see if you also get a black screen.

Nothing really.

Well that is a bummer. Means my shiny new box isn’t really the one-stop solution I’d hoped for. Oh well, hopefully in time… Thanks for clarifying!