Odroid N2 and internal DVB tuners

Thanks. I get it now.

12V power is necessary for dvb-s/s2. GND input and GND output on 1V2 board are short connected. One of them is enough to connect.

2 Likes

Please tell me.
What 2 cheap tuners can I buy for N2 and how to connect these 2 tuners (schem)?

Thank you

Even if it did, these old cards generally fall off a cliff of support after a finite time.

Shoog

A SAT>IP box is about the cheapest way to get two tuners. These are far more reliably supported than many of the cheaper USB tuners they are up against.

There is also a two tuner version, but it doesnā€™t fully support the SAT>IP protocol which can make detection erratic.

Cost wise there is no other option which will get you 2 tuners for ā‚¬74.00

The real beauty of SAT > IP is it is platform agnostic, just so long as TVHeadend supports the protocol it will work on any hardware.

Shoog

1 Like

Good @Shoog your statement is great.
More Here in Brazil we have DVB-C / ISDB-T / DVB-S2
If I am mistaken please can fix, Telestar and just DVB-S?
So I will be limited, correct.
I bought a usb TBS5520SE and it works with CoreELEC.
@afl1 has support for it! TBS5520SE :+1: @blackride For sure and a good option.
TBS5520SE DVB-S2X/S2/S, DVB-T2/T, DVB-C2/C, ISDB-T
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TBS5520SE-Multi-standard-Universal-USB-Digital-TV-Tuner-Box-For-IPTV-Streaming-/232841429448
Here the same in operation.

The Digibits do both S and S2. Its extremely rare for a tuner to also support terrestrial, but terrestrial USB tuners are cheap as chips.

Shoog

Nobody donā€™t will constantly maintain tvheadend for this piece of iron. Author said, you can connect 2 tuners. Yes, there are no tuners for sale from Chinese boxes, but there are from wetek play 2. Only, author did not show the connection scheme of the two modules.

please give a diagram of how to connect two tuners:
Mecool K-series internal DVB tuner
Wetek WP2 internal DVB tuners
Khadas VTV board

1 Like

I there. Very interesting post. Iā€™ve got a pair of Mecool K1 plus and wondered so many times if this could be done. Iā€™ve run CE on it successfully for almost two years now, but since it has S905 SOC it starts to become obsoleteā€¦ It also as a huge overheating problem and sometimes everything just gets frozen, and you have to unplug it from the power to get it back. So Iā€™m switching to the new S905X2 with a pair of Magicsee N5 Max, but Iā€™m missing DVB-S2 tunerā€¦

My question is: I donā€™t have an Odroid N2, but I do have an old Raspberry Pi 2 in a drawerā€¦ Enough to provide just tvh signal to my new S905X2 boxes by local network. So, are GPIO diagrams compatible between them? I mean, if I take the first diagram and build the connections exactly like that but using a RPi2, will it work?

If notā€¦ is there any way to determine which are the equivalents between O-N2 gpio set and the RPi2?

Thank you very much in advance :slight_smile:

It would be a better solution to run your Mecool k1 as a headless TVH server and unburden it from doing the heavy lifting of video decoding. TVH is a light duty and a S905 should be more than capable of doing this indefinately.
As far as I can tell all you would have to do is add kill kodi service to a startup script.

Shoog

Yep, that is exactly what Iā€™m doing now :smiley:

This is a better solution as it locks your TVH system down to a stable set of hardware and avoids the possibility of an update breaking it. It freeā€™s you up to remain on the bleeding edge without the fear that TVH will have to be setup from scratch if an update fails.
It also means that the TVH server will never drop your tuner hardware - unlike CE which might.

Shoog

1 Like

This was an interesting read, first time i will be adding a tuner, few tips required?

I ordered a Xbox One USB tuner as it was a cheap first start.

What drivers would you recommend and what PVR, this is totally new to me.

The Xbox tuner works with drivers from latest kernel. You can use tvheadend server and client.

Thanks, exactly what i have already set up ready to go. Just gotta read up how you actually use it.

Question, can you select recording destination? Would like to use my 8tb hdd.

And i assume i would need 2 units two record two channels, not that im that interested in that at present, just getting it up and running.

You can configure in tvheadend the recording destination and yes, you need more than one to watch one channel and record another (if they are in different muxes).

Ah thats grand, well pick it up tomorrow so will be nice to have a play.

Would be great to have everything running on CE with having to flip channels and whatnot.

Ok tuner installed, tvheadend installed, but i cant access it from pc, just says refused to connect, is there anything i have to do to engage it?

What does tuner installed OK mean ??
TV Headend what ?? Client or Server ??