Odroid N2 test builds

• Refresh rate switching is automatic, but you can choose how/when it will actually do the refresh rate switching.
  • Number of channels has to be set to 2.0 for passthrough to work correctly.
  • HDR to SDR enables watching HDR content on SDR displays.
  • SDR to HDR forces HDR to be always on, and tone maps SDR to HDR. This is not recommended.
    I suggest to keep both settings Off.

Thank you very much for suggesting this, it was not the issue… but helped me to find the issue!

I tried 2 different HDMI cables prior (the same brand) and both seamed to have the same issue!
When I hooked it up directly to the TV, I used a new HDMI cable (the 3rd new cable)… and It seams to be doing just fine now!

Man i’m super excited about this, I’m for sure buying another Odroid N2 for the upstairs! These things are absolutely awesome! Thank you guys!

1 Like

Refresh rate settings on the Vero 4K + has an option for “Auto” AND options for start/stop. That is why I was confused. Thanks for the clarification.

I set the channel to 2.0 and also 7.1, and it still passes the same Dolby TrueHD 48KHz 7.1 ch B to my receiver. Audio is being sent via HDMI cable. Also the notes when setting the channels say that it won’t effect passthrough: “Select the number of channels supported by the audio connection, or the number of speakers if connected by analogue connections. This setting does not apply to passthrough audio. Note: S/PDIF supports 2.0 channels only but can still output multichannel audio using a format supported by passthrough.”

I have tried multiple variations of the 2 SDR/HDR settings. The Default is not to have both set to OFF. But instead is favoring SDR. I basically flipped the settings backwards to favor HDR instead (Since I have an HDR capable receiver)

I see. I’m not sure what Auto does on OSMC, so I can’t really comment about it.
In CE you have:

• Never, which means it’s off.
  • On Start/Stop, which means it switches on playback start and playback stop.
  • On Start, which means it only switches once every time you start a new video.

CE on 4.9 kernel, doesn’t support LPCM, and so you need to keep channel count setting at 2.0. Otherwise you may get the problems you described with audio glitching.

Both options should be off, if you have a HDR capable display.
CoreELEC will automatically switch into and out of HDR mode when you play HDR content. There’s 0 benefits keeping HDR always on.

1 Like

Awesome, great info and clarification on some of these settings! Thank you very much.

I have it set to OFF for both the SDR/HDR settings, and adjusted the channels to 2.0. With the new cable it seams to have resolved the in/out issue I was having with the video/audio and hasn’t had an issue since!

Man i’m so happy to finally have a solid 4k HDR, HD Audio passthrough Plex Client that can direct play my stuff.

That’s one thing I find really nice about CoreELEC and the N2, audio passthru works reliably which is great for running an AVR, something I also appreciate.

2 Likes

Hello,

I’m bringing my Odroid N2 on holiday with me, and I was thinking about copying some of my movies on a USB stick.

My question is: which file system should I format the USB stick to?
Will exFAT be okay, or should I make it ext4?

Does CoreELEC read exFAT USBs? If not, does it read ext4 ones?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Unfortunately at the moment I already moved my N2 otherwise I’d try it myself…

It can read NTFS too.

1 Like

Perfect, thanks for the quick response!

I’ll go with exFAT then, as it can be read by my phone too.

I never tried exfat…

Hi just recently upgraded to a n2 from a h96 pro s912, installed ce onto the emmc flawlessly. So far everything has been smooth until I tried to play a 4K stream, hdr active pops up then a blank screen with no signal sound is playing but nothing else. Tv, receiver and cables are all perfect for 4K as it all worked with the h96.any ideas what could the issue be or things I could try.

What TV? What AVR?

I still have my H96 Pro and it is connected to my AVR side-by-side with an N2 and a VIM3.
All works without black screen stuff you experience.
Could you check the video signal details on your AVR (with the S912 and with the N2)?

Avr is Yamaha rx-v481
Tv is Phillips 50pus6753/12
What do you mean check the video signals on the avr
The h96 is running libreelec not sure if that would make a difference with anything

Newer AVRs can show the video signal details, like 2160p, 4:4:4, 10 bit.
Yes it makes difference, because LE and CE use different default settings.
I bet if you connect your N2 directly to the tv it will work.
You can try to limit the colour depth to 8 bit and/or subsampling to 4:2:2 in Settings/System/CoreELEC

Some AVRs don’t play well with 4:4:4 chroma signal. Start by turning on the force 4:2:2 mode. Forcing 8-bits shouldn’t be needed, and it can introduce color banding in 10-bit/HDR content.

Hi Everyone, new here, but certainly not new to CE and Kodi. A question about ATMOS passthrough on N2. Bought mine and installed latest nightly… everything works great, except that ATMOS is always seen as TrueHD by my Yamaha 3050 AVR. DTS:X passes fine. Any ideas? Thanks.

It worked when hooked up straight to the tv but was very jerky playback
In the coreelec system setting the only options I have are tone map hdr/sdr nothing about forcing 4.2.2 or have I got the wrong end of the stick

Are you running 9.0.3 or nightly? The options are only available in the nightly release as they was recently added.

No I’m not but I will be in the morning