Odroid N2 test builds

4k not visible in my config: I have a config Odroid N2 - Yamaha AVR (RX-A1030 4k compatible) - LG UH7707 4k TV. I have whitelisted all 4k modes in Kodi settings announced by the TV, but 4k does not go trough, the TV looses signal while playing (all other lower res. works perfectly). In case i connect Odroid directly to TV, everything goes OK in 4k. Anybody can assume, my AVR is not compatible.
BUT: i have a Beelink Ultimate GT1 (S912) as well, and with that, the same signal chain works perfectly. (HDR doesn go through, as the AVR is not compatible, but 4k@60 is working). This means something differs with HDMI signaling.
Unfortunately i have to interconnect my AVR, otherwise i can not decode DTS-MA/TrueHD sound. I have tested the issue with 9.0.3 stable, and with recent nightly builds. Any idea what to tweak?

Update to latest nightly and limit colour depth and/or subsampling in Settings/System/CoreELEC

1 Like

Thanks a lot. Subsampling limit to 4:2:2 setting has helped.

1 Like

i tried a nightly today on a Philips 1080p Panel
colors seems to washed out and the brightness of the picture changes

tried to 8bit and 4.2.2
on on
off off
on off
off on
off off

and rebooted every time
any chance to get a 4 k running?

greetings

You can’t get HDR on a non-HDR display.
You can try enabling the HDR to SDR toggle. It should improve things, but it won’t make it look great.
Leave the 8-bit and 422 toggles on off, unless you need it to get a signal (unlikely).

ok, conclusion , there is no way to get a 4k picture on a 1080p TV like a 1080p picture on a 720p screen?

Huh? Yes you can play 4K content at any resolution.

but not in usual 1080p quality i mean?
because you wrote

It should improve things, but it won’t make it look great.

You can watch HDR content on a SDR display, but it will not look right.
It has nothing to do with resolution.

ok sorry , missunderstood - then i meant no way to bring 4k downscaled to 1080p in right colors and brightnes-> yes?

• Again, resolution isn’t the issue.
  • You can’t display HDR content on a SDR display. This is the point of HDR, it has a completely different PQ and color gamut.
  • The N2 is capable of tone mapping HDR to SDR, so that it looks better on a SDR display.
    But to make it look “correct”, you need a custom tone-map, which is impossible to make without specialized equipment. (our kernel doesn’t support custom tone-maps either, so this point is moot).

ok, sorry,
not picking so deep-we missunderstood booth
the only thing i want to know and what i asked and you answered is ;

• You can’t display HDR content on a SDR display. This is the point of HDR, it has a completely different PQ and color gamut.

thats all i wanted to know

But you can watch any 4k SDR video on a 1080p tv without any colour degradation.

watching movies (1080i/p and 4k) leads to freezes/crashes. i flashed coreelec from 11. august and watching movies now works again without problems. seems like there is some bug.

were you able to test that recently? Thanks!!

Not yet, I didn’t forgot it but there was no time and now vacation is starting…

Hi… out of curiosity, what do you think the performance of zidoo z9s native player compare to N2 with CE? Any obvious PQ and SQ btw those two? Thanks

1 Like

I’m very curious about this :thinking:

Hi, I have been using zidoo z9s before N2, which is now my main player and I am very pleased with it. In the area of PQ I cannot really tell a difference, but in SQ I think that N2 is more clear and the dialogs are more clear and loud. I cannot tell why since both zidoo and N2 are feeding my Marantz amp and bitstreaming. The zidoo player has a very basic HomeTheather app, this app is really terrible.
The are more bugs and more annoyances with zidoo so I have ditched it in favour of N2.

Although this is way off topic, but Zidoo has ZDMC, which is their custom version of Kodi. It should be a good player.