Reboot to CoreELEC APK

@vpeter the problem is that with some USB storage devices (sticks,ssd,hdd) ,the “normal” Android reboot is not working ,but it’s completely random and is probably an USB devices initialization issue ,similar to what i saw with RPi4 and USB boot in the past .
Unfortunately this is something that can’t be fixed by CE.

Then this app should be modified to have 2 options:

1. reboot
  2. allow booting CE from this device

and commands run are:

1. shell:reboot
  2. shell:reboot update

Something for jamal2367 to think of.

Yeah,he may add that option too ,or if someone use the Adaptive HDR (which probably most users should ,considering that having SDR-> HDR on static images isn’t a good idea ,especially with OLEDs),then he/she could use the shutdown script that i’m using and forget about it,no more Always HDR in ATV .

• reboot
    Does only perform a reboot. CE does setup the environment to boot next time to CE again when before the option “Reboot to NAND/eMMC” was used
  • reboot update
    This is to reset the environment and to call boot init script aml_autoscript on CE media. This is same like press and hold the reset button on the device. This option should only be used once when environment may is virgin or got reset before by a Android update.

@jamal2367 thank you for this platform specific app!

The name is inspired from the original, old tool. “Reboot to LibreELEC” I guess. So maybe another title can avoid some confusion in future. Like “Setup device for CoreELEC” or something similar.
Or multiple options like “Reboot to CoreELEC” what does really only call reboot and a “Setup CoreELEC” option what does use reboot update.

I did not test the app yet but I am not sure id USB debugging must be enabled by user before?
You only run adb reboot update. Maybe a check if it will work before about permissions could be added? On some devices it’s not possible to use this command as it require sudo.

2 Likes

Hi,

@vpeter
I will incorporate your suggested changes in the next version.
There will then be 2 buttons.

One for the first boot in CoreELEC and one button for the normal boot.

There will be an explanation for each button so that the user knows what to do.

@Portisch
It is currently done in such a way that USB debugging must first be activated in the developer options. If this is not the case, the app terminates with the message that USB debugging should be activated first.

No sudo is required for the app as a local adb shell is executed. Or are there devices that explicitly need sudo anyway.

The app was originally intended for the Homatics Box.

Does Reboot to LibreELEC also needs to enable USB debugging first? I don’t remeber doing this but it was long time ago when I use it.

No, the Reboot to LibreELEC app does not require USB debugging, but it no longer works either. At least on the Homatics with Android TV 11.

My app has a completely different structure and contains much more and another code than the Reboot to LibreELEC.

New Update is out!

Changelog for Version 2.0:

• Added two buttons. (for first restart to CoreELEC and for normal restart to CoreELEC)
  • Fix some bugs.
  • Improve and cleanup code.
  • Remove unused library.

Downloader App Code:

Release can be found here:

5 Likes

What I just have seen today: isn’t there a difference between enabled adb support and USB support?

This updated app works fine as need.
Also help for the users to bypass the first toothpick method.
I can use the long press off button to reboot in the homatics boxes , but maybe, in other situation, where the long press not work, it will help.
And well designed :+1:
Thanks

1 Like

Well, in newest Firestick, and in some android box thats same. Earlier was the network debugging mode…

So under Android TV there is only USB debugging what is needed for this.
There is no ADB debugging, it’s calling here network debugging.
It looks like you are running the FireTV OS.
The Fire TV devices should be omitted here anyway as they cannot use CoreELEC, so this app is unnecessary for these devices.

I don’t know how the app works for other devices that can use CoreELEC.
As I said, I can only provide support for the Homatics Box R 4K Plus.

That’s true :smiley:, no CE on such device. Except it have a AML SoC? No, just kidding.

Is it somehow possible to develop a similar method from Coreelec to AndroidTV

:disappointed:
It’s already there for years…
Reboot to internal…

2 Likes

I built an addon a long time ago.
Just install this zip.
Run the addon every time you want to boot into Android.

reboottoandroidtv_eng.zip (19.8 KB)

New Update is out!

Changelog for Version 3.0:

• Added explanation for the buttons.
  • Make the app even smaller. (49.1 KB)
  • UI adjustments.
  • Remove unused material library
  • Fix issues with launcher icon and banner

Downloader App Code:

5 Likes

New Update is out!

Changelog for Version 4.0:

• Fixed incorrect local IP text.
  • Update dependencies.

Downloader App Code:

6 Likes

Looks nice, maybe it would be possible to add a shutdown button? :slight_smile:
I don’t boot to android often, but I think there is no easy way to completely shutdown from android, using Homatics Box R 4K Plus Dune version.

I cannot get your 4.0 version to work on Ugoos AM6b+ with Android 9 (FW v.0.5.4), although USB debugging is ON.
Is there a (maybe older?) version that works?