The Future: Odroid N2

have you tested HDR10+ too?

Nope, my TV doesn’t support HDR10+.

Edit: Dolby Vision doesn’t work. Looks like Kodi doesn’t support it, although the hardware may be DV-capable, it’ll require a player that can also properly support it. And since DV is a proprietary format, we may never see one.

Yes emmc is super fast.

Would all S922X android boxes support dolby vision if kodi adds support or would a patent licence be needed to enable that functionality by the box vendor?

To be completely honest, I don’t know what is required exactly to get DV to work.
But to add to that, I’m not aware of any other media player that is capable of playing DV, even on the PC.

at least 1 of the S905X2 boxes has an option in android settings to enable Dolbyvision, not sure whether that works via stock media player or only for 3rd party applications like netflix, amazon prime video etc.

One doubt, I hope no one is offended, the kernel you are currently doing in the N2. Do you think the future will work on generic devices with s905x2 and s922x? I only ask it out of curiosity.

Kernel has support for g12a (S905X2), g12b (S922X) and gxl (S905X). Afl1 also posted gxbb (S905)
So it might work but it is currently not a priority. We only have N2s

As far as I know the only players able of playback DV encoded UHD disk copy from a network server are OPPO UDP-203 and UDP-205 players. But they run a closed source firmware for Mediatek CPU. We have to wait.

I don’t think Kodi supports DV. There is also no software decoding afaik for DV. That being said Amlogic can decode DV in hardware, not sure if that requires HDCP or other DRM stuff.

Wait, if I have understood correctly the current amlogic kernel (I think 4.9), can it work on GXBB (s905) and GXL (S905x) devices in the future?

That’s the plan. Still a lot of work to do.

From what I understand the new 4.9 kernel is still a bit of a hack affair which isn’t mainline enough to move onto the next Kodi ? Is that correct.

Shoog

I’m hearing about that amcodec is going to be removed for almost a year now. My last information was from Sam (osmc) he said it is not decided yet. It will happen eventually but maybe not in Kodi 19. Even if it is then we will make it work again. If mainline is working at the same level as the Amlogic kernel we will switch. We can also backport the drm work to kernel 4.9 if we don’t want to patch Kodi. Don’t worry about it we will make it work when we get there.

:fireworks:

This is so great to hear from the team. I heard about this device a few weeks back and hardware wise it perfectly covers all the shortcomings of the S905X box I have been using for years. I didn’t see this thread at the time so I had no intention of buying since CE is pretty much a necessity for me. Now I have no hesitation to purchase when it comes out, even if I have to wait a while for you guys to work your magic.

I know the price difference is minimal, but are you guys working with 2gb or 4gb? Which one do you suggest CE users pick up?

I think that most/all of us have the 4GB version, but memory usage is similar to what you see in current CoreELEC versions, so I think that 2GB will work just as well.

Does the Odroid N2 support sleep/suspend mode? I have three different boxes and only my WeTek Play 2 fully supports this feature.

Also, since it doesn’t come with a remote (but it does come with an IR receiver) how is it able to be turned on/woken up with a 3rd party remote? Sorry if these were already discussed. I’m very interested in possibly buying one of these new boards.

It does. You can wake it up with CEC (Just Turn TV on), IR and WakeOnLAN.

And HK developer made a little driver to change wakeup ir code. I think NEC is required.

Ok here are some updates. We managed to fix most of the hw decoding issues and playback is now as smooth as we know it from 3.14 gxm,gxl and gxbb devices. Just some little things remaining but this is already alpha/beta quality and can be used to watch stuff. Audio is also mostly fixed. Some DD+ samples make some trouble.

I was able to do some power consumption tests today with my good power meter:

Netflix 1080p SW decoding through widevine 4.2W top, temperature stays low playback is smooth.

1080p HEVC video SW decoding 4.1W top, low stable temp and smooth playback.

Same video with HW decoding 2.7W, low stable temp and smooth playback.

4K 60Hz HDR HEVC video with HW decoding 3.5W, low temp and smooth playback. SW decoding for this video was too much to play smooth.

N2 off 0.7W