The Future: Odroid N2

Well, I guess it is because you can make that server from CE device itself, through TVHeadend… With full package like sharing same transponder with multiple clients etc.

I know, that there are SAT>IP option is in TVH also, but as all my clients using Kodi and I have only Terestrial, its intuitive use CE TVH server+clients for it. But anyone with lets say VLC could use IP streams nativelly also…

Honestly, I was thinking about that device but the power draw of 10-13W even in standby is hitting me hard. These are numbers from the internet, any corrections are welcome.

Right, this is the current consumption of the SAT>IP server. But then you do not need anymore buying a DVB receiver hardware or a device what is capable to handle a DVB receiver. You also can use the Amazon Firestick when you want. Every client what is able to run Kodi can be used. And I think the money you save with a cheaper hardware can be invested in power consumption.
Also bigger houses do use normaly a multi switch what also do have current consumtion.
This would be replaced by the SAT>IP server as it can handle quattro/quad LNB direct.

(Back to topic Portisch!)

I believe that any LNB based tuner is going to come out as having the same energy usage - since the main power draw is simply used in powering the LNB itself. You can if you want turn a SAT > IP tuner off to save energy when not in use but if you are like me Ieave my Kodi box on all of the time so that it can do its various jobs in down time.

Shoog

I have this: https://shop.sundtek.de/Digital-TV-Tuner-USB/Sundtek-SkyTV-Ultimate-8-2018-DVB-S-S2-S2X.html
And it is working without external power supply on my Odroid C2 server. When it’s tuned in it uses 1.5W iirc. Otherwise it goes into standby and doesn’t use any noticeable power.

1 Like

N2 will not be able to use Khadas VTV or Mecool tuners as there is no exposed ts interface, USB tuners is only way if you want/need live TV.

2 Likes

@Ray I your tests, the audio passthrough works? AAC, DTS etc

It was mostly me and afl1 who worked on passthrough.
I don’t have a way of testing AAC, but DTS, Dolby and all of the advanced HD formats are working.
I believe there’s still a problem with getting multichannel LPCM working.

2 Likes

Yeah no fancy audio stuff for me. Don’t got an AVR or soundbar

1 Like

For the price of that usb dvb-s2x tuner you can get a DVB-S2X linux satellite box: https://www.zgemma.co.uk/single-sat-tuner/zgemmah9s

Wouldn’t you need one of those for each tv though? And no centralized recording? Apples and oranges.

All you need is one central TVheadend server running on the zgemma, everything else is a TVheadend client which gets its signal from the zgemma TVheadend server.
Still think that the SAT > IP is a better option.

Shoog

1 Like

It’s not possible to run tvheadend on an Enigma2 Receiver, so please Forget this device.

Well we as Team CoreELEC are against Piracy. And yeah we use Netflix and I don’t think anyone can be cheap about this. Still I don’t want to constrain anyone. I warn you to spread this around here. We are talking about illegal activity almost everywhere on this planet! We do not tolerate it here because Kodi is more than illegal stuff.

2 Likes

Is there not an Enigma2 PVR addon that will do a similar job?
I don’t have an E2 device, just asking because of a post I read elsewhere that used this and Kodi to share the tuner on the LAN.

Now available for pre-order.
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-n2-with-4gbyte-ram/
:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Ordered!!

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Don’t forget the 2gb version is also available.

https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-n2-with-2gbyte-ram

It has also started to appear on some reseller websites.

1 Like

Just checked, using paypal Odroid will ship to Ireland for $107.00.
Paypal tends to gouge on money exchanges so that will probably come in at €107.00, and then there might be customs.

Shoog

So does it appear likely that this thing will be able to play 4K widevine-DRMed content smoothly? The N2 apparently has siginificant crypto acceleration baked-in, so will that come into play?

- Phil