3D Frame Packed (MVC) output with CoreELEC?

“A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…”

Edit: Most of the MVC software side has been merged into xbmc mainline. One of the lead developers of the software code, popcornmix, seems to be fairly active on github, so they might be able to help.

A quick search of their github reveals that there are 139 commits related to 3D support. Looking through the commits seems to indicate a number of them were merged into Kodi at some point. So it may be a matter of enabling the Amlogic code and picking through these commits to add relevant settings to CoreELEC.

Hi @Portisch found these might just be what we looking for?

So anyone who is owner of a Vero device can make a test picture for me?
It’s need to connect to a 2D screen, not 3D!

Copy this EDID to your Vero device:
Samsung_3D_EDID.bin (256 Bytes)

Then run in a SSH connection:

echo load /<path_to_file>/Samsung_3D_EDID.bin /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/edid
systemctl restart kodi

The other option is to disable 3D on the TV, not sure if this will work.

Then play the sample DTS Paint Symphony (DTS-HD MA 7.1).3D.MVC.mkv from here. Pause at second 4 (where the music stand is visible) and you should see a top/bottom picture. Make a foto of the screen and post it, thx.

1 Like

Anyone has a Vero 4k ?

I have. I can post it a little later.

systemctl restart mediacenter - correct command to restart

The TV is not 3D-LG. There is also another LG 3D and Samsung 3D for testing. If it is important that hardware 3D is enabled in the menu, after playing or stopping, you need to re-enable it in the 3D settings. At 4 seconds there is an incomplete frame, the music stand is not visible. Attaching photo.

That is strange as in non 3d playback there is the music stand. So bottom half of the picture is missing.
It looks same as I get at testing results:

But in 2d it looks like this:

Must it not look like this?

Is the music stand visible in 3D maybe?

In 3D tv visible

Ah, ok. Then I will make a test build next.

3 Likes

So here a “test” image just to see if I am at the correct path. I can’t test it by myself as there is no 3D TV in the house.

It only will support yet MKV, so no ISO/SSIF as it’s not implemented yet.
Please test a bit and compare to a Vero device if possible.
CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-21.1-Omega_devel_20240530105317.tar

2 Likes

Just to say it clear as there are some rumors are floating around:
CE tried to work 3D out last 2020/07. There was no big interests and the changes did destabilize the kernel and kodi. So we dropped the changes and did put it on hold. We did not waste any thought on 3D the last 4 years - as the know factor is, it’s EOL. It’s not that we are already working the last years to get it working, sure not!

So this will be a new, last start to maybe implement the feature. We will see…

1 Like

Tested on lg c6 beelink gs king x, with settings-same as movies, it engages hardware stereotypic but does not trigger 3D

Tested on AM6B Plus. Hardware 3D is not recognized by the TV, I checked it in the “over/under” mode - then the TV switches to 3D mode when selecting Kodi in the video settings. The file DTS Paint Symphony (DTS-HD MA 7.1).3D.MVC.mkv when selecting “over/under” at the beginning of playback goes into 3D, the TV recognizes 3D, the music stand is visible at 4 seconds. Not Frame Packing mode.

Hardware:

Over/under:

kodi.log:

Is this an improvement from before?

I don’t know how to solve it without a 3D capable TV.
So it might not get implemented. We are not a commercial project so we just can’t buy test equipment.

Following this thread with excitement as well - one of the EOL 3D users here too :slight_smile:

@Portisch don’t worry too much it’s a side project after all so no rush, we will all help you & test with our equipment for you to create the best media platform ever ,together we can do it :muscle:

Another test, MKV only. After each playback it’s recommend to reboot as the GUI resolution is not reset correctly:
CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-21.1-Omega_devel_20240531120144.tar

2 Likes

Thanks @Portisch ,Working great here on gs king x with over/under mode, use to get crashes when seeking / skipping chapters on previous build but not on this. Is iso / m2ts next?