9.2.4.2 Discussion

Is it normal that CE boot takes almost 80 seconds (being installed to eMMC)?

How long does it take you too boot from poweroff?

Sounds about right to me. I boot from an internal SSD in my box, which does take around this time.

There will be various factors that could affect boot tie from both hardware specs and software configs.

If you write a fresh install to sd card/flash drive, how long does it take then?

80 seconds ? That seems way too high to me.

Here - 2 * OdroidN2 with eMMC - both take about 10 seconds from cold boot to Kodi profile login…

"Is it normal that CE boot takes almost 80 seconds (being installed to eMMC)?

How long does it take you too boot from poweroff?"

My N2 boots from eMMC to Home Screen in 15 seconds. From uSD card it takes 20 seconds…

From eMMC, about 15 seconds on a TX5 (S905X3), and about 20 from MicroSD.

Hey, thanks for posting results! I’ve just checked and I’m able to boot in 24 seconds from uSD. Something is not right with my eMMC installation then. I’d like to investigate further because the box requires couple of tweaks to make it fully working (remote, VFD, wake up) so I’d much rather fix the existing installation than start over.

Edit: Okay I think I found a culprit: iptables.service takes 16 seconds to start on boot

$ systemd-analyze critical-chain
The time when unit became active or started is printed after the "@" character.
The time the unit took to start is printed after the "+" character.

kodi.target @19.801s
└─kodi-aml-hdmimonitor.service @19.799s
  └─kodi.service @19.081s +711ms
    └─smp-affinity.service @18.963s +113ms
      └─graphical.target @18.957s
        └─multi-user.target @18.201s
          └─avahi-daemon.service @18.200s
            └─network.target @18.193s
              └─iptables.service @1.869s +16.247s
                └─basic.target @1.757s
                  └─sockets.target @1.757s
                    └─lircd.socket @1.757s
                      └─sysinit.target @1.755s
                        └─systemd-udevd.service @1.716s +38ms
                          └─add-entropy.service @626ms +259ms
                            └─systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service @595ms +25ms
                              └─systemd-journal-flush.service @558ms +33ms
                                └─systemd-journald.service @422ms +133ms
                                  └─machine-id.service @362ms +56ms
                                    └─systemd-journald.socket @132ms
                                      └─system.slice @125ms
                                        └─-.slice @125ms

Interesting. Because starting/stopping this service over SSH after boot is instantaneous.

Edit 2: Full debug info is here http://ix.io/2yGa

if i deactivate the function “CEC Wake-UP” it is unfortunately not saved. i go back one page and look again. the function is activated again.

Here is a complete debug log:

I would like the Odroid N2+ to be always on and not off when I turn off the tv.

Thanks!

Have you gone to the CEC options in settings/system/input/peripherals and chose “when tv is switched off - ignore”?

1 Like

No. Sorry I had never seen the features there before. Works great! Thanks a lot and sorry for the beginner’s question. Odroid does not switch off anymore! :slight_smile:

Hi,
my device is Vontar X96 S905X 2G/16G
9.2.4.2. kernel 3.14 installed in internal memory - everything works pefectly.
I tried a new installation of the 4.9 kernel from the SD card.
Everything works except for two problems:
1 / IPTV playlists from URL do not work with Simply PVR client or with TVHeadend
2 / movie mkv 1080p when playing from an external USB HDD freezes after a few seconds and after a while KODI restarts. The XVID movie plays normally.
Here is logs
http://ix.io/2zoU
http://ix.io/2zoW

As I have already posted in the past, while I am in CoreElec, I am unable to scan my drives to update my library. If I load Android, I have no problem and all the content is displayed. Ditto when connecting my drives to my Windows PC; Kodi scans as it should. But, as soon as I launch CoreElec, none of the downloaded content is displayed.

I’m guessing this is because in both Android and Windows, the content is stored elsewhere. Indeed, it certainly isn’t in the folders of the movies and TV series on their relevant drives. Therefore, it would seem to me that the best solution would be for all content to be downloaded to the same folder on the drive being used. For example, let’s say I have the movie Avatar in its own folder. The goal would be for all related content to be stored in that same folder so that no matter where the drive is connected (Android, Windows, or CoreElec), it will always be displayed. The problem with this is that I can find no option in Kodi or CoreElec settings to make that happen.

Can it be done and if so, how please?

All of my devices, Coreelec on X96, Android X96, Android Nividia shield, & Plex use the same storage location, a NAS. I have several movies in one folder. I can see no pictures, in the nas folders.

I THINK the media for movies comes from online. I did use tiny media manager to get fanart, that did load it to the folders, but I found it took up too much space. You can use “local media” that will find media in the folders if you have it.

Where do you have your media? If it is on an external drive & you are moving the drive, it could be the source is “moving” ie the drive letter is changing, when you plug it back in.

I assume that before scanning, you are selecting the correct location for the source.

All media is stored on external drives which are connected to my Ugoos AM6 via a USB 3.0 hub. Rather than recognize them by drive letter, Kodi recognizes them by the drive label. For example : TV Series, 2D media, 3D media, Documentaries, 4K media. There is no problem in viewing them in Kodi or CoreElec and the content they have stored in the same folders (which came from my previous Mede8er X6003D player) is also displayed.

If I scan within Android, all content is displayed but if I switch to CoreElec, it disappears. Unfortunately, I cannot scan within CoreElec and I have no idea why not because there’s no problem with the internet connection as it downloads and updates addons as well as new CoreElec releases. It is only the library it won’t work with. And yes, I select the drive I want to update and connect it directly to the AM6, then select update library. The scan window opens and closes instantly.

You can completely clean the library by changing source from movies to none, rescan to empty, then select source movies & try again. That is via CE.

Or, go into the device I use coreftp lite & delete the video.db file. Sorry can’t remember the path

Perhaps you have tried this already

No, I haven’t tried that but the collection is very large and would take 3 or 4 days to scan on a one drive at a time basis. I am loathe to do that because everything works as it should in both Windows and Android.

Ideally, I would like to fix the scanning issue in CoreElec because it literally will not scan anything, not even a new drive with only music on it. If I can’t do that then I believe the best option is to make it so that content downloads to the same folders as that should allow it to be viewed no matter where the drives are connected.

By deleting the db file in CE will not affect android or windows.
How many files do you have?
I have 1500 movies, it takes about 3hrs to scan.

Then, get Tiny media manager, install it on windows, scan, but it will take up a lot of space.

Edit, have you tried to select another provider, ie TMDB or Universal scraper on CE? This will clean the library & scan again.

Just try on one drive to start with.

I will try that then. Thanks for the tips. :slight_smile:

Just one more question prior to rebuilding my database. If I understand correctly, all the content is to be found in the video.db file. If that is correct, would it not make sense to:

1. make a backup of the current video.db file, and then
  2. use an SSH program to transfer a copy of the video.db file on Android (or Windows) to the storage folder in CoreElec?
    After all, in both of those Kodi has successfully scanned all my media files.