Amlogic S928X

Is there are way to easily confirm if an S928X device has the -J enhancement or not? Is this good enough from dmesg

[ 5.337788] <6>[ 5.337788@4] dv capability 7

I don’t have great monitors to test DV but the colours I see look normal. The Aliexpress store I got my X96_X10 from showed it with and without the -J .Android says it is a X96_X10_Pro which is also promising. Not expecting CE support just wanted one for my collection.

That seemed to be the consensus when I was asking before if DV was supported. Didn’t seem to be a way to tell of FEL could work or not though.

Just out of interest would the new MINIX U8K-ULTRA AMLOGIC S928X-J Processor be able to run this dolby vision code ? as these are relased next month or do you think these Minix u22x-j max and Ugoos AM6+ will be the only ones as i am woundering if buying an extra for backup might be needed if these boxes go out of manufacture like the Mini U22x-j Max already is but how long until the Ugoos go the same way.

cheers

The S928X is a paperweight at this point. However, I would not personally stock up on the Ugoos. I think that companies will either pressure Amlogic to release the necessary driver for CoreElec to support the S928X or other companies will start producing S922X-J devices. This is a huge cash cow for Amlogic/Ugoos and other manufacturers will want a cut. FEL support will become as common as the USB.

1 Like

Any plans in the near future to have CoreELEC installed/working on Ugoos AM8 Pro 8K AMLogic S928X-J ?

Or is Dolby Vision only compatible with specific CPU chipset like S922X-J ?

• Ugoos AM6b+
  • Ugoos AM6+

Currently it’s the second you said. It only works on that hardware.

As for the future, I’m in no position to tell.

1 Like
1 Like

Firmware for newer arm mali gpu is merged to kernel 6.10. https://www.phoronix.com/review/linux-610-features

1 Like

Can someone comment what this actually means in practice? Does this avoid the problem of not having the libMali.so?

I don’t think this will make any difference at this stage as even the newest “no” builds are using the 5.15 kernel.

https://wiki.coreelec.org/coreelec:ce_dev_cycle

Ridiculous its taking amlogic this long to release the driver,jst glad I didn’t jump the gun a few months ago and buy one or I’d sitting with a paper weight

1 Like

Guys Ugoos is absolutely useless. I’ve been unable to get even a reply from them. The emails for the CTO of Amlogic are mike@amlogic.com, and mike.yip@amlogic.com. I’ve emailed him and I urge everybody concerned with the Ugoos AM8 to do the same and hopefully we can get some action!

3 Likes

What issue do you have with Ugoos?

sent mail asking to supply libMail.so

1 Like

2 Likes

As far as I know the issue is about license. Last time a CoreELEC supporting vendor did contact Amlogic about it, it was there is no SBC manufacturer yet using this type of SOC. So the Linux license to ARM isn’t paid and therefore there is no Linux SDK available yet. Only Android for now…

And Android libMali.so isn’t compatible with Linux as it uses ION video driver.

Who paid it for previous versions of AMLogic chips so they could work with coreelec?

It would be issue base coreelec on linux kernel 6.10 with opensource supporting of mali ?

That’s kind of called Libreelec.

:rofl:
Sure, then you have only some buggy hardware decoder and most of them are working only in software anyway. LE did choose this path years ago because of the Panfrost driver. But the development of this driver is stopped so there will be never a usable implementation when nobody invest into it. And we talk here about millions $$$.

1 Like