Amlogic S928X

Minix U8K-ULTRA will also be using this SoC - hopefully available in Sep 2024.

Tx for the info @freedomxj

1 Like

Try ask on kernel 5.15. There was no information about version of kernel.

I have an X96X10 Pro sitting idle here if you need one.

Is that also the return of the Minix A2 Lite remote? They are awesome. I’m using them on all my Kodi boxes from LibreElec NUCs to CoreElec Ugoos AM6+. They work with no config required and have the ‘tab’ key for music navigation. They’ve not made any for ages. Why are they used on the new Minix 928 in that show. Must be back.

x96x10 pro booted via usb with aurora 5x file

1 Like

what about for DV & WIFI & Ethernet & BT ?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Ugoos AM8 installation

Which nightly did you use? Mine just hangs until the console error message starts

DV isn’t work. WIFI and Ethenet worked

I’ve done some more testing on the July 14th CE21 nightly after a hard reset. My observations:

1. Outputting multi channel audio (PCM) does not work. If the speaker setup in the audio menu is 2.0, no issues but CE outputs only 2 channels as expected. Setting it to 5.1 or 7.1 results in very quiet sound which is played back really slowed down.

2. AV1 encodes seem to be detected as interlaced. I checked two of my own encodes which were 720p and 1080p, and the player display showed 1280x720i and 1920x1080i respectively.

3. The “HBO logo” right at the beginning of my encoded AV1 video hung video playback for about a minute or so. I could hear the audio continue in the background and then video playback continued all of a sudden. Not sure if the CE team can do anything about it since it was hardware decoded, but it seemed to be consistent and happened with all the episodes of the season I checked. The combined bitrate should not be insanely high as it was a 720p video with 5.1-ch audio.

I have a debug log where case 1 and 3 were observed (not up to the point where video playback resumed though), if it’s needed.

Multi-PCM is maybe not supported at all on S5.
Passthrough of TrueHD should be possible but needs to be fixed… When some time is left…

2 Likes

Ouch… multichannel audio can easily be a dealbreaker for many. There are still BDs with 5.1-track LPCM audio, mostly concert videos though. If THD passthrough can be fixed, fortunately that’s one workaround.

(EDIT: also means that any common audio format like AAC, Opus or FLAC is out of the question if the chip is not capable.)

Sir, will CE support the new model of Ugoos SK1 built-in S928X-K? I hope supported.

Thanks for the link I didn’t notice posts saying there are problems booting with the SD-CARD reader. Placing the SD card in a USB reader I can boot my x96x10 pro too

CoreELEC (official): 21.1-Omega_nightly_20240717 (Amlogic-ne.aarch64)
      Machine model: Tencent Aurora Box 5X
     CoreELEC dt-id: s5_s928x_tencent_aurora_5x
      Amlogic dt-id: s5_s928x_ax201-v2
      Linux version: 5.4.210 (docker@c6840f9c8a48) #1 Wed Jul 17 03:55:58 IDT 2024
      Kodi compiled: 2024-07-17 01:22:46 +0000

I usually use a Nvidia shield remote with my Ugoos AM8 Pro (works perfectly). Does anybody have a remote.conf file for the Nvidia shield remote?

2 Likes

The ugoos sk1 which has the same soc seems to have the 5.4.210 kernel. Not sure if that’s any indication for the minix box

It is supported, the SK1 is a clone of the Tencent Aurora 5X.

2 Likes

What is the likelihood of S928X boxes being as adept as S922XJ boxes in the future (FEL support, audio syncing, etc)? If CoreELEC can achieve full DoVi support, is it likely to still have problems with 25fps content? I see that it benchmarks better, but does that translate to significant real-world Kodi performance? I’m trying to decide if I should go ahead and buy an AM6B Plus now or wait a few months for the better hardware.

My advice is don’t buy an S928X expecting DoVi FEL support to be added later. Buy based on what the SOC has to offer now.

S928X - 1xA76+4xA55 cores
S922X - 4xA73+2xA53 cores

The S928X has better single core performance, and the s922x better multicore performance. None of this really matters for the video playback with hardware decoding. The S928X has support for AV1 and 8K output. The S928X also has a newer GPU, but I don’t know how that translates to any CE improvement.

4 Likes