Best device for Coreelec in 2022/2023

TOX3 is cheap and has been recommended by a few people.

Is this true ?
As all Samsung, my Samsung does not support Dolby vision.

I would that box compare in terms of performance to A311d2 box ?

I believe it is tested here : EDID Override - Injecting a Dolby VSVDB Block - #429 by OCEFDA but still not integrated in the official CE.

1 Like

The A311D2 is about 10-15% faster in single core performance, and 20-25% faster in multi-core performance, over the S922X. They both use A73 big cores, there is a slight boost in the newer T7 SOC, maybe in part due to improved SOC memory management. Comparison

The S922X, as well as all the NG SOCs, have the advantage of cpmā€™s recent work. Time will tell how this is implemented into official CE builds, and whether those features make it to kernel 5.4 devices.

How long will the AM6B+ be supported? Itā€™s the only widely available device that supports FEL, and newer devices currently seem unlikely to support it.
Thinking of getting a 2nd device, but want to make sure Iā€™m not committing to something that wonā€™t have a 22 or 23 version available.

I assume the hope would be that it transitions to NO from NG when all the bits and bobs are working and when the relevant files for DV are sorted out.

Iā€™m not sure the dovi module is available for newer kernel versionsā€¦

Yeah but for now CE 21 is great, does pretty much everything so I wouldnā€™t worry about subsequent versions.

Should we start a new thread for this topic? Itā€™s mid 2024 and this threadā€™s heading date is long past.

We could even distinguish best premium vs best cheapest.

Sure
Not a bad idea
Especially with Dolby Vision vs Non Dolby Vision Support choices out there now.

Or try to find OP ,so can edit title to include/2024/2025.

Thereā€™s usually a new version every year, so I do want to make sure Iā€™m somewhat future proof.

The s922x is from 2017, I wouldnā€™t buy it expecting a long development future. The AM6+ runs on CE-NO which will be supported for at least a few years.

But thereā€™s only a very slim chance that a CE-NO compatible Dolby Vision module for the s922x will materialize.

The main reason to buy one is for what it offers now.

1 Like

The s922x is supported in the new 5.15, its has a lot of room for support.

1 Like

Good morning. Just became aware of this project and am very interested in Ugoos AM6B to replace my Shield Pro 2019 in order to gain playback of the FEL layer.

Iā€™m trying to read through as much as I can, but there is quite a history here, and Iā€™m having a difficult time figuring out what is current info, since it seems dev is pretty rapid on this device.

As it stands now it seems like I will be gaining FEL support, but losing TV-LED DV if I make the switch. Is that still accurate? My TV is an LG 77CX if that makes a difference. Are there any other caveats I should be aware of?

No you want loose anything, tv led dv works

I have an older C8 and TV led works fine.

Awesome, thanks! I had read some months old stuff about it not working so I was a bit concerned.

1 Like

I really am confusedā€¦ a lotā€¦

I have read the wonderful news of Coreelec supporting profile 7 dolby vision filesā€¦

what is the fastest device that supports Coreelec Dolby Vision, Audio Passthrough and has gigabit Ethernetā€¦
All my library is on a NAS (windows machine using NFS)
(if it has 64gb internal storage even better)

I wont use it for Android at allā€¦ only Coreelecā€¦

When using a skin like Aeon is fast enough in browsing moviesā€¦ i really have a large movie libraryā€¦
Will the browsing be fast like using a Nuc i3 with libreelec?

(last year i bought a NVIDIA shiled ā€¦ but i was really dissapointed with its ability to playback DV files in Kodiā€¦- so now i own an Apple TV 4K with Infuseā€¦ playback is great but it does not support Profile 7 DV files and i really love the Kodiā€™s ability to customize libraries)

thank you for your timeā€¦
Nicolas

You want the Ugoos AM6b+ running the latest nightly. Itā€™s the only device that supports P7 FEL.

in specs i see that ugoos am6b+ has the s922x while the x4q has the s905x4ā€¦

s922x is faster than s905x4 it seems

The internal emcc is 32gb.
is it expandable with usb or sd card? (will the read/write speed be equivalent to internal emcc?)

Since i dont have much experience with amlogic devices, while browsing a movie library is their speed close to a nuc i3 with libreelec?

thank you for your time