CE-NG Dolby Vision (+FEL) for DV-licensed SOCs (s905x2, s922x/z, s905x4)

Over at kodi forums, hdmkv ordered his Kinhank G1 for $62 shipped!
really hope he gets one that is gig ethernet and their was a pcb rev.
Imagine an all rounder that can do everything for around $62!
if it does, he’ll surely place it near the top of recommended. Can see demand multiply for Kinhank G1. would rpices increase? would Kinhank put more effort into this? going to try to see if I can get in touch with Kinhank team and ask them about gig support and what is the state of it.

2 Likes

Start thinking a bit!!!

Your device have a PCIe Wifi chip. It might never work on Amlogic-ng!
Use Amlogic-ne!

2 Likes

well I just bought the Homatics Box R 4K Plus today for 70 euros locally and will get it later today, thinking of trying it out for fun and compare it to my AM6B+ that I got like last week lol, only thing that is interesting is I get built in chromecast and newer Android TV version as I use some Android TV apps, but I like the power/performance of the AM6B+ and be able to dual boot to emmc, will try it out from USB3 drive and see, hopefully I can move storage to emmc to get little boost.

1 Like

Following to see what your impressions are about the two different boxes

anyone interested you can grab the Kinhank-G1 for $57.95 (pre tax) for new users
just create a new account, you’ll have to have a different debit/credit card I believe. previous price without new user discount is $59.95

12 hours remaining on the offer, but they have offers on like every month anyway

I found an official facebook group KinHanK Groups – After Sales Service & Feedback, which seems to be very active with admin

anyone got a facebook account and ask about the G1?

I didn’t realize Kinhank was one of those companies that is illegally selling boxes preloaded with EmuELEC (sister project to CE) without the developers consent.

Support open source projects like CoreELEC and EmuELEC, pay a little more for a different brand. Don’t reward companies like this.

4 Likes

What’s HO400?

HS400/HS200 refers to the eMMC speed. HS = high-speed. 400MB/s vs 200MB/s per lane.

I’m not sure HS400 is rare (maybe even more common than HS200 at this point). I’ve seen HS400 on Amlogic devices going back to at least 2016. I think CE is defaulting to HS200 in the DTBs for compatibility reasons, but HS400 can be enabled from the OS.

is it possible to have some option within Android TV to boot into CoreElec, I want to be able to switch between Android TV and CoreElec easily without messing about holding reset buttons etc. the hope would be FEL Support within Android TV but seems a bit off for now but at least FEL is possible at the moment.

1 Like

Thanks!
How do I check if it’s supported and turn it on?

Looks like tomorrow we’ll get support for -ng branch for all the devices.

1 Like

I am not to familiar with the difference branches of the images but… What is the difference between Amlogic-NG and NE? Is it nightly builds only?

I am mostly using the stable version so I havent really come in contact with NG or NE before

It’s on the hardware page. I’m not sure how you check to see if it’s supported from CE. The android DTB would list the supported modes under capabilities, but this requires root

example:
cat /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/emmc@ffe07000/emmc/caps2
MMC_CAP2_HS200MMC_CAP2_HS400

The CE DTB may not show all the capabilities.

You could pull the android dtb, convert it to dts and check that way too. There’s probably a much easier way.

1 Like

Thanks. Any adverse effects to turning it on if it’s not supported?

Just ran into another issue. Tried playing a movie in HDR 10. My stats for nerds on my Vizio TV did not show HDR 10, only 4K. This is playing on my Dune homatics box.

When I played the same video on the Ugoos AM6+, My TV stands for nerds showed HDR 10.

Anyone else have this issue?

I don’t know, I imagine it could lead to data transfer fails and data corruption if there wasn’t some software protection somewhere. The CE team would know better than me.

I see this as just a toy to… um, toy with :). If it (or some h/w revision of it) turns out to be a contender for $60-ish, nice! But, not expecting any S905X4 box to dethrone AM6B+ for being the current king for local media playback.

1 Like

would that make the devices more responsive or what improvements will it get? running Homatics Box R 4K+ with ng build through usb but moved stuff to emmc but it’s not anywhere as responsive/fast as AM6B+ and also the G10S Pro remote is not as responsive as with the AM6B+, many times it wont react on key presses, hopefully it gets better otherwise AM6B+ still king, A73 cores really is much more powerful than A55 ones.

edit: back to AM6B+ for now, much better experience. :slight_smile:

1 Like