CoreELEC 19 Matrix Discussion (Kodi RC)

Odroid N2+ seems to be quite popular around here. I use one and it is working well. Can’t say how future proof it is though.

there are cheaper models. If you want to stay with Hardkernel the C4 is nice. Otherwise we have a lot of users using generic boxes.

Is there a bigdifferrnce beteeen the C4 and the N2+?

Speed. I have both and as my daily driver I choose C4. This is because the C4 is enough for CE. N2+ is very powerful and if you need more services in the back you might want that. I chose C4 to have a more power efficient box.

How is the video quality from the C4?

4K HDR etc… live tv deinterlacing…

Same quality like the N2+?

edit: Sorry about the novel.

@tomasz Myself and at least two other CoreELEC developers spent a considerable amount of time(Probably several hundred hours in total) trying to figure out how to make the S912 devices work with the amlogic-ng builds. Keeping in mind here that we are volunteers and this is a hobby in which our time is not paid for.

The 4.9 kernel actually works great with S912 devices, it’s just the graphics support that is missing. Which is unfortunate since it’s useless for a media center without a GUI. Updated parts to make the libhybris hack work are part of the problem.

To the best of my knowledge none of the companies that produced S912 based devices ever released an updated Android firmware using the 4.9 kernel. Which is a problem since the hack depended on files pulled from Android to work. So even if kszaq was available and willing to help with this, there is not much that can be done without the files.

Amlogic doesn’t really care, it’s to small a number of users and it’s of no value in new sales to them to spend time/money on such an issue, especially with a legacy product. (We are also not a customer of theirs, since we don’t produce devices our self. which makes the issue even lower priority to them) Even if they did there is still a licensing issue with the mali blobs.

It’s to bad, since the S912 had the possibility to be a nice SoC, but instead right from the beginning it was turned into a lesson about the problems with binary blobs and IP licensing.

However all is not lost. The CoreELEC 9.2.x series will still work for S912 devices, and will still see maintenance when needed. There will also be other up coming options for S912 devices, they are just not ready yet.

There is also the option of getting a new device, for those that can’t wait and don’t mind buying a new device. Some of the S922X based devices are reasonably priced, and are currently the best option for those looking for a high end device. The S905X3 devices can be very cheap but still do everything you would expect a device running CoreELEC to do. The upcoming S905X4 devices that will introduce AV1 hardware decoding, will be relatively affordable as well. However I would very much suggest waiting before purchasing an S905X4 based device. None of the more reputable manufactures have released an S905X4 device yet, nor will they in the next several months(There is currently an industry wide chip shortage. Even really large companies are having difficulties with supply at the moment). There have also been several examples of fake S905X4 devices, as some less reputable companies try to take advantage of the situation.

2 Likes

I can not speak about live tv. All the rest e.g 4K, HDR is the same. My personal opinion.

Thanks! So you just buy the board and a case? And since I need Wifi a USB adapter as well then.

I never needed a case. All my devices are hidden behind the TV. I don’t recommend wifi. If you can use ethernet. But wifi usb is not expensive. C4 might not be the cheapest solution. Look around here in the forums and choose the best solution. As a hint: Don’t consider BT,wifi, dvb or internal storage as an advantage. Most internal wifi, bt and especially dvb are super buggy and not worth the money. You get better performance with external devices.

3 Likes

Hi guys - quick request. Could you add the module ipvlan to the kernel (CONFIG_IPVLAN)? I need it for docker. I know it’s late before release, but I would really appreciate it!

I am running CE19 nightlies for a while now on my S905X device and it runs really well.
I have noticed a problem with playing Netflix and the “Adjust display refresh rate” setting.
If that setting is off, then Netflix videos play fine at 1080p50 (which my default display mode is)
However if I set the “Adjust display refresh rate” to On start/stop, all my video in my library play correctly switch to 24fps or 60fps when required but Netflix videos (mostly 24fps) just don’t start, the spinner wheel is on with lot of flickering, some broken audio sounds from the video can be heard.

The problem seems to happen only with Netflix on CE19. It was working fine on 9.2.5 with corrects frame-rate switching earlier.
I know it is not a issue with the Netflix addon itself as I have it running on Kodi 19 on my Windows HTPC connected to TV and there the 24fps frame rate switching works currently for Netflix Videos

Please let me know what information needs to captured for debugging this issue.
The S905X box is connected directly to a 1080p TV over HDMI.

iirc for inputstream.adaptive some streams like NF don’t provide framerate information in the manifest. So the media center detects the framerate after a few frames and switches then. Could still be an issue with the addon.

Can you point to some videos that have problems in Netflix addon? You should check your configuration in inputstream adaptive/netflix. Keep in mind that max resolution in 905x is 720p

Yes, in Netflix addon I have limited the stream resolution to 720p. The videos play fine if I set the Adjust display rate to off.
Any episode of Akame Ga Kill is having issue if that setting is set to On start stop.
Once the video plays in 1080p60, while playing i can go to settings and select resolution and select a 24fps resolution and then the playback continues fine on 24fps

Can you just play the video and wait ± 30 seconds in the flickering image? After that it will start.

PS - just to check. This is not a solution for the problem.

Mecool KM8 (s905x) video freezes after a few seconds, I think there is some problem with the audio drivers. When audio passthrough is enabled it works normally. I tried all the output options of PCM, analog, HDMI and it’s the same. The settings are identical to 9.2.6. Any idea what it might be

Double check that you don’t have such option enabled.

Greetings,

I have now switched to the CE 19 Matrix version, it works stable and well, but my WiFi Remote works very fast, so it detects 2-3 times when I press it once.

I want a solution for this. What can I do?

Thanks for your help in advance…

Best regards…

1 Like

I did a little more research and it seems that the same problem occurs with the ng version, probably something about the audio driver. I switched to a s905x NG discussion if anyone can help

Anyone else have issues with RTSP Streams on Matrix 19 development builds (CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-19.0-Matrix_nightly_20210227.tar)?

On my H96 Max Plus (S905X3) the streams runs fluent for like 3 seconds and then stutters.
The steam is a h264 steram (720p). If I disable hardware acceleration for h264 the stream plays fine. Seems like a problem with the decoder.