CoreELEC 19 Matrix Discussion (Kodi RC)

Very, very soon - it is already around the corner!

Yay!
will you support update from 9.2.6 or just clean install?

You can update from 9.2.6 and post logs if you run into trouble. Fresh install is always the safest bet. This way you’re sure there isn’t some obscure configuration messing with your system.
I had the two situations and the devices run smoothly either way.

PS - always backup and safely store said backup before upgrading.

1 Like

It looks like this has been done and it is possible to run the new kernel on boxes with S912.

LibreElec developers are using linux-meson version 5.11 in the Kodi Matrix test editions!

I tested one of the latest versions and it works on S912 runs kernel 5.11 and Kodi 19, of course it still has some shortcomings but it works.

Is there any chance to run CoreElec on this kernel with Kodi 19?

Useful links:

https://libreelec.wiki/hardware/amlogic

No. CE is all about amlogic’s bsp kernel.

It is possible but you would have no benefits. The shortcomings are the reasons we don’t use it. But you have to decide if you can live with it.

Yes the mainline kernel will boot on an S912, and has the panfrost graphics driver that work with the S912.

So you can boot, navigate around the GUI, possibly get some audio output, and maybe get the odd sample h264 video to sort of play if you are lucky.

However that’s it. Media playback depending on the format is either broken at best or completely missing at worse. You can also forget about using 10bit colour or HDR output. So not really in a usable state for 99% of people. (There is also a long list of smaller problems as well.)

It has over all been great progress, from the developers working on it. Progress on mainline however doesn’t happen quickly.

As far as CoreELEC using the mainline kernel. The developers don’t have Ideological considerations when picking a kernel to use, so any actively developed kernel that can provide the required feature set is an option to be considered. However the mainline kernel currently doesn’t provide the feature set required to see it used in an official stable release at the moment.

After the next major version of CoreELEC is released and any problems that pop up at release get worked out, there maybe some interesting developments.

3 Likes

Update went fine. Smooth Playback. Better than on 9.2.6 really good work!

1 Like

I been using 19 nightly for a little week on my N2+ setting everything up clean install (twice) and have a issue I didn’t have with 2.5.6 or earlier with N2 and N2+.

Often, second or third time I reboot the device it change the resolution to 480p from 2160p (with disable GUI scaling enabled) then when I go to system to change it back the pop-up comes up as soon as I click “system” if im sure I want to keep the change and I need to reboot again to get a the full resolution list only 480p, 720p and 1080p is shown.

I have it connected to a AVR which could be the problem but never had this issue before 19 Matrix.

Thanks for everything.

Collect full log after box start for both cases with problem and without.

Will do, thanks

Reboot to 2160p= http://ix.io/2R2Q

Reboot to 480p= http://ix.io/2R2U

I’m not sure if it could be code error, because kernel is the same
I see a lot of events
hdmitx: hw: ddc timeout
It reads bad edid

Could you try to replug or change HDMI cable sides on box, AVR and TV side? But do it carefully with all devices in powered off state, especially AVR<->box side.
After that check again if issue repeats or not.

1 Like

Normally this happens because the AVR cuts HDMI to the TV when it’s off. You need to save your disp_cap when its working then it will always work.
I am using a disp_cap file myself.

1 Like

Thanks guys, I will give disp_cap a try, is this the right line

cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/disp_cap > /storage/.kodi/userdata/disp_cap

this is in the file copied to userdata its a exec, can it be a .txt or .xml?

480p60hz
576p50hz
720p60hz
1080i60hz
1080p60hz*
720p50hz
1080i50hz
1080p30hz
1080p50hz
1080p25hz
1080p24hz
2160p30hz
2160p25hz
2160p24hz
smpte24hz
smpte25hz
smpte30hz
smpte50hz
smpte60hz
2160p50hz
2160p60hz

Should I move the * to 2160p60hz or 50hz*?

Sorry If I’m OT here. But my Minix U9-H just died on me so I need to get a new box. What would you say are the recommended boxes right now that are able to run Kodi 19?

No need to do this

1 Like

The main benefit would be Kodi 19 support.
In the near future Kodi 19 will become popular, plugins on Leia will no longer be updated and there will be no backwards compatibility from Matrix. For me TvBox with Android is not usable which makes my device useless. This is the reason for my interest in the test versions of LibreElec and mentioning it here. I did not know that there are so many problems with that kernel.

@cdu13a
Thank you for your reply and detailed explanation. I didn’t realize there were so many problems with that kernel that were difficult to solve.

Do you know if anyone tried to contact kaszaq about S912 support on kernel 4.11 via libhybris? From what I have read above he made S912 support possible on kernel 3.14.
Or maybe it would be worth trying to contact Amlgogic about this? Unless there were already such attempts, because I am not knowledgeable enough.

Amlogic doesn’t give a damn. Don’t waste your breath. You can try it with kszaq. Actually GXM (S912) is supported in our 4.9 kernel but since libhybris hack is dead and not working. And there is also zero motivation because we all moved on to more recent Amlogic devices. I suggest to do the same. If you want to keep using it move to libreelec and live with the limitations.