CoreELEC 19 Matrix Discussion (Kodi RC)

Please collect full log + ce-debug log

Yes, Sorry I didn’t mention earlier. The video start playing back at correct fps eventually after waiting on the flickering screen for around 30 seconds.
Just tested again with ‘Space Sweepers’ movie

hi,
does coreelec no longer support System.CoreUsage?

I know something was wrong with the android systems
but i haven’t heard anything about windows and linux

CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-19.0-Matrix_nightly_20210227

looks as if the CPU usage for each core is not supported
$ INFO [System.CoreUsage (0)]
$ INFO [System.CoreUsage (1)]
etc …

works but not live, shows different information after each ReloadSkin

$ INFO [System.CPUUsage] is fine but all cores together

solved:
missing <visible>System.CpuUsage</visible>

I apologize if it has been already explained, but what are the reasons for CoreElec to stick to 4.x kernel? Using 5.x would at least natively pull in up to date media_build drivers.

The currently available vendor kernel is the 4.9 kernel. This is the only maintained kernel that has support for the hardware decoder and all the other media features provided by Amlogic SoC(such as HDR).

While using something like the current 5.11 kernel would get us lots of nice driver updates. The mainline 5.x kernels do not have working support for the hardware decoders that are in the Amlogic SoCs. They also don’t support features such as HDR on Amlogic devices.

So in short you would end up with support for a couple extra USB dvb adapters, gpu drivers for the S912, and loose the ability to play most video content. Overall not a good trade at the moment for the majority of users that want to setup a device for media playback.

5 Likes

@risa2000 If you want to use the 5.11 kernel with something functional, buy a raspberry 4.
And use LibreELEC.

1 Like

Based upon what you know right now, is there reasonable/realistic hope of AMlogic SOC support in 5.x kernels?

Mainline 5.11 kernel has a work in progress reverse engineered panfrost graphics support. It is still not ready for full hardware accelerated media playback for codecs such as vp9 (youtube). Already bifrost gpus are out and support for it mainline kernel is pretty basic
If you are planning to use your amlogic device as a desktop PC, then yes mainline kernel is adequate with kde and gnome support
For hardware accelerated Media Playback, have to rely on the Vendor kernel and that is 4.9 as @cdu13a already explained. Unless Amlogic release their binary blob for 5.x kernel, there is just no hope for it to show up on CE.

So based on current knowledge, that’s a no then.

I created a separate thread to continue(and to organize in one place answers to related FAQ) the discussion about what kernel CoreELEC uses, and the current status of the mainline linux kernel. If further conversation on the subject of linux kernels can move there.
It’s starting to get a little to far off-topic in this thread, which was for discussion of the test build for the next major version of CoreELEC.

1 Like

@Comma, could you remove or rename disp_cap file and try this CE19 build if it fixes EDID issue or not?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k5nP7tYb2zzc3kR2XW-89fIL1F9-MJqG/view

What is the real benefit of CE 19 besides CE 9.2?

It is the current stable. 9.2 is obsolete and in the future new versions of addons won’t be available.
You can still use 9.2.

Not quite what they asked.

So no feature added, like Dolby vision support etc.?

Not much, the most difference is only Kodi Matrix instead Kodi Leia.
It’s only moving forward…

You can ask for more details in Kodi forum about the difference.

Yes, just downloaded will report back.

First 5 reboots, no issue so far.

1 Like

If you have a possibility please collect logs, update to CE-19 stable and check that issue exist again.
If yes, then return back to this version and test it some time to confirm it really fixed

You get to use a new kernel, with all benefits thereoff.