Dolby Vision for Minix U22X-J (Max) and Ugoos AM6+

Do you also need to upload the dovi.ko module?
And which compilation is currently the best in terms of DV performance and where can I download it?
I currently have CoreElec beta 21.

Currently 20.4 and cpm’s update on top of it. I don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes, maybe an official build will be released soon.

I tested your “remux” now and compared with a working sample.
It is a MEL, not FEL. When I set convert it to P8.1 it is RGB,8bit.
But still only red screen.

The main issue is the file get opened by the decoder, closed and opened again. So it switch from SDR to DV to SDR and DV. So I think your remuxs are bad.

Nothing do indicate why the kernel do handle it like this.
I don’t know if I ever will find a solution for such bad remux.

@Portisch How long do you plan to support these devices?

https://wiki.coreelec.org/coreelec:ce_dev_cycle

1 Like

sure! np! my bad!

Anyway, after a lot of struglling, I managed get CE ng-20.5 running with dovi.ko loaded. Now it starting playback of DV content; the Dolby Vision logo comes up at the up corner of the screen for some but all I get a green screen. and the green screen doesn’t go way once it comes up, even after stopping the playback. The only way, so far to get anything else back is a reboot.

This is my settings:

1. Convert Dolby Vision for compatibility set to Lossless under Settings/player/Video
  2. Ues Player Led disabled inder Settings/System/CoreELEC
  3. There is a Denon AVC-X3800H in between U22-XJ and LG G1 OLED TV
  4. TV is set to Cinema mode as the display.

I get the green screen regardless of Ues Player Led enabled or disabled.
https://paste.coreelec.org/QfbwEO

What am I missing here?

That doesn’t make any sense. The proper CS/CD for TV-led DV is always 8-bit RGB, regardless of frame rate.

As for this behavior setting just 8-bit and not even CS seems to result in correct playback every time. The problem though with this approach is for non-DV HDR10 content then incorrectly getting set to 8-bit in YUV. Another odd behavior I noticed: if I starting playing something and it initially triggered 12-bit RGB, inconsistently if I switched out to the home screen, settings, etc. and then hit fullscreen occasionally the picture would blank out and comeback, switched to 8-bit. So definitely something is wonky…

I agree that we shouldn’t waste time in trying to make playback of potentially questionable remuxes, of unknown origin. Who’s to say the creator actually did it correctly (and you can name it anything you want as if it came from a legitimate release group).
Hence it’s better imo to actually test remuxes of samples from the original sources (ie you actually own the disc, personally and made the backup yourself).

Hi All. I have a few quick questions that I am sure you fine people can answer very quickly.

1. How do I install Coreelec to EMMC rather than booting it off the SD card?

2. Why is the cm4.0 update above for version 20.4, and not 20.5? Isn’t 20.5 the latest?

3. Version 20.5 says “* Fixed Dolby Vision on Amlogic-ng” in the release notes. What exactly was fixed? If 20.5 fixed Dolby Vision, then why is 20.4 still being used as the latest recommendation?

Thank you!

I also noticed that sometimes my LG TV reports TV led as RGB 12 bit. Would this actually affect image quality at all? I have only ever seen this happen with the Ugoos.

I pushed a fix today so all tests before tomorrow nightly are useless.

If still have such issue: boot with minimum 20240314 NG-DV nightly, start your DV media. Open SSH and make dmesg | paste and post received URL.

does this nightly will have all of cpm’s tunings or just the 12bit fix? Would be easier for us all to just install the latest nightly and ready for testing instead of telling someone how to install the fixes every second post or so… :slight_smile:

No, it’s a ongoing progress.

1 Like

So just to confirm…if we want to use CPM’s latest CM4.0 fixes, we need to specifically use version 20.4, and then install his .tar as the update?

Also, what exactly was fixed in 20.5 concerning DV? The changelog says “Fixed Dolby Vision on Amlogic-ng”

Could you tag the download link here? I couldn’t find any 20240314 nightly version under the nightly section.

also, does anyone know why I’m getting a green-screen for any DV media? Was it discussed anywere or I’m just alone on this boat?

Because today is 20240313?

:grinning:

aahhh, I know what did you mean now :grinning: sorry! :joy:

I don’t know what was fixed but it was fixed in Amlogic-ng not Amlogic-ng-dv.

1 Like

What is the difference between Amlogic-ng and Amlogic-ng-dv? Sorry, I know this must be a basic question. I found this, but it wasn’t clear still: Amlogic-ng and Dolby Vision

CE-NG-DV = CE with 32bit kernel version 4.9
CE-NG = CE with 64bit kernel version 4.9

CE-NG-DV was created because there was no known 64bit DV driver for the AM6+/U22XJ 10months ago. Now there is a 64bit driver, and a special 32bit branch no longer needs to be maintained. The same DV code from CE-NG-DV is also in CE-NG.

2 Likes