[Guide] Ugoos AM6b+ CoreELEC installation

Compatible Devices

• Ugoos AM6b+
  • Ugoos AM6+
  • Minix U22X-J (Max)

Requirements

Preparing Installation Drive

1. Connect the USB Storage to your PC and open Balena Etcher
2. Select the CoreELEC’s image file (eg. CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-21.0-Omega_nightly_20240430-Generic.img.gz)
3. Select the USB Storage that you want to use, proceed with the installation and make sure that it will complete successfully.
4. Open the COREELEC partition, navigate to “device_trees” folder
5. Copy the appropriate dtb file, e.g. g12b_s922x_ugoos_am6b.dtb file to the root of your COREELEC flash drive rename it dtb.img
6. Copy dovi.ko to the root of your COREELEC flash drive.
7. Copy remote.config to the root of your COREELEC flash drive.
8. Safely remove the USB drive from your PC

CoreELEC Installation

1. Insert the USB drive in a USB port on your device.
2. There are two ways to reboot/boot the device into UPGRADE MODE, one it’s directly from Android, using the ADB command, and the other is by using the Reset Button. Most users find the Reset Button easiest.
a) Reset Button Method

• Turn off the device and remove the DC power connector (or remove the power adapter from the wall socket)
  • Press and keep pressing the reset button,then Power ON the device while keep pressing the reset button until the CoreELEC screen appears.
  • Release the Reset Button

b) ADB Method: Make sure ADB Debug is enabled and working and then run
adb reboot update

3. At this point, if everything went well, CoreELEC should be up and running, so just proceed with the initial setup. For recommended setting, see this post. You might need to experiment to find the best settings for you.

VC-1 Fix
A bug prevents the proper decoding of VC-1 progressive content using hardware acceleration. To fix this issue enable software decoding by going to Settings → Player → Accelerate VC1 and change it to Exclude 24p. You need to make sure that you can see Advance or Expert options.

Remote Control Configuration

Ugoos UR-01 Bluetooth remote pairing

1. Go to Settings → CoreELEC Configuration → Bluetooth
  2. On the Ugoos UR-01 remote press Volume + and Volume - for a few seconds (this will put the remote in pairing mode )
  3. Check if UR-01 is showing in CoreELEC’s Bluetooth screen
  4. Select the remote and press PAIR
  5. Check if CoreELEC is responding to the remote commands

If the menu button does not work, place this file into /storage/.config/hwdb.d/ .

FAQs
1. Which Dolby Vision profiles are supported on these devices?

These devices support Profile 4, 5, 7 FEL STDL, 7 MEL, 8.1, and 8.4.

2. Is FEL supported?

Yes, FEL is supported in the current nightlies. Currently, only single track FEL is supported in CoreELEC, but support for Dual Track FEL decoding is under development.

3. Should I use Player Led Dolby Vision?

No, do not use Player Led Dolby Vision unless your TV does not support display (TV) led Dolby Vision.

4. Why does my TV show BT.709 for Dolby Vision content?

By default, these devices sends a BT.709 flag. Experimentation has shown that this has no impact on color rendering. However, you can set the BT.2020 flag via SSH by running the command

echo Y > /sys/module/hdmitx20/parameters/dovi_tv_led_bt2020

or if you wish to send no colorimetry information use the command

echo Y > /sys/module/hdmitx20/parameters/dovi_tv_led_no_colorimetry

To run these commands automatically on startup, create a file under .config/autostart.sh and paste your desired command in it.

5. Is AV1 supported?

No, these devices do not have hardware support for AV1. While software decoding works for 1080p content, 4k content stutters.

6. Is 3D supported?

No. However, the S922X does support 3D decoding and contains software to do so in the Amlogic linux code. CoreELEC does not utilize this code and no plans exist for the development of support for 3D. Despite this, the CoreELEC team welcomes any patch to enable this feature.

7. Can CoreELEC passthrough DSD via HDMI or USB?

No, Kodi transcodes all DSD to Wav. A passthrough feature in Kodi needs to be developed before CoreELEC can support this feature.

8. Does CoreELEC support the VS10 engine?

No, CoreELEC does not currently support using the VS10 engine. However, support for this feature is in active development.

9. Can I dual boot android and CoreELEC?

Yes, dual booting will speed up CoreELEC and remove the need to use external media. To do so, you need to use the ceemc tool. In short, SSH into you device; then run ceemmc -x; type in Y; then type in 1. Once the process is complete, remove your external media and enjoy.

Information Current as of April 30, 2024.

11 Likes

Thanks a lot @Astrotrain

Thank you.

Setting up Dual boot:

Good write up using the Amlogic Tool:
https://wiki.coreelec.org/coreelec:aml_usb_tool

As mentioned this requires an OTG cable. I believe the tool also only runs in Windows.

Ime even with a fast writable micro SD card, eMMC installation seems much snappier.

EDIT: Don’t use this image. Otherwise you will only get 3GB of total space in your /storage directory. Instead use the ceemmc tool (you’ll get about 25GB this way).

1 Like

Shared Library DB:
While technically not specific to Ugoos, if you have multiple boxes, I highly suggest setting up shared Library databases running in MySQL/MariaDB.

https://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL

I have this setup on no less than 7 devices running some form of Kodi (some CoreELEC, some Android TV some Fire TV). Once the database is setup, it just a matter of copying over like 4-5 small xml files within the Kodi profile.

This took maybe 5 minutes to setup. Then however long a library scan took.

For dual booting, you can also use the ceemc tool. I found it really fast and easy and then you don’t have to buy a special cable.

Yes with ceemmc tool you can uninstall also.

Care to make a guide? I’ve been running the dualboot firmware provided by Ugoos, but would like to reclaim the space since I never plan to reboot into the Android instance.
But i’m getting this error:

Migrate CoreELEC dual boot to single boot installation
  Use CoreELEC data from
    [1] current used SD or USB device
->  [2] the existing data on eMMC
    [3] existing backup on current used SD or USB device

Please choose one option? [1/2/3/4/5/6/7]: 2
Free space of 'partition CE_FLASH': 512MB
Warning: Could not find 'dto' partition!
Could not find 'CE_STORAGE' partition!
Failed to read size of partition 'CE_STORAGE'!
Failed to create new partition table!

I suspect it’s because the tool can’t account for whatever partition layout was setup by the Ugoos dualboot image.

I’m guessing I’ll have to run the Amlogic tool again to revert to the single boot image with only Android. Install fresh CE on an sd card, boot from it and then run the tool?

I’d love a guide too because if it’s faster I’ll use the internal storage, but the lack of space is a big issue.

Nevermind I figured it out. It didn’t like single boot migration so I settled on dualboot still. Once said and done, Much better for space allocations.

I’ll try to write up a howto this evening.

Looking forward to it

Thanks for the guide @Astrotrain
I noticed a suggestion of yours that fixed an issue where the remote unpairs itself involving setting the permission to root.How would one go about that?

I got bored and did it myself and it was as simple as can be. I’d prefer only CoreELEC on the box but I ran into the same issue as you, the tool was yelling about partition tables.

DTDL FEL is an issue only on ISO files. FEL playback from MKV is perfect and this doesn’t make a difference as both tracks are muxed together in encoding and then demuxed during playback. Most people are aware, but wanted to clarify for others.

By default, UHD movies are encoded in BT.709

Not sure how true this is. Open up any DV MKV in mediainfo. 99% will say bt.2020

To fix this issue enable software decoding by going to Settings → Player - >Accelerate VC1 and change it to Exclude 24p.

What settings is everyone using for other codecs: MP4, MPEG-2, and h264?

I think HD-Only is the default on the MP4 codec, I’ve changed that to Always, which is set on h264 and MPEG-2 as well.

I haven’t found any problematic files yet so I set always for MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and h264.

I’d clarify that statement by saying standard for titles with HDR is BT.2020. While nearly every UHD I’ve come across has some form of HDR, but notable exceptions like The good, the bad and the ugly being an SDR 4K encoding (also being BT.709).

You’re absolutely right about P1, so I fixed the first point.

For point 2, this has to do with a specific bug in hardware decoding of VC1 content. Not sure if the underlying bug is fixable, but this enables software decoding of progressive content to workaround the bug.

Is the installation permanent on the device afterward ?
Can the USB device used for install be removed totally ?

If you use the ceemc tool you will not need the USB drive or SD card in the device, but if you do not dual boot you will need whatever device you installed CoreELEC on plugged in at all times.

1 Like

So I followed the guide using a microSD card, the partition resizing didn’t work and I ended up with no space.
I tried with Rufus afterward, and it worked, the partition resized ok, with everything else working as expected, TV-Led DV and all :tada:
I got a few questions @Astrotrain :

1. we have to copy dovi.ko to the root of the SD card, will it always be that way or can we expect a CoreElec release bundled with it ?
    2.On point 4 it’s written that we now have two partitions, is it really the case before CoreElec boots up ?
  2. You warn to not boot into Android, in which case can it happen ? : I shutdown my devices several times and it always booted on CoreElec

On some devices dovi.ko is used directly from Android. But when thre is not correct version the file must be manualy copied. And this file will never be in the image.