Khadas VIM3L HTPC Kit!

Khadas has recently launched a lite-version of their VIM3 killer SBC; that they have aptly named the VIM3L, the VIM3L is an affordably priced SBC with the Amlogic S905D3 SoC.

As many of you know, we here at CoreELEC have been collaborating more closely with our partners than ever before and as a result of this, Khadas has made a HTPC bundle of the VIM3L available with CoreELEC preinstalled!

You can purchase the Khadas VIM3L HTPC Kit now which includes, a transparent DIY case, a heatsink, metal plate for DIY case, IR remote and 2* Wi-Fi antennas for $89.99 with free worldwide shipping.

A full breakdown of the specs of the Khadas VIM3L can be viewed here.

04a2a6_945a8bb4b9fe4e82b3a3b916c10a2fd7_mv2_d_2500_1667_s_204a2a6_828b419ea11443348b7a29c63f67a4ff_mv2_d_2500_2500_s_4_2

7 Likes

looks very nice
where is CE installed, on the fast internal emmc?

Yes its installed on the eMMC with the whole amount being usable and accessible to CoreELEC.

1 Like

hmm, I dont remember, if CE and Wifi antennas was included in the preorder package…

My thoughts are that CE for VIM3L needs to be tested/developed/polished yet.

Anyway, great to see nice coop here, users will be very happy - in case there doesnt pop some dealbreaker as HDMI-(power)issues in N2 case.

The wifi antennas are included with every board regardless of if you choose to purchase the kit option or not.

what about for Quality video if i compare VIM3 ?
Same Quality ? or less than VIM3 ?

They use the same video blocks, AFAIK, so the video quality should be the same.

Cool :slight_smile: I think I didnt realize it has wifi chip when I order it. Nice too see clever design with pigtail support, instead shitty internal antenna.

Two questions: The website doesn’t mention CoreElec? Is it just understood?
Is CoreElec tuned for this chip now?

It’s still work in progress, but it mostly works.

I Got mine vim3l and HDR is on non stop so i tried manual update to nightly… it is now stuck on khadas logo screen. How can i reinstall Coreelec now??

You need to use the following image here with the VIM3L with the latest version of USB Burning Tool, connect the USB-C lead from power into your PC and press the function button 3 times rapidly and you will see the VIM3L appear.

VIM3L can not use our nightlies yet as it’s using our newer experimental kernel that isn’t in nightlies.

1 Like

Big thanks

Sorry would you mind explaining this to an idiot like me please?
I’ve got the burning tool and connected the VIM3L to my PC (Windows 10) but what is the function button I press, is it on my PC or on the VIM3L?

The function button is the middle of the 3 buttons on the side of the vim3l.

For reference about 3/4 of the way down the page there is a labeled diagram of the vim3l https://www.khadas.com/vim3l

Many thanks

I am a proud holder of vim3l htpc kit. But … The remote does not turn on the Khadas, if it turns it off, but it does not turn on. Some people have also commented on the khadas forum

1 Like

Not yet developed. Will work eventually.

Shoog

1 Like

I hooked up my Vim3L to my TV USB port.
I set box to turn OFF whwen TV is turned OFF.
I turn on TV and the Vim3L powers on.
Not a fix but it may help for now.

2 Likes

It’s a good idea! Too bad I didn’t think about it before and spend $ 5 on the power adapter