LE to CE on Minix U9H

Hello All,

I just discovered CE and happy to see the focus is on AML devices :slight_smile: (thanks for your hardwork !!)
I’m currently using LE 8.2.2.3 on Minix U9H with Plex and PKC plugin. So far, all is working pretty fine, with the features that I need:

• 4k HDR content playing nicely and smoothly and with autoswitch
  • media content hosted on 2 NAS, using SMB
  • TrueHD / Atmos / DTS:X
  • External subtitles perfectly integrated
  • Logitech Harmony Remote (i’m using windows profile)

I would like to give a try to Kodi 18 CE and I want to know if there are any important drawback I should know before switching for good. So the best way is for me to try it of course ! But I would like to confirm the below 2 points with the community:

• My current LE is installed on internal memory of Minix U9H, can I install CE on SD card (or USB) and boot on it without trouble or deleting my current LE install ?

• Should i install: CoreELEC-S912.arm-8.95.7-S912.img.gz or 8.99.1.1 ?

Thank you

My current LE is installed on internal memory of Minix U9H, can I install CE on SD card (or USB) and boot on it without trouble or deleting my current LE install ?

Yes

Should i install: CoreELEC-S912.arm-8.95.7-S912.img.gz or 8.99.1.1

8.99.1.1 is our latest release so go with this, there is an issue with dvb adapters on this release but it has been fixed in our nightly if you require this.

Dear @anon88919003

Thank you for your quick reply, I will give a try to 8.99.1.1
Is there any important known bug or issue I should know about for Minix U9 / S912 and CE latest build ?

Only the one I already mentioned.

ok and last question before i give a try:
on the github repo, there is only source code for 8.99.1.1, how can I build image for S912 ?

If you have to ask that question then I don’t think you should be building it :stuck_out_tongue:

As CoreELEC is a fork of LE you can follow their wiki here and just use our source URL, everything else is the same.

haha yes, but I like to learn by doing, so I will try :smiley:
Thx !

Well too many error during the make, I will wait for the official images :wink:

No need to wait for them, they are already available:

Ah super, will give it a try !

So i finish my tests and so far it seems to work pretty well, a part from 2 bugs

• Cannot use bluetooth (the list that shows all available devices keeps refreshing every half seconds). this is a blocking point for me as it prevents me from using harmony remote
  • The skins reload itself after sometimes of usage, especially when I browse various settings (not sure if this is a skin issue or CE issue)

Anyway, BIG thanks to all devs for all your hard work and making Kodi working on AML !

Did you copy the right device tree (gxm_q200_2g_minix_neo_u9) to the root of your sd card and renamed it to “dtb.img”?

well no, I didnt do that…
However, and as strange as it seems, it’s now working fine. I didnt do anything in particular tbh, simply checking the bluetooth version via ssh. i the went on doing other things, leaving the box running. Then when I came back (Several hours after) the bluetooth was stable and I could select my remote and connect to it.
Now everything is fine so far !

I didnt select any device tree when installing CE, so I was using the one by default in 8.99.1.2

Is there a way I can “update” by using the correct one ? Or should I reinstall everything ? (so far everything is installed and properly configured, I’d rather not do a blank installation again…

Thank you

Put the SD card into your computer, and copy over the correct DTB from the device trees folder to the root of the SD card, then rename it to dtb.img. You should really read the installation instructions before posting questions that have been answered countless times.

@TheCoolest he already said hes running from internal.

@plouf
As @TheCoolest says you should really read the install guide before installing, its imperative that you install the U9H specific DTB as there is a bunch of things that will not work without it.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/dtb bs=256k count=1 status=none
dd if="/usr/share/bootloader/device_trees/gxm_q200_2g_minix_neo_u9.dtb" of=/dev/dtb bs=256k status=none

No further assistance will be offered as per link.

Well, I did say LE was on internal memory but CE is on SD card and working fine so far.

I didn’t put the right device tree before my setup (my bad for sure !)

My question was: can i put the right device tree at the root of my SD card now that everything is working fine ? Or should I do another fresh install and re configure everything in Kodi ?

Thank you

Yes, you can replace the DTB on the SD root.

Sorry my bad, I misread, as above just copy and replace and your all good :slight_smile:

ok, just did it and everything seems ok :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for your work @devs !!