[S905X3] X96Air_P3

Did you finally buy it?

Did you finally buy it?

Sorry, wasn’t you who I wanted to quote

I wonder who really needs a thermal mod?

On my X96 Air P3 I have idle temps of 47C with performance and 44C with ondemand, Room temp is 23C. The box rests in an aluminium platform, that probably helps a tiny bit, would probably be 2-3C more on wood. But idle for sure is no problem. And shouldn‘t be for anyone unless you do fancy skin stuff.

Now load is use case specific. I only use the box for 1080p and 2160p 23.976fps hardware accelerated material coming from a Synology NAS. Nothing else ever. Like ever ever. I do use subtitles very often and that kind of has been the reason to say goodbye to my old s905x box, which did struggle with it. The X96 Air does have no problem with subs.

Temps on that use case really never tops 70C even with performance governeur. Usually it hovers between 55C (1080p) and 65C (2160p) in mentioned use case, most of the time even less. I see no difference regarding frame drops in that use case between performance and ondemand, there simply are none ever. No frame drops with or without subs and I am very sensitive to even the slightest frame drop (years with 24p issue on the old WD TV schooled me good).

I see people advising to get a thermal mod xyz for box zyx all the time without even knowing the use case. Isn‘t that a bit premature?

My X96Air runs at 59C on idle without cooling running performance. Working this rise to 70C where it thermally throttles and pulls back the CPU speed every few seconds. Thats an observable fact with my X96Air.

Its possible that the hardware may have changed on later versions to account for your lower operating temps - but what I am reporting is observed fact for my X96Air.

You will not notice any difference between performance and ondemand governor when watching media - since this is carried out by the hardware decoders which are well up to the job. Where you will notice a difference is when in the GUI and when scraping media which is CPU intensive and can be very demanding depending on the SKIN you are running.

Shoog

That standby temp is most definately different. Even after watching a video for two hours, mine quickly drops below 50C within minutes.

I agree that browsing a (big) library is more intense than the actual playback. I think that was the only time I could push the box towards 70C. But that was a forced behavior and not how I would actually use the box

Coming from a S905X, the gui performance of the x96 air is a pleasent surprise for me. Most definately noticable. I made the switch for better subtitle rendering but the gui speed is now a nice extra.

I will keep in an eye for any performance drops in the gui but my guess is that I would either not push it towards throttling or wouldn‘t notice.

Reading some of your other posts, is the gui performance of the x96 air non-throttling really comparable to the N2? Because the only reason I would have bought the N2 would be for absolutely ace gui performance, like I have on my nvidia shield (which unfortunately sucks in so many other regards).

I really can see no difference between the N2 and the X96Air when running CE, but I do run my X96Air with Performance Governor. Maybe there is a slight bit but I cannot notice it.

If there was a noticable difference I would run the N2 on my main living room system. I don’t because I use a Khadas toneboard for the audio and this is a better match to the X96Air.

Shoog

1 Like

Hi, I have such a problem that I can turn on the gigabit LAN only with the command “ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000 duplex full”, by default, after turning on, I only have 100 Mbps. Installed the latest stable release and sm1_s905x3_4g_1gbit.dtb. What could be the problem?

post the output of ethtool eth0 to see the capabilities and auto-negotiation between box & router.

Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: No
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Supported FEC modes: Not reported
Advertised link modes: 1000baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: No
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Link partner advertised pause frame use: No
Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: MII
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: external
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: ug
Wake-on: d
Current message level: 0x0000003f (63)
drv probe link timer ifdown ifup
Link detected: yes

This is output after ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000 duplex full

If i boot to Android i have 1 Gbit

Looks OK for me.
Please post output after CE startup, when Link is only established at 100Mbps.
And post dmesg log

Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: No
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Supported FEC modes: Not reported
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: No
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
Link partner advertised pause frame use: No
Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: MII
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: external
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: ug
Wake-on: d
Current message level: 0x0000003f (63)
drv probe link timer ifdown ifup
Link detected: yes

http://ix.io/2AlI

The problem is not on CE side, it’s on your network:
“Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full”
It doesn’t offer 1000baseT/Full during auto-negotiation, although it seems to be capable when you force it by command. Check for interface port settings.

Why then, when I turn on the android, I immediately have 1 Gbps? Port is set to 1000.

Maybe Android has a different timing for network startup, or just doesn’t use auto-neg at all, who knows.
You may check if the behaviour of your router changes over time, by dis-/re-connecting the cable & rechecking the announcement.

What happens if you configure the specific port on the router to force Gigabit rather than use auto-negotiation?

As I already wrote, the port is configured for 1 Gbps

You don´t understand.
The port is only advertising 10 and 100 link modes.

You can set Gb speed using autostart.sh
or buy a better switch/router

No, I understand everything. In the router I can configure the Green / Power Mod which corresponds to 100/1000, and all 5 LAN ports are set to 1000. I have a Fritzbox 7590 and this is a top model.