USB DVB Tuners and Odroid N2

Well this is difficult.

Running latest nightly, latest DVB drivers, Latest TVHEADEND.

Cannot login to setup interface, connection refused.

Going to Live TV tab i get PVR is starting up 0%

Confused?

Currently trying an XB1 tuner, but also found a PS3 Play TV, ?

Be sure that youā€™re running the latest version of tvheadend server.

Says 4.4.18.2

Thatā€™s the client. You have to install tvheadend server from Services add-ons.

OMG Thankyou i am so dumb!. I thought i already did that, SHAMEā€¦

I am using a XBOX ONE Tuner, but found a PS3 Play TV one in the cupboard, i hear this is better as it has dual tuners, would it be better to use that?

Iā€™m using one of these on my N2 and it works great as long as you donā€™t connect it to the rear USB 3 ports as it will fail after a few mins of watching FTA TV. Use the micro USB 2 port and all is good.

Is the Play TV better than the Xbox one?.
I seem to be up and running yay, although missing HD channels?

Canā€™t comment on that as I only use the Play TV and itā€™s been great with SD and HD.

Any idea why i am missing the HD Channels?

Sorry cannot help on that one, mine just worked straight up. Maybe someone else has an idea.

Totally weird. Will have to look into that one., also as im running off a 16gb emmc, I cant use that for recording, how do i know the exact path to type in for my external drive?, everything i have tried fails.

@roden

1 Like

Yes - have a WinTV HD Dual and am running with Media Build.

Iā€™ve had a few attempts with these - they donā€™t seem to be that sensitive (i.e. you need a better signal with them than other DVB-T2 tuners). I also found that they had issues at some frequencies (Iā€™m UK Crystal Palace)

They were OK - and very cheap - but the Win TV Dual HD seemed more robust with my aerial feed. (Though Iā€™ve lost COM7 and COM8 with the move to UK-wide SFNs that have taken them out-of-band for a legacy Crystal Palace aerial)

Play TV is a dual tuner, but DVB-T only - so it wonā€™t get HD channels in the UK where DVB-T2 is used for HD (Th Play TV will get HD in places like France, Norway, New Zealand, Aus where HD is DVB-T not DVB-T2)

The Xbox One tuner is a single tuner, but DVB-T2, so will get Freeview HD in the UK.

@vlade if you are still struggling - no need to build TVH on an N2 - itā€™s installable in the Services area of the CoreElec Add Ons Repo.

Reboot, then access it via http://your.n2.ip.address:9981

(The :9981 is vital)

To watch TV on the N2 you also need to add a PVR Client as well.

The standard CE repo has 4.2.something

I was looking for 4.3, to see whether it worked any better. The issue with Hauppageā€™s DualTV seems to be that once CE goes to suspend, it somehow loses the connection and the ability to re-tune.

I.e.:
Hauppauge Dual TV (dual tuner, T and T2 support): - works only of the micro USB2 on the front, doesnā€™t work with USB3 on the back. Stops working on suspend, requires reboot. Deadly if you want your box to suspend and wake up for recording.

XBOX Tuner (single tuner, T and T2 support)- works ok with the back USB3 ports, but has problem if your DVB-T2 uses dynamic PMT tables, in which case you may get mostly just sound, and often nothing (reportedly it works with Xbox in such a situation).

Hauppage seems to be more choppy on T2 channels than Xbox.

Ordered now DVBSky T330, so will seeā€¦

All on 9.2.0 stable + standard TVH.

Other options for reliable working are SiliconDust HD-HomeRun Dual or Quad DVB-T/T2 network tuners. That removes all driver issues from your set-up. Iā€™ve had a Dual HDHR running into a small ODroid HC1 + 2.5" HDD running OpenMediaVault and TV Headend for a while now - it ā€œjust worksā€, whilst others use their NASs to run TV Headend with the HDHR as their tuner solution. The HC1 draws such little current I leave it always on though.

Separating TV Headend backend from your Kodi front end does make life a lot easier - particularly if you have multiple Kodi front ends (as I do)

Ok well i have a very good signal, and have now scanned my channels 3 times but still all HD are missing?

Dont get it.

The Adaptor Comes up in TVH AS T Not T2 though?

What model of DVB-T2 tuner are you using - and which set of drivers do you have installed in CoreElec - regular, Crazy cat or Media Build?

For me, the best and cheapest is Microsoft Xbox One Digital TV Tuner (~10/11ā‚¬). It works with Media Build drivers.

Note: I had a problem with a local TV channel that changed the frequency, but I wrote an email requesting the revision of the transmission parameters and on the third day everything was solved. The tuner was not guilty.